Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the Macleod xing need doing ? I'm on that line but never seem to see alot of cars waiting there.

Watsonia getting new station too ( n.e.link related )
Yeah I would've have thought Macleod was low on the priority list for removal. It will get removed but not until a lot of others are done first.

I thought Watsonia was just getting a multi story car park. Not sure a new station is getting done as the NE link has no effect on it.

Are you sure about that? The Hurstbridge line duplication project is scheduled to be completed in early 2023. The Macleod level crossing was only announced a month before the election and is likely years away from commencing.
Well there you go. I thought a lot of others including Diamond Creek and Station St would go before this.

So your comment about not reading was just another dumb remark, and not referring to anything i missed?
No it was a comment about the fact you're arguing a trench doesn't cut a suburb in half, which it does

Sections of some of London's Tube lines are shallow open trenches that were deliberately built over. You'd never know from the street. Fed Square was built over the railway line.
Most of the NYC subway was built this way. Gives people easy access as it is shallow compared to tunneling that is forcibly far deeper down.

No it was a comment about the fact you're arguing a trench doesn't cut a suburb in half, which it does
It depends on the trench. The one I was discussing in Rosanna would only be for the Lwr plenty Rd crossing.

Also that doesn't have anything to do with the topic of reading.

It depends on the trench. The one I was discussing in Rosanna would only be for the Lwr plenty Rd crossing.

Also that doesn't have anything to do with the topic of reading.
Sure it does you replied to someone who was talking about Skyrail

Watsonias train line and station is a far better design than Skyrail.
One of my few times on Watsonia station had my grabbing a bloke by the shirt and threatening to biff him if he didn't delete the upskirting photos he was taking of schoolgirls walking up the ramp.

So yeah, the station could do with a few upgrades.

Well there you go. I thought a lot of others including Diamond Creek and Station St would go before this.
That they didn't do the Diamond Creek level crossing at the same time as the Hurstbridge Duplication suggests that there are no plans to remove it the foreseeable future.

If they ever do Station St, I would think it would be done as a Skyrail project including Victoria Rd and Westgarth St.

Yep. Example: Old Chandler Hwy bridge. Originally built for the Outer Circle railway, then converted to a single lane each way road bridge and finally now a walking/cycling path next to the new six-lane bridge.

chandler-bridge-feature-1.png

A pity they didn't keep the old wooden bridge over the Mordi creek when they built the concrete one in the late 70s.

a2c6618bd22be9c8a1a9cf3d97d23ce2.jpg

Just remembered a moment in the early 80s coming home from somewhere on a packed Frankston bound train (an old blue Harris) and two young dickhead had parked their bikes in the doorway. An elderly woman asked if they could move their bikes when she was trying to get off at Mordialloc. They told her to F*** off and laughed and she had to use another door.

A big, burly bloke was standing nearby and said nothing.

As the train went over the bridge he reached over, opened the door and threw both bikes out into the creek.

The kids were speechless.

"Next time, move yer bikes," the bloke said.

A pity they didn't keep the old wooden bridge over the Mordi creek when they built the concrete one in the late 70s.

View attachment 1565125

Just remembered a moment in the early 80s coming home from somewhere on a packed Frankston bound train (an old blue Harris) and two young dickhead had parked their bikes in the doorway. An elderly woman asked if they could move their bikes when she was trying to get off at Mordialloc. They told her to F*** off and laughed and she had to use another door.

A big, burly bloke was standing nearby and said nothing.

As the train went over the bridge he reached over, opened the door and threw both bikes out into the creek.

The kids were speechless.

"Next time, move yer bikes," the bloke said.

Beautiful 👍 Should be more of this.

( bloody lucky he didn't turf them )

He was talking about both skyrail and trenches.
again this is what I mean about you not reading

I've bolded the important bit, you replied to a post about the difference in the end result of skyrail vs trenching that train line, so no you talking about Rosanna has literally nothing to do with the post you replied to
I work at a ‘skyrail’ station and live in the same suburb as it. It’s a great design. It’s opened up the suburb. A trench would’ve kept it split in 2.
this is your reply, you don't see how trenching would give a different end result to elevated rail as far as ability to cross the rail line goes
A trench would have the same crossing points so I don't see how it would split a suburb in half.

we know that its massively different as an end result

the result of the elevated rail line freeing up 22.5 hectares of open space below it to create a 17-kilometre linear park.

you're acting like that reclaimed space doesn't exist for starters, there are so many more crossing points for pedestrains, cyclists etc

Bowen, for one, is broadly supportive of the new rail line. He is especially pleased to see better interchanges between travel modes. As he points out, bus stops have been moved nearer to the station entrances, improving connections and bicycle access into the stations via shared paths has also been improved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You talking about Rosanna has literally nothing to do with the post you replied to
Of course it does, it's probably why the trench comment was even made. Earlier we were also talking about natural or man made.
this is your reply, you don't see how trenching would give a different end result to elevated rail as far as ability to cross the rail line goes
No I said I don't see how it splits a suburb in half.

The opinion about having minimal impact on the landscape was also expressed by other posters and even citing examples such as in London or NY.

So again, this has nothing to do with not being able to read.

Maybe just don't post like a 12 year old next time.

Last edited:
I mean, there's a good reason why wooden bridges over permanent waterways don't last very long. All the great old trestle bridges remaining are over mostly dry gullies/creeks.

Of course it does, it's probably why the trench comment was even made. Earlier we were also talking about natural or man made.

No I said I don't see how it splits a suburb in half.

The opinion about having minimal impact on the landscape was also expressed by other posters and even citing examples such as in London or NY.

So again, this has nothing to do with not being able to read.

Maybe just don't post like a 12 year old next time.
no your excuse when arguing against sky rail which is from Dandenong to Caulfield is but Rosanna, Rosanna has nothing to do with Sky Rail, that was a specific project, you're talking about elevated rail in general.

Train lines absolutely cut suburbs in half, trenches don't do anything about that, tunnels do, elevated rail does.

If you can't see how kms of trenches split a suburb in half you're really not qualified to talk about rail projects and should just piss off

no your excuse when arguing against sky rail which is from Dandenong to Caulfield is but Rosanna
Rosanna was one example, and presented as such.
Train lines absolutely cut suburbs in half, trenches don't do anything about that
Of course they do, they provide multiple uninterrupted crossings for cars and pedestrians.

Traffic crossings are the main benefit obviously in level crossing removals, and you get that with either build.

If you can't see how kms of trenches split a suburb in half you're really not qualified to talk about rail projects and should just piss
Examples have already been provided, and in much higher density cities than Melbourne. I also didn't mention kilometres of trenches in any one area.

Last edited:
The real question is, where is the value for money in putting the rail under the road only to bridge over it every few hundred metres or even worse, to do a complete cut and cover solution which requires thousands of m3 of steel and concrete to create load bearing structures, no different to an elevated railway in concept but end up being more expansive due to a trench with reinforced walls for soil retention being wider than an elevated rail?

Unpopular opinion, but I couldn't give a * if the people along the CD9 do not like the new view and there's no way known I could be convinced that my tax money is better spent preserving the ambience of a neighbourhood I don't live in than actually building other s**t instead. Only solution I've got for them is to sell your million dollar property, buy somewhere else and * right off.

The real question is, where is the value for money in putting the rail under the road only to bridge over it every few hundred metres or even worse, to do a complete cut and cover solution which requires thousands of m3 of steel and concrete to create load bearing structures, no different to an elevated railway in concept but end up being more expansive due to a trench with reinforced walls for soil retention being wider than an elevated rail?

Unpopular opinion, but I couldn't give a * if the people along the CD9 do not like the new view and there's no way known I could be convinced that my tax money is better spent preserving the ambience of a neighbourhood I don't live in than actually building other s**t instead. Only solution I've got for them is to sell your million dollar property, buy somewhere else and * right off.

Level crossings have never really explained the impact of ventilating cut and covers as well, which can have a pretty major impact on suburbs.

I look at places like Rosanna and Toorak Road, and neither of them provide better services or outcomes to the community if they use a rail under solution. They just don't get community spaces and they get less vegetation to eventually screen structures. I compare it to Grange Rd in Fairfield (Alphington?), where rail under was an easier solution - but it's not a better solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back