Howard loses support of Turnbull & Downer?!?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Juddism

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 17, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Claremont Football Club
FOREIGN Minister Alexander Downer and Environment Minister Malcolm Turnbull no longer believe Prime Minister John Howard should lead the Liberal Party, Sky News has reported.

Sky said both senior ministers had spoken to Mr Howard, but did not tell him to go.

"But not telling him to go, saying their view is that it would be better for the Government if he did go," Sky said.
Mr Howard discussed his future at length with his family on Sunday, Sky said.

Mr Howard is hosting Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper today following the APEC leaders' summit at the weekend.
But he has previously resisted any pressure to hand over the leadership reins, inisisting that it would be he who would lead the party to the federal election, and not the man expected to take over from him eventually, Treasurer Peter Costello.

Health Minister Tony Abbott said last night that "rational self-interest" among Coalition MPs would ensure Mr Howard would stay leader despite the Federal Government's miserable polling.
That may not be enough to save Mr Howard.
An ACNielsen poll published yesterday gave Labor a 57-43 lead two-party preferred over the Government and Labor leader Kevin Rudd was preferred prime minister by 52 per cent to Mr Howard's 39 per cent.

Mr Abbott said yesterday that Mr Downer, regarded as the one who would tap Mr Howard on the shoulder if his time had come, would stay loyal.
"It would be out of character for him to do anything other than stick with the man who has been such a friend and ally of his throughout Alexander's career," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22398637-29277,00.html

"It would be out of character for him to do anything other than stick with the man who has been such a friend and ally of his throughout Alexander's career," he said.

I never knew a Friend stabs you in the back repeatly Tony. Maybe thats what Opus Dei get up to

either way you look at it Howard's position is unworkable with the current reports floating about the place. I'd prefer to vote the bastard out but I might not get the chance.

Source?

I don't get this - FWIW IIRC polling claims that Costello is very unpopular as a potential PM.

The Government is rattled, very rattled. Maybe with everything going on at the moment they have forgotten that Howard is the most popular leader in the Coalition.

Source?

I don't get this - FWIW IIRC polling claims that Costello is very unpopular as a potential PM.

NSW would have to join in and thats Abbott. Costello hasn't made a move so is this a spill? You might end up with someone else

Source?

I put no store by that at all. Once he's in the job, perceptions would change very quickly.

Instead of just banging on about the economy, Leadership would give Costello a canvass for his broad brush.

I have absolutely no doubt that the polls regarding Costello are useless, and would have no bearing on his ultimate popluarity.

What was Howard once? Mr 17.5%?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I put no store by that at all. Once he's in the job, perceptions would change very quickly.

Instead of just banging on about the economy, Leadership would give Costello a canvass for his broad brush.

I have absolutely no doubt that the polls regarding Costello are useless, and would have no bearing on his ultimate popluarity.

What was Howard once? Mr 17.5%?

I think his polling numbers would rise once in the job, but would they rise enough? But as it stands, this election is over, so I suppose some are asking whether it's better to ride it out, get spanked and try nothing or hand it over, let Costello get amped up and try to make Labor think for a few weeks.

Currently, Labor is holding the Liberal midget at arms length and is firmly kicking him in the testicles.

well it's now apparent that the ALP's biggest assets are Howard & Costello themselves, just hope he stays until election day.

I watched rodents press conference with Harper from Canada.

Last question to rodent was about the leadership, to which rodent replied he isn't going anywhere and anybody who knows him knows he loves a fight.

My worst fear was rodent caving in meekly to the plotters. Where's the political fun in that?

I misunderestimated the cornered rodent.

Sen-bloody-sational, this is going to be a drawn out bloodfight.

This does look ominous.

I'd say a change of leadership is now more likely than not.

Howard's reference to not running from a fight would appear to make all this more than a rumour.

Raises three questions:

1. Presume that is no other alternative to Costello who could realistically get up?

2. Who will get the deputy leadership and Treasurer?

3. What impact would such a leadership change have on the dynamics of things? If nothing else, I presume it would push the election date back.

Howard's reference to not running from a fight would appear to make all this more than a rumour.

Raises three questions:

1. Presume that is no other alternative to Costello who could realistically get up?

3. What impact would such a leadership change have on the dynamics of things? If nothing else, I presume it would push the election date back.

its less about winning the election and more about setting themselves up for being in opposition, the way I see it is this, Turnbull is probably engineering to get Downer to give Howard the tap, why? because he knows that Costello will cop a hiding if he goes to the polls as PM and the Liberal party will have to assess if Costello (provided he doesn't lose his seat) is the best person to lead the Liberals in opposition. If Costello does lose his seat then the only logical person to lead the party is Turnbull.

I think his polling numbers would rise once in the job, but would they rise enough? But as it stands, this election is over, so I suppose some are asking whether it's better to ride it out, get spanked and try nothing or hand it over, let Costello get amped up and try to make Labor think for a few weeks.

Currently, Labor is holding the Liberal midget at arms length and is firmly kicking him in the testicles.

too late now, he should have given Peter Hamlet a few months at least

Raises three questions:

to misquote Arnie: It's not a rumour!

The journalist has backed her sources, and the likes of Bolt believe there's substance. Howard isn't running from the fight, he never would have. He's too power hungry.

Here's the issue: "I will stay leader as long as my party want me to, and it is in the best interest of the party that I do so".

I'd suggest both of those criteria no longer stand-up. Funny how he's ditched that line today, isn't it?

The timing of Beattie's resignation was genius, it really was.

its less about winning the election and more about setting themselves up for being in opposition, the way I see it is this, Turnbull is probably engineering to get Downer to give Howard the tap, why? because he knows that Costello will cop a hiding if he goes to the polls as PM and the Liberal party will have to assess if Costello (provided he doesn't lose his seat) is the best person to lead the Liberals in opposition. If Costello does lose his seat then the only logical person to lead the party is Turnbull.

You have been reading too much of the 'Prince'. No one who has started leading a party newly in Opposition has become PM

Surely Turnbull wish is to either lead now or ensure he stays in Govt?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back