Player Watch Hugh Bond - Pick 50, 2022 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like our Brown replacement. Will go straight past Jones and Parnell for the Elliot/Papley type match ups

Nick Smith Mk2

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I like parnell at half back or even up on a wing so it would be ok if bond does get a chance back pocket to allow this possible opportunity for parnell

Got a bit of the Haggis special about this one.

He's turned his attention to footy later than most, shown he can play at the elite level and still has scope for improvement.

What's interesting is that we seem to be recruiting blokes who have a bit of mongrel about them. A few of these younger mids love a tackle and love to get at it - they also run hard both ways. I like it.

Seems like another inside physical type. We really need more class in midfield now though, we have enough brutes now!
While I don't disagree on the need for class in our midfield, realistically there's not a huge amount of that floating around at pick 50 in any draft. You're into diamond-in-the-rough territory down there... find players who have attributes you can work with, knowing that they also have deficiencies that will need to be worked on. We spent our 1st on Rankine who has plenty of class, so it's not like we're not addressing that need.

I'm a little turned on with this pick and I don't mean in sexual way I mean in a footy sense. I love powerful big bodied inside mids that are aggressive at it and he ticks those boxes. I'm hoping we have picked up the bargain of the draft with James (that has to be his nickname and if it isn't already then, I'm making him James going forward.

Ed Langdon was pick 54 so you never know Hugh (sorry) James just maybe the biggest bargain of the draft. He looks ready to go.

Last edited:
Got a bit of the Haggis special about this one.

He's turned his attention to footy later than most, shown he can play at the elite level and still has scope for improvement.

What's interesting is that we seem to be recruiting blokes who have a bit of mongrel about them. A few of these younger mids love a tackle and love to get at it - they also run hard both ways. I like it.
Got a bit of Jack Steele about him ....the marks against Steele, when he left GWS, was his lack of pace & disposal

Well, it's amazing what effort & hard work can do ......I'm not hearing those same complaints being said now .....universally admired for his leadership

Bond has some eerily similar traits

I'm a little turned on with this pick and I don't mean in sexual way I mean in a footy sense. I love powerful big bodied inside mids that are aggressive at it and he ticks those boxes. I'm hoping we have picked up the bargain of the draft with James (that has to be his nickname and if it isn't already then, I'm giving him making James going forward.

Ed Langdon was pick 54 so you never know Hugh (sorry) James just maybe the biggest bargain of the draft. He looks ready to go.
He is built like Mark Ricciuto, and from footage is similarly a bit of a bull as well. Let's hope that his late move to specialize in footy means he has huge upside and so can hone his skills to be Riccuito like. Ricciuto started on the half back flank for the Crows and then progressed to play in the middle and up-forward. Doesn't hurt to have players like Bond and Dowling who can play multple positions. In fact, it is a big positive!

I'm a little turned on with this pick and I don't mean in sexual way I mean in a footy sense. I love powerful big bodied inside mids that are aggressive at it and he ticks those boxes. I'm hoping we have picked up the bargain of the draft with James (that has to be his nickname and if it isn't already then, I'm giving him making James going forward.

James?

And here I was getting all excited at the thought of a bit of Bondage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

r0_0_5568_3712_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
Rowers generally have big tanks, so endurance should not be an issue

#weflyasone - Word on the street is 007 on the back pics to come. If it doesn't work out he can always work for Bondys Contractors. So, there's that!

Jeez that's harsh. Dowlings only just walked in the door.
Both lads walked thru the door at the same time .....I haven't said anyone's going to fail .....except to infer, the inside mid has a better chance, than the outside mid

I think after his shut down roles for VC at the Nationals he might be our Luke Brown replacement.....don't forget it was really his first crack in that role and he absolutely excelled. Small/medium defenders will know their in for a hard day when he goes to them. Can run all day too so he has versatility to play midfield as required.
He will have excellent training partners in McAdam, Rankine and Rachelle of that's the way the coaches go.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I like parnell at half back or even up on a wing so it would be ok if bond does get a chance back pocket to allow this possible opportunity for parnell

I like Parnell as well. Just worry about size/strength on the last line of defence when one out against quality small forwards.

I like Parnell as well. Just worry about size/strength on the last line of defence when one out against quality small forwards.

Plus it kind of wastes Parnell having him there. The kids got the scope to develop a strong offensive game as a half back.

Bond just seems like a good balancing pick for that defensive unit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back