Player Watch Hugh Bond - Pick 50, 2022 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Another tackling machine to go with Berry. Would love to see the two of them at their peak in the middle together, might put a bit of pressure on the oppo.

Another tackling machine to go with Berry. Would love to see the two of them at their peak in the middle together, might put a bit of pressure on the oppo.

I mean, pressure hasn't been a genuine concern for Adelaide for a while, with Laird and Keays both being serious defensive players in their own right. The killer is it isn't a group that can roll with the punches with the top-tier midfielders when that aspect is off, and I doubt Bond fixes that as there are always going to runs of momentum for the other team.

It's a group that desperately needs a star, game-changing mid.

Great selection ! …… better chance of making it than Dowling

Hasn’t played a lot of footy …. but has the high level discipline and work effort, that rowing brings

If work rate is what you are basing your thoughts on, Dowling’s work rate seems to be unquestionable

Maybe we shouldn’t compare the two players, just maybe given that both players thrive in work rate they both give themself a chance of having strong careers

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I mean, pressure hasn't been a genuine concern for Adelaide for a while, with Laird and Keays both being serious defensive players in their own right. The killer is it isn't a group that can roll with the punches with the top-tier midfielders when that aspect is off, and I doubt Bond fixes that as there are always going to runs of momentum for the other team.

It's a group that desperately needs a star, game-changing mid.
I can still remember the days when we were the worst tackling team in the comp. I know we've improved a lot but I'd love some more referred pressure that's created by a high tackling, high chasing, high harassing team. Another Berry would really help. Prolly can't have too many more than that( well unless they can still rack up possies and use them wisely or do special roles as well).

I can still remember the days when we were the worst tackling team in the comp. I know we've improved a lot but I'd love some more referred pressure that's created by a high tackling, high chasing, high harassing team. Another Berry would really help. Prolly can't have too many more than that( well unless they can still rack up possies and use them wisely or do special roles as well).
Nothing wrong with having some prolific tacklers on the list !

Nothing wrong with having some prolific tacklers on the list !
This side of our game has improved recently.

Now we just need to improve the skill level & reduce turnovers.

This side of our game has improved recently.

Now we just need to improve the skill level & reduce turnovers.
The way I see it, the midfield rotation mix needs to end up looking something like this: two classy mids, two hard nuts, plus Rankine (mid/fwd). Ideally two of them 185cm+

In time (say by 2026-ish, when Laird and Keays hopefully have migrated to the backline and forward line respectively), we could see Bond and Berry as the two tough ball-winning, hard-tackling types (can’t get better than two of the most aggressive mids to come through the juniors in recent years), accommodated by Soligo, Rankine and either our first rounder next year or a guy we trade in. Or Dowling could be in that mix instead of Bond - who knows

Either way, Dowling and/or Bond have the capability to fill a potential need, if they end up making it (the height is a big help)

Didnt realize he is from Horsham.

Almost about the same distance from Adelaide ~420km as it is from Melbourne. ~320kms
I was born in Horsham, lots of rellies there, all of them, if they have to go to the city for something will come to Adelaide before Melbourne every time.

Have done the Melb > Adel drive atleast 50 times and there is nothing surer than Horsham being the ultimate half way point - I wouldn't have thought it was 100km difference as it really does feel smack bang in middle - maybe city traffic at Melbourne's western fringe equalises it to the same time even though shorter km wise

I was born in Horsham, lots of rellies there, all of them, if they have to go to the city for something will come to Adelaide before Melbourne every time.
Presume from your perspective a lot easier and quicker to navigate around Adelaide then Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a too high portion of our tackles don't actually impede the opponent from releasing the ball to a teammate in a better position.

What’s going on with Bond?

I know he’s only recently back from injury, but his recent stats are terrible.

I watched the first quarter of the SANFL game on the weekend and I thought he looked pretty good and had 5 or 6 possessions…didn’t watch the rest and he somehow finished with only 7! Less than our top-ups.

Is this a fitness issue or something else?

What’s going on with Bond?

I know he’s only recently back from injury, but his recent stats are terrible.

I watched the first quarter of the SANFL game on the weekend and I thought he looked pretty good and had 5 or 6 possessions…didn’t watch the rest and he somehow finished with only 7! Less than our top-ups.

Is this a fitness issue or something else?
Honestly I think he's not being played in his natural position. I saw some promising signs in preseason but haven't seen anything like that.

Honestly I think he's not being played in his natural position. I saw some promising signs in preseason but haven't seen anything like that.
As in you think he is more midfielder than defender?

From what I could tell, he seems to be be playing HBF but isn’t really a running HBF or skillful set-up play type HBF.

Having another absolute shocker.

1 possession at half time in a final?

Surely we seriously consider dropping this guy back to the rookie list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back