Society/Culture Hypocrisy of The Left - part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I guess before social media all one could do is yell at the tv or scoff at the newspaper; then you'd have to get back to actually achieving whatever it was that your were doing with your life. You had your little vent, but for real satisfaction you had to enter the arena and earn satisfaction by doing something. Yelling at the tv felt good for a minute but was futile.

With social media, instead of telling at the tv and having nobody hear you, you yell at the Twitterverse. And if you are skilled at doing this, skilled at soliciting and fostering a bit of outrage, it is no longer the impotent activity it once was; you can actually achieve something (like having someone sacked). All of a sudden those of us in the peanut gallery can matter, more than we ever did before.

Collective action for change had existed before, but it was based on a groundswell of lobbying and logic. Now it happens at the speed of emotion, and (out)rage is a very fast emotion.

Collective action for change had existed before, but it was based on a groundswell of lobbying and logic. Now it happens at the speed of emotion, and (out)rage is a very fast emotion.
"Happens at the speed of emotion". I like that. I like it a lot. Well said.

I think there is a group of middling men who will adapt themselves to whatever they believe most likely to allow them to have sex during their early adult years.

I think you would be spot on.

I think there is a group of middling men who will adapt themselves to whatever they believe most likely to allow them to have sex during their early adult years.

I don't understand the world anymore - what does "masculine" even mean - once again one of those amorphous terms you love so much. I assume you would not be one of those "middling men" but one of those supermacho types who is unwilling to adopt the girly man traits just for the sake of rooting females. I pity those poor wimpy middling men shagging all the chicks - they debase mankind - I would much rather be a super macho masculine virgin than one of the emasculated blokes that actually has sex

I don't understand the world anymore - what does "masculine" even mean - once again one of those amorphous terms you love so much. I assume you would not be one of those "middling men" but one of those supermacho types who is unwilling to adopt the girly man traits just for the sake of rooting females. I pity those poor wimpy middling men shagging all the chicks - they debase mankind - I would much rather be a super macho masculine virgin than one of the emasculated blokes that actually has sex

I'm an alpha. Without a doubt. Raging supermacho.

Ha.

Last edited:
Speaking of alpha, I recently shaved my head.

I'm served first at the charcoal chook joint, regardless of the line, and the girls giggle fiendishly when I enter the gym.

I now resemble the line from Swingers..."Be like the guy in the rated R movie, you know, the guy you're not sure whether or not you like yet. You're not sure where he's coming from." :cool:

Ahhhh there's a lot of hidden truth in this post.

I'm viewing the PC debates a little differently to most.

If you (collective, not directed at you, yebiga) really thought 'PC stuff' was bullcrap you would just keep referring to women as shielas and telling them to whip up a sandwich while you put your feet up and read the newspaper. But if your protest is only verbal and not behavioural - you're accepting defeat.

When people say "oh next thing you know we'll have to call them womanagers if they're female" I interpret as saying "I don't want to change, but know that I have to".

When people whine about "political correctness gone mad" I think they're actually raising alarm that the power balance has shifted away from them. It's a late grab to make sure it doesn't get too far away, but also a concession that they'll be changing their behaviour, even if it is just ever so slightly.

It happens at a societal and individual level.

My last director referred to a group of senior women standing behind him as "a great set of girls who have achieved some pretty great things".

A lot of protest was registered that he didn't refer to them as women. He complained, he moaned, he said it shouldn't matter, he said that if they were males he would have referred to them as boys.

Next forum he introduced to women and said: "here we have two women who have led the launch of a great new project, you'll hear more about that in a minute".

This is a simple, yet perfect example of how common decency is influenced by what people call PC.

I was watching Offsiders a few weeks ago and commented on how impressive a particular guest was. She was a former player for the Matildas and I referred to her as "that girl". My wife commented, "She's not really a girl is she? More like a woman". I did exactly the same, saying I would refer to the men on the panel as boys, then realized that I wouldn't.

I now make a point of referring to women as women rather than girls. Not a difficult change to make.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mel Brooks is

Esteemed comedy director Mel Brooks has spoken about how "stupidly politically correct" sensibilities will eventually lead to the "death of comedy”.​

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ess-blazing-saddles-gene-wilder-a7964216.html

Yet people like the makers of Peep Show and Curb Your Enthusiasm and others are turning out better comedy and far more offensive stuff than Mel Brooks dreamed of. I happen to be a fan of Mel Brooks films, but this sort of rubbish keeps getting said as years go by, yet comedians continue to push the boundaries.

I think Steven Pinker's commentary on the current state of the political discourse in the media and on campuses is particularly interesting. His thesis might explain that attempts to quash statements of fact have led people to embrace radical interpretations of those facts, leading to political extremism - political correctness, in other words, fuelled the fire of the alt-right.

I am really looking forward to his new book coming out next month. Already have it on order - Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress. I really enjoy his writings.

Here is what he said in one particular panel discussion.

I am not totally across Pinker's work, but I have watched the panel discussion where he said this. He came across as pretty balanced and made some very good points compared to other hysterical anti PC warriors... like the guys from Spiked.

we now have a movie category on netfix called "strong female lead character".

no need for categories anymore like romance drama comedy horror action. What is now important to know regarding a film is whether it has a female or male lead.

soon you will be going to the movies to pick a film and ask the person at the cinema counter " what is x film about?" " well it is classified as strong female lead film".

wont we all be much more informed and better off with this sort of stuff.

I just did a quick search of Netflix categories.

There are about 3500 if you go online.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/library/categories/

How outraged are you going to be by the time you have read all of those ?

I am not totally across Pinker's work, but I have watched the panel discussion where he said this. He came across as pretty balanced and made some very good points compared to other hysterical anti PC warriors... like the guys from Spiked.
I recently read "How the mind works", will definitely search our more a Pinker's works. Seems to be a very well researched and balanced writer.

Yet people like the makers of Peep Show and Curb Your Enthusiasm and others are turning out better comedy and far more offensive stuff than Mel Brooks dreamed of. I happen to be a fan of Mel Brooks films, but this sort of rubbish keeps getting said as years go by, yet comedians continue to push the boundaries.
This isn't true though

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/oct/29/curb-your-enthusiasm-america-appeal
https://qz.com/1120692/larry-david-snl-monologue-when-will-men-stop-joking-about-sexual-assault/

A line has been crossed in the past couple of years where nothing offensive is permissible in comedy.

Not permissible ? In both of the articles, it refers to Larry David making comedy that upset some people. Larry David keeps on making that comedy and has not stopped. Therefore, it is permissible.

Not permissible ? In both of the articles, it refers to Larry David making comedy that upset some people. Larry David keeps on making that comedy and has not stopped. Therefore, it is permissible.
That's a syllogistic argument that doesn't stand up to any inspection. Larry David makes comedy because he's Larry David - he has personal cachet. I think you'll find his ratings declined heavily in the most recent season. Would a new entrant to comedy be permitted to make the same style of comedy? That's what matters.

That's a syllogistic argument that doesn't stand up to any inspection. Larry David makes comedy because he's Larry David - he has personal cachet. I think you'll find his ratings declined heavily in the most recent season. Would a new entrant to comedy be permitted to make the same style of comedy? That's what matters.

I referred to Larry David's cachet because that is who was mentioned in the 2 articles. There are plenty of people pushing the boundaries in comedy.

As for ratings. When a show continues for multiple series, it can become boring to people. My wife is a big fan of Curb. She didn't like the latest series much. Read through the Curb thread on BF. A lot of people did not like the last series. I stopped watching The Simpsons about 10 years ago because it wasn't as good as it had been. We are in the golden age of television. There are so many brilliant things to watch, if somebody opts out of series 9 of a show. It does not follow that they have all stopped watching because after laughing for 8 seasons, they have all become PC.

I referred to Larry David's cachet because that is who was mentioned in the 2 articles.
The point is that Larry David can make shows because he is Larry David, not because his comedy is permissible. If his comedy wasn't permissible now we'd have to be living in a authoritarian hellhole.
There are plenty of people pushing the boundaries in comedy.
Yes, people like Hannah Gadsby, who are boring and accord with the present political view.

Your Peep Show argument was a bit ridiculous because there could not be a more politically correct comedian than Robert Webb, who has disavowed a lot of his past comedy.

This is a very important video. 30 minutes long, but you gotta watch it all. It really picks up about half-way thru. It's pretty heavy. Sure, it's about Star Wars, regarding TLJ as SJ propaganda, including tweets from official LFL/Disney people that support the premise that there's a concerted SJ propaganda effort in this movies. But the guy doing the video really nails a bunch of pretty wise aspects that the people on the far left and far right are completely missing.

Films have always reflected society and the societal battles being waged at the time. Star Wars has always been a battle between good and bad in general and the battle of one's consciousness to be good or bad oneself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back