Prediction Hypothetical trades, other clubs moves, draft smokies, salary guesswork and whatever else thread

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 first + 2019 first for shiel and gws 2018 second rounder Would do that in a heartbeat, the next 3 years he will be in his prime and still go into a strong draft with two 2nd round picks
It's been written in here & elsewhere that Cegs to GWS may also be a consideration.

If that is the case then 2019 1st + Cegs for Shiel. If we give up 2018 1st then that's all they get (no point swapping 3rds & 4ths as GWS never use anything lower than a 2nd...).

I would love to know why people are just so keen on Coniglio over Shiel, and also why they think he is a better fit? He is a star and one of my favourite players, would love him at Hawthorn, but i can't understand why people are so obsessed with him. Is it just because we have had his name thrown around for a long time and he is friends with Jaeger? If we wants to come great, but the constant "no thanks i would rather Coniglio" is crazy to me.

Shiel is an elite runner, with good foot skills, break away peace and can play inside and out. We have the midfield who can already win the ball and i think Shiel would excel in our current midfield and would love to have him delivering the ball inside 50 for us.

Runs more defensively, tackles more, kicks more goals and drifts out of games less.

Runs more defensively, tackles more, kicks more goals and drifts out of games less.
We have a very good 2 way running midfield already, i think Shiel would fill more needs to our team. The class and speed of Shiel is something that we lack. Both great players but i think Shiel fits a greater need.

They both average the same amount of goals, Coniglio averages 1 extra tackle a game.

We have a very good 2 way running midfield already, i think Shiel would fill more needs to our team. The class and speed of Shiel is something that we lack. Both great players but i think Shiel fits a greater need.

They both average the same amount of goals, Coniglio averages 1 extra tackle a game.

Yeah Shiel is class I was just listing reasons as to why I'd prefer Coniglio if it was a choice. Realistically I'd be happy with either one of them though as they are both A grade.

I've always thought of Shiel as a stoppage beast, so what is he like around the ground?

Win his own ball?
Strong mark?
Link-up player?
Score involvements/assists?
Is he happy to get down to HB & get involved in chains of possession that will settle the team whilst moving the ball forward?

I've no doubt Cogs will do all that stuff, but I've really no idea if Shiel will.

Shiel has kicked 5 goals and coniglio has kicked 18 this year. Dunno where you’re getting your stats from haha

I would suggest that recent history is much more important. Dan Hanneberys cv shits on these two but there’s no way in hell I would choose him over them
true but we are not talking about a 28 year old with a cooked body, or a 30 year old past his best. Both these players are mid 20's and i think they should be judged on more than just 19 games of data.

Coniglio has kicked 18 goals to Shiel 5 this year. He is averaging 28 touches to 25, and 4.9 tackles to 3.5 He is also a year younger.

Coniglio is having an outrageous season.

I'd be stoked with either. But I just kind of get this feeling we have already seen Shiel at his best. I think Coniglio is every chance to be a top 10 player in the competition over the next few seasons and he is really only getting going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

true but we are not talking about a 28 year old with a cooked body, or a 30 year old past his best. Both these players are mid 20's and i think they should be judged on more than just 19 games of data.
Hanners is only 2 years older than Shiel. In the end I would love either of them, but I just think Shiel is perceived to be a better player than he actually is. He’s a tease, don’t think his kicking is amazing, has speed but doesn’t use it enough, doesn’t really have the capability to go forward. Isn’t really a tackling or clearance machine. Just a pretty good player. Coniglios ahead in most stats over the last couple of years and if he didn’t destroy his ankle last year the gap might be even bigger

I would suggest that recent history is much more important. Dan Hanneberys cv shits on these two but there’s no way in hell I would choose him over them
Hannebery is in decline whereas Shiel and Cogs are entering their prime so pointless argument. For me Shiel is much more explosive and a far better ball user than Cogs and compliments our current midfield (especially when Silk moves on) better. He is also cheaper to get salary/contract wise, more expendable at GWS therefore more gettable than Cogs. Would take Cogs in a heartbeat but I think we are more likely to shake Shiel out of the GWS midfield excess tree.

Hanners is only 2 years older than Shiel. In the end I would love either of them, but I just think Shiel is perceived to be a better player than he actually is. He’s a tease, don’t think his kicking is amazing, has speed but doesn’t use it enough, doesn’t really have the capability to go forward. Isn’t really a tackling or clearance machine. Just a pretty good player. Coniglios ahead in most stats over the last couple of years and if he didn’t destroy his ankle last year the gap might be even bigger
Yea and that is totally fine, just for the record i am not even saying i would prefer Shiel over Coniglio. Just wish we could discuss Shiel if/when linked to us without saying 'would prefer Coniglio' every time because both are stars and both would make us a better team.

Hannebery is in decline whereas Shiel and Cogs are entering their prime so pointless argument. For me Shiel is much more explosive and a far better ball user than Cogs and compliments our current midfield (especially when Silk moves on) better. He is also cheaper to get salary/contract wise, more expendable at GWS therefore more gettable than Cogs. Would take Cogs in a heartbeat but I think we are more likely to shake Shiel out of the GWS midfield excess tree.
I’m with you on we are more likely to get Shiel. Cogs will stay there. I’ve got it on decent authority that Shiel will be in Melbourne next year or the year after. He’d still cost us around the 800k mark, and probably a 1st and 2nd rounder

I’m with you on we are more likely to get Shiel. Cogs will stay there. I’ve got it on decent authority that Shiel will be in Melbourne next year or the year after. He’d still cost us around the 800k mark, and probably a 1st and 2nd rounder
2019 1st + Cegs for Shiel + 2018 4th.

Do it...
Do it!

Coniglio has kicked 18 goals to Shiel 5 this year. He is averaging 28 touches to 25, and 4.9 tackles to 3.5 He is also a year younger.

Coniglio is having an outrageous season.

I'd be stoked with either. But I just kind of get this feeling we have already seen Shiel at his best. I think Coniglio is every chance to be a top 10 player in the competition over the next few seasons and he is really only getting going.

Coniglio seems a little more grounded personality wise and hasn't got dodgy shoulders like Shiel.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Coniglio seems a little more grounded personality wise and hasn't got dodgy shoulders like Shiel.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
It’s not really a who is the better player argument but who we are more likely to get and which player best suits our midfield moving forward. I think we have enough grunt but lack the more explosive type like Shiel who can break into space and run and carry. GWS have to decide whether they trade for Shiel this year when his currency is at its peak knowing they will more than likely lose him next year for far less (RFA). Just can’t see Cogs leaving unfortunately! Yes Shiel has dodgy shoulders but he is a Victorian and much more likely to leave GWS.

What’s all this trade Cegs crap? Cegs is great, he’s going nowhere.
Meanwhile, over on the GWS board...

"What's all this 'trade Shiel' crap. Shiel is great, he's going nowhere"...

You want Shiel though, right?

Ian Hill... apparently invited to train with us
You little ripper!!!! We could get him as a late 2nd or third rounder so we can afford to give up our first this year for Dylan!! So, we end up getting Dylan + Hill jr instead of speculative first rd and second rd players.
Btw, who’s to say that clarko wouldn’t improve Dylan’s game style at the Hawks?? We already have Tommy, Worps and Howe as bigger bodied inside ball winners, just need Dylan and jags to go ape s**t a step outside of the contest!! But again, I must say, the * have rolled up their sleeves for him so we need to make sure Dylan picks us if he decides to leave!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back