I believe in Billie Smedts

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think Billie will be shopped around during trade period, his body has run him out of chances.....

Not as badly as others on our list. Plus he's still got a year to go.
People want speed out of D50.

He's got that. IMO not his best position ( small/med forward up to the wing) but like Cowan and Menzel he needs a clean run at it.
So far, he's not had that. Really want to see the smarter and more serious Billie get a clean run at it.

Go Catters

He's got that. IMO not his best position ( small/med forward up to the wing) but like Cowan and Menzel he needs a clean run at it.
So far, he's not had that. Really want to see the smarter and more serious Billie get a clean run at it.

Pretty much. I will say though, although it's not my preference for him to play off half back (I'd much prefer wing/half forward), at least he has shown some aptitude for it, certainly at VFL level. It was one of the final VFL games this year where he played HBF, and he basically just rebounded at speed all day. Looked a mile above the level too which was even better.

Pretty much. I will say though, although it's not my preference for him to play off half back (I'd much prefer wing/half forward), at least he has shown some aptitude for it, certainly at VFL level. It was one of the final VFL games this year where he played HBF, and he basically just rebounded at speed all day. Looked a mile above the level too which was even better.
Agreed - combine that with a better head space and maturity, the desire to play consistently having missed so much footy, the realisation that his chances are slipping and the Scarlo factor with some one on one work....

Id like to see that outcome after 20 games in 2017.

GO Catters

Agreed - combine that with a better head space and maturity, the desire to play consistently having missed so much footy, the realisation that his chances are slipping and the Scarlo factor with some one on one work....

Id like to see that outcome after 20 games in 2017.

It would be a nice start if he wasn't dropped after one game as happened this year. Where he was far from our worst.

It would be a nice start if he wasn't dropped after one game as happened this year. Where he was far from our worst.
Between GHS and Smedts two of the most head scratching MC decisions of the year. In and out in a week when while they played not great, they were far from the slowest antelope in the hooped heard that week.

GO Catters

In one interview Scott was asked why he played Smedts down back. His answer was he was playing well enough in the reserves to warrant selection, but it was the only position/role available. That tells me Scott does not value him much.

Between GHS and Smedts two of the most head scratching MC decisions of the year. In and out in a week when while they played not great, they were far from the slowest antelope in the hooped heard that week.

GO Catters

In itself it wouldn't be that egregious, but when you compare it to the amazing latitude that Murdoch, Blicavs, and Kersten got it's striking.

I agree. Give him 3 or 4 weeks minimum. Others have been afforded that opportunity with no form to justify it. He has zero trade value, so if we're keeping him on our list it makes no sense whatsoever not to pump games into him given he certainly won't be there the following year if they play him in the VFL all year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In itself it wouldn't be that egregious, but when you compare it to the amazing latitude that Murdoch, Blicavs, and Kersten got it's striking.
Murdoch was dropped when his form became truly atrocious, didn't get back in.
Kersten started alright but then faded. When he did was dropped.

So much latitude there. Dropped when it was warranted :openmouth:
Blicavs had been improving season on season. Had his first real year of stagnation.

Think Billie will be shopped around during trade period, his body has run him out of chances.....

Don't see the point. No one would give anything of value for him. You might get a very low pick for him, at which point, you might as well keep him as he has more of a chance of contributing than yet another speculative project player taken extremely late in the draft. Smedts is mature and if he can get his body right, there's at least a chance he can contribute.

Next year is without doubt his last chance, though.

Go Catters
Yep I agree he's best spot is prob up forward maybe on a wing.
Gregson,cocky Lang,caddy.mots? Linc all in front of him on paper.unless he can get fit n strong and push his case to get some games.

Maybe offer him rookie spot to allow his body to get right without any pressure....

Except that he's already under contract for next year. And he was fit at the end of the season.
I thought, and happy to be corrected, they shut him down at seasons end as the shoulder was still not 100% right. I know he came back towards the end but didnt finish it out thru continued shoulder issues.

GO Catters

I thought, and happy to be corrected, they shut him down at seasons end as the shoulder was still not 100% right. I know he came back towards the end but didnt finish it out thru continued shoulder issues.

My recollection is he was rested from the final VFL game due to hamstring tightness. Purely precautionary. He was probably BOG the week before.

Happy to be corrected if that's in error though.

My recollection is he was rested from the final VFL game due to hamstring tightness. Purely precautionary. He was probably BOG the week before.

Happy to be corrected if that's in error though.

you know.. I think you are correct. :thumbsu:

GO Catters

I believe in Billie Smedts... to help get us Zach Tuohy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back