Ian Chappell's Top 25 Ashes Performers

Remove this Banner Ad

In the 80s they were both crap. Windies were rampant.
Border played against them for 6 series before the rebel tours claimed anyone.

Willis, Botham, Underwood, Lever etc

Waugh deserves a spot in this list, but aside from Gough and Fraser (caddick to an extent) he was rarely up against anyone of real substance against them

Border played against them for 6 series before the rebel tours claimed anyone.

Willis, Botham, Underwood, Lever etc

Waugh deserves a spot in this list, but aside from Gough and Fraser (caddick to an extent) he was rarely up against anyone of real substance against them
Tufnell

Cricket players seems to hold grudges like no other sport I know, Ian Chappell being one of the best examples. Warney another obvious one. Great thinkers of the game and really astute observations when commentating (even if Chappeli will put you to sleep), but as soon it comes to analysis of an individual it all goes awry.

It's a great sport for pent up passive aggression

Nothing surprising from Chappelli with that article. Joke that Tugger doesn't make the cut, Beefy stiff too

chappeli has a thing for doug walters never shuts about him

Walters was interesting. Hard to say it conclusively but looking at his record it hints that he wasn’t great against high class pace bowling. He had a great record against the Windies but he never played them after the Grovel series in England when they really started to become a force, he struggled a little overall against England who usually had a decent enough pace attack during his career, like everyone he struggled in the 4-0 loss to SA. Great career overall though.

I don't know how guys like Slater or Stokes could get picked ahead of Ian Bell who dominated two Ashes series with the bat.

I don't know how guys like Slater or Stokes could get picked ahead of Ian Bell who dominated two Ashes series with the bat.
Slater dominated 2 Ashes series with the bat. Did some good things in 2001 too.

Ian Bell is too selfish from Chappelli's view I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

chappeli has a thing for doug walters never shuts about him
Dougie was the quintesennal (that's not spelt right is it?) Aussie.

Never trained, smoked, drank, gambled.

However he was an outstanding fielder, gun batsman and regular wicket taker with his funny wobbly run up (was known as the partnership breaker).

Probably one of the most loved cricketers ever, Merv Hughes like.

Legend......

He averaged 37 bowling left arm orthodox under a couple of captains who basically hated him. I’d say he did a serviceable job.

And for what it’s worth Higgs was fine.
That's an acceptable batting average.
Sorry, bowler wasn't he.....

Shite.

Lyon averages 33 and he’s apparently a world beater. No one is claiming he’s an all time great. No one is claiming he should be in this stupid list. It was said he was capable. Nothing more. No need to get menstrual about it.
I reckon you look like Tuffers......

Dougie was the quintesennal (that's not spelt right is it?) Aussie.

Never trained, smoked, drank, gambled.

However he was an outstanding fielder, gun batsman and regular wicket taker with his funny wobbly run up (was known as the partnership breaker).

Probably one of the most loved cricketers ever, Merv Hughes like.

Legend......
before my time but chappeli talks him up like how indians go on and on about sachin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back