ICC Team of the decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of a nitpick but can someone explain to me why the team of the decade is from 2011-2020? When the decade was 2010-2019?
There was no year 0. 1-10, 11-20 etc.

2010-2019 would be the standard grouping, as we saw through the lists and awards of Wisden and several other organisations and publications.

The ICC didn't plan ahead of time to do a "best of the last 10 years" thing, they decided to do it at the last minute instead of a "best of 2020" thing which would have been even less interesting.

---

Regarding Mitchell Starc's Test performance in the past 10 years, isn't it interesting how he averages 29 without Pat Cummins in the team and 24 with him.

I wonder what Cummins' average would be if he played most of his matches with Mitchell Johnson rather than Starc. My guess is it would be the same, if not slightly better.

Apparently conscripting an impressionable young player into rubbing the cricket ball with sandpaper, and then lying about it and saying it was 'tape', and then not apologising or admitting responsibility, as the Vice Captain of the Australian Test team, is not a concern to the ICC.
Well, the ICC didn't penalise Warner at all, so it would be odd for them to leave him out.

It’s been a decade of very weak opening batsman. Past Warner and Cook, it’s pretty thread bare. Statistically, next on the list is Tom Latham.

Bit of a nitpick but can someone explain to me why the team of the decade is from 2011-2020? When the decade was 2010-2019?
Technically the ICC is correct as there was no year 0 so decades, centuries and millennia are 1 to 0.

But accepted usage has really changed to 0 to 9 with the first decade being a year short.

Weirdly the reporting period didn't include the last three months of the year? Probably wouldn't change the team but seems odd to me.

How does this team compare to the previous decade?
Using what's available to us:

Graeme Smith
Matthew Hayden
Kumar Sangakkara
Jacques Kallis
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist (+)
Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralidaran
Makhaya Ntini
Glenn McGrath

Even the second XI would be better:

Michael Strauss
Virender Sehwag
Rahul Dravid
Brian Lara
Mohammed Yousuf
Mahela Jayawardena
AB de Villiers (+)
Chaminda Vaas
Anil Kumble
Brett Lee
Dale Steyn

Using what's available to us:

Graeme Smith
Matthew Hayden
Kumar Sangakkara
Jacques Kallis
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist (+)
Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralidaran
Makhaya Ntini
Glenn McGrath

Even the second XI would be better:

Michael Strauss
Virender Sehwag
Rahul Dravid
Brian Lara
Mohammed Yousuf
Mahela Jayawardena
AB de Villiers (+)
Chaminda Vaas
Anil Kumble
Brett Lee
Dale Steyn
Michael Strauss :eyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does this team compare to the previous decade?
Most recent decades middle order stands up well.

But previous decade bowling would be (IMO) McGrath, Steyn, Warne, Murali with Kallis as the fifth bowler. Thats a good bit stronger for mine.

The previous decades four front liners probably even stronger - Warne plus three of Ambrose, Wasim Akram, McGrath, Waqar Younis or Allan Donald (maybe some other nominees too). Can't recall now but don't think Kallis had made enough of an impact by the close of the decade to make that team and can't think of any other potential all round options.

Most recent decades middle order stands up well.

But previous decade bowling would be (IMO) McGrath, Steyn, Warne, Murali with Kallis as the fifth bowler. Thats a good bit stronger for mine.

The previous decades four front liners probably even stronger - Warne plus three of Ambrose, Wasim Akram, McGrath, Waqar Younis or Allan Donald (maybe some other nominees too). Can't recall now but don't think Kallis had made enough of an impact by the close of the decade to make that team and can't think of any other potential all round options.

From memory Steve Waugh took 49 wickets @ 29 in 90's - there's the fifth bowling option there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back