ICC Team of the decade

Remove this Banner Ad

That's like taking out 1981 of assessment of Botham or 1999 WC from Kluesner.

It's not taking out anything, it's looking at bodies of work.

Players have dominant matches, series, tournaments, seasons, years... Shane Watson stayed in the test team for 5 years off the back scoring a few 50s in a row.

Steve Smith scored 1,000+ @ 72+ for 4 years in a row in tests. Marnus scored 1,100 @ 65 for a year batting alongside Smith. Tim Paine scored 73* in the lat test. It doesn't put them all on the same level.

A team of the decade takes in performances across that decade. Brad Hogg took 13 wickets @ 25 in the 2003 World Cup and 21 wickets @ 16 in 2007. He was excellent, but I doubt anyone is picking him over Murali and his 500 ODI wickets for their team of that decade.

Ben Stokes is great, but we're talking about a guy that averages 38 with the bat and 36 with the ball from 14 Ashes tests. His innings in Leeds phenomenal, but like Flintoff he had his purple patch and outside that was on par with plenty of other guys over a bigger sample size. He's not a Smith who averages 50 or 60 for fun and then starts scoring 200s because no one else can bat. And I don't blame him for it. The unicorn that is your best batsman and your best bowler and can score quickly and can come on and take quick wickets over an extended period doesn't exist. An all rounder at 5/6 should be contributing with bat and ball and playing the odd match winning innings, not carrying the team.

To look at it another way, if you reversed the years 2011-2020 people would probably be stacking their ODI teams with Tillakaratne Dilshan and Yuvraj Singh.

Obviously from a Strikers point of view I am bias but Rashid is freak and seems to be getting better.

I know this is an International team but in terms of Rashid at BBL level outside of Shane Warne I don't think I have ever seen a bowler who you feel could take a wicket on every ball and so often delivers.

Maxwell and even Finich a bit lucky to make this team I think. I know results say otherwise but I just don't feel Australia have ever got international T20 cricket right.

Obviously from a Strikers point of view I am bias but Rashid is freak and seems to be getting better.

I know this is an International team but in terms of Rashid at BBL level outside of Shane Warne I don't think I have ever seen a bowler who you feel could take a wicket on every ball and so often delivers.

Maxwell and even Finich a bit lucky to make this team I think. I know results say otherwise but I just don't feel Australia have ever got international T20 cricket right.
Would have thought Maxwell averaging 33 at a strike rate of 158 at T20I level was one of the first picked for a middle order role.

The ICC have named their official teams of the decade in all formats. Interesting that none of the aussie attack made the test side and only Starc made the ODI attack whilst Davey was the only men’s player to make two teams.

ICC Men's Test Team of the Decade

Alastair Cook (ENG), David Warner (AUS), Kane Williamson (NZ), Virat Kohli (c) (IND), Steve Smith (AUS), Kumar Sangakkara (wk) (SL), Ben Stokes (ENG), Ravichandran Ashwin (IND), Dale Steyn (SA), Stuart Broad (ENG), Jimmy Anderson (ENG)

ICC Women's ODI Team of the Decade

Alyssa Healy (AUS), Suzie Bates (NZ), Mithali Raj (IND), Meg Lanning (c) (AUS), Stafanie Taylor, Sarah Taylor (wk) (ENG), Ellyse Perry (AUS), Dane van Niekerk (SA), Marizanne Kapp (SA), Jhulan Goswami (IND), Anisa Mohammed (WI)

ICC Men's ODI Team of the Decade

Rohit Sharma (IND), David Warner (AUS), Virat Kohli (IND), AB de Villiers (SA), Shakib Al Hasan (BAN), MS Dhoni (c & wk) (IND), Ben Stokes (ENG), Mitchell Starc (AUS), Trent Boult (NZ), Imran Tahir (SA), Lasith Malinga (SL)

ICC Women's T20I Team of the Decade

Alyssa Healy (wk) (AUS), Sophie Devine (NZ), Suzie Bates (NZ), Meg Lanning (c) (AUS), Harmanpreet Kaur (IND), Stafanie Taylor (WI), Deandra Dottin (WI), Ellyse Perry (AUS), Anya Shrubsole (ENG), Megan Schutt (AUS), Poonam Yadav (IND)

ICC Men's T20I Team of the Decade

Rohit Sharma (IND), Chris Gayle (WI), Aaron Finch (AUS), Virat Kohli (IND), AB de Villiers (SA), Glenn Maxwell (AUS), MS Dhoni (c & wk) (IND), Kieron Pollard (WI), Rashid Khan (AFG), Jasprit Bumrah (IND), Lasith Malinga (SL)

First game of cricket I took my kids to see was two years ago today, and it had three of the T20I team of the decade in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warne opts for kallis over Stokes, even though JK has only played 22 tests from 2011-2020.... with Sangakarra opening.

WTF?

FTR Stokes isn't a lock IMO, but he's in front of Kallis for 2011-2020. As is Shakib. The question is whether you need an all rounder, or happy enough with the four front liners plus Smith, Williamson, Warner to provide support.

Last edited:
My Australian XI teams of the decade (Jan 2011 - Dec 2020):

Test:
1. Warner
2. Rogers
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Clarke (c)
6. Watson
7. Paine (wk)
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

ODI:
1. Warner
2. Finch
3. Smith
4. Clarke (c)
5. Watson
6. Maxwell
7. Haddin (wk)
8. Johnson
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Hazlewood

T20I:
1. Warner
2. Finch (c)
3. Smith
4. Watson
5. Maxwell
6. Wade (wk)
7. Faulkner
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Tye
11. Zampa

My English XI teams of the decade (Jan 2011 - Dec 2020):

Test:
1. Cook (c)
2. Root
3. Trott
4. Pietersen
5. Bell
6. Stokes
7. Bairstow (wk)
8. Woakes
9. Swann
10. Broad
11. Anderson

ODI:
1. Roy
2. Bairstow
3. Root
4. Bell
5. Morgan (c)
6. Buttler (wk)
7. Stokes
8. Woakes
9. Rashid
10. Plunkett
11. Finn

T20:
1. Roy
2. Bairstow
3. Hales
4. Morgan (c)
5. Buttler (wk)
6. Stokes
7. Ali
8. Willey
9. Jordan
10. Rashid
11. Dernbach

Test:
1. Warner
2. Rogers
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Clarke (c)
6. Watson
7. Paine (wk)
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

ODI:
1. Warner
2. Finch
3. Smith
4. Clarke (c)
5. Watson
6. Maxwell
7. Haddin (wk)
8. Johnson
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Hazlewood

T20I:
1. Warner
2. Finch (c)
3. Smith
4. Watson
5. Maxwell
6. Wade (wk)
7. Faulkner
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Tye
11. Zampa
Watson has to open in ODI's. Drop Warner (who's ODI record is average in comparison) and add someone else for me

Test:
1. Warner
2. Rogers
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Clarke (c)
6. Watson
7. Paine (wk)
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

ODI:
1. Warner
2. Finch
3. Smith
4. Clarke (c)
5. Watson
6. Maxwell
7. Haddin (wk)
8. Johnson
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Hazlewood

T20I:
1. Warner
2. Finch (c)
3. Smith
4. Watson
5. Maxwell
6. Wade (wk)
7. Faulkner
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Tye
11. Zampa

Paine the WK in test team of the decade,not sure about that one.Better then Haddin?

Watson has to open in ODI's. Drop Warner (who's ODI record is average in comparison) and add someone else for me
45 @ 93 better than both Finch & Watson. Warner one of first selected - don't let agendas get in way

Test:
1. Warner
2. Rogers
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Clarke (c)
6. Watson
7. Paine (wk)
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

ODI:
1. Warner
2. Finch
3. Smith
4. Clarke (c)
5. Watson
6. Maxwell
7. Haddin (wk)
8. Johnson
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Hazlewood

T20I:
1. Warner
2. Finch (c)
3. Smith
4. Watson
5. Maxwell
6. Wade (wk)
7. Faulkner
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Tye
11. Zampa

Mitchell Johnson unlucky to miss test team

Apparently conscripting an impressionable young player into rubbing the cricket ball with sandpaper, and then lying about it and saying it was 'tape', and then not apologising or admitting responsibility, as the Vice Captain of the Australian Test team, is not a concern to the ICC.

45 @ 93 better than both Finch & Watson. Warner one of first selected - don't let agendas get in way
Watson, Finch and Warner have near identical records against the best teams. If we're counting games against the 7 "big sides" outside of Australia their records are:

Finch: 124 matches, 4844 runs, average of 41, strike rate 87, 16 hundreds, 26 fifties
Warner: 118 matches, 4,805 runs, average of 42, strike rate 93, 16 hundreds, 21 fifties
Watson (as opener): 83 matches, 3257 runs, average of 43, strike rate 90, 6 hundreds, 22 fifties

Watson has to open, either Warner or Finch makes way for him.

Paine the WK in test team of the decade,not sure about that one.Better then Haddin?
Was a tough choice when you compare the stats. Both players records in the 2010's are quite close.

Haddin (35 matches, 1397 runs @26.35, 146 catches, 5 stumpings)
Paine (29 matches, 1130 runs @31.38, 128 catches, 6 stumpings)

To me though, Paine just edges Haddin as what he has taken on in the last 2 years

Mitchell Johnson unlucky to miss test team
Was hard to leave him out and he was frightening for that two year period, however over a long period, the current three quicks (Cummins, Starc, Haze) all have more wickets at a better average and strike rate in the last 10 years.

My English XI teams of the decade (Jan 2011 - Dec 2020):

Test:
1. Cook (c)
2. Root
3. Trott
4. Pietersen
5. Bell
6. Stokes
7. Bairstow (wk)
8. Woakes
9. Swann
10. Broad
11. Anderson

ODI:
1. Roy
2. Bairstow
3. Root
4. Bell
5. Morgan (c)
6. Buttler (wk)
7. Stokes
8. Woakes
9. Rashid
10. Plunkett
11. Finn

T20:
1. Roy
2. Bairstow
3. Hales
4. Morgan (c)
5. Buttler (wk)
6. Stokes
7. Ali
8. Willey
9. Jordan
10. Rashid
11. Dernbach
I remember Matt Prior being a half decent keeper/batsman for England in tests? I don't know, maybe he didn't actually play for that long, Bairstow is probably better anyway. That's a really decent England XI though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back