Analysis If Dustin Martin wins a 4th Norm Smith medal and premiership will he be regarded as the greatest player of all time?

If Dustin Martin wins a 4th Norm Smith medal and premiership will he be regarded as the greatest pla

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He won every award humanely possible in 2017 apart from the Coleman medal and Leigh Mathews said it was probably the greatest season ever by a player .
I'm not sure how you can spin that any other way.

Because awards don’t determine quality.
Winning a best picture Oscar doesn’t make Braveheart a better flick than something that lost out to Return of the King does it

You're getting a bit desperate now.

Yeah, except I’m not, am I.

Saying ‘because this person said so’ is not going to force anyone with an ounce of intelligence to ‘desperation’ over a debate in which 90 per cent of people share that person’s point of view.

Is it, genius.

Answer the question.

Has the gold medalist who ran a slower time than the silver medalist from another race, run faster than the silver medalist.

It shouldn’t be difficult.

That's not what you say when talking about Ablett.
You have an obvious bias against Martin.

I’m not arguing for Ablett so f*** knows what he has to do with it.

I have no bias against Martin aside from the fact that he’s obviously slipped rohypnol into your drink to have you this deluded over him.

The first place every Tigers fan seems to go is ‘blublublublub tears tears tears you’re biased blublublublub.’

It’s like a f***en factory setting or something

That's not an argument.

Matthews 1977: 27 disposals, 5 marks per game, 91 goals for the season.
Martin 2017: 29 disposals, 4 marks per game, 37 goals for the season.
Dangerfield 2017: 29 disposals, 4 marks per game, 45 goals for the season.
I don't need the opinion of nuff nuffs on bigfooty when it's accepted in the footy community that his 2017 was one of the greatest seasons ever put together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that the whole case for Martin is centred around 3 best on ground performances.

You’ve used a laugh emoji in response to Hodge: who most observers would say has been the other standout finals player in the sport over the last 15 years - in addition to actually captaining his side to 3 flags and generally marshalling his team around the field, and actually making a contribution during his retirement parade at Brisbane.

F*** me

Wrong. Winning finals is required to get the ‘opportunity’ to win a Norm Smith. So his case ‘centres’ around the 9 x BOG’s he had in finals from 2017-2020, not just the 3 games. (I won’t bother going over this 200+ Brownlow votes etc….again).

Was Hodge BOG in 9 finals ?

Martin was a superior finals player to Hodge and a superior H&A player, so why would Hodge be in the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wrong. Winning finals is required to get the ‘opportunity’ to win a Norm Smith. So his case ‘centres’ around the 9 x BOG’s he had in finals from 2017-2020, not just the 3 games. (I won’t bother going over this 200+ Brownlow votes etc….again).

Martin was a superior finals player to Hodge and a superior H&A player, so why would Hodge be in the frame.
It's 9 BOG's now, is it?!?

Did they even award best on ground in finals before the pr0n like addiction Tigers fans have to adulation of their players necessitated a retrospective grading 1-44 of every player to contest a final since Martin became a factor?

And again, do you reckon because, say, he had 24 touches and 4 goals in a final, and nominally would have been second best on the ground because a teammate (Luke Breust) had 18 and 6, this means he was inferior to another player in another game who might have done f***-all but was best on ground, that it means Hodge’s performance was inferior?

Did they even award best on ground in finals before the pr0n like addiction Tigers fans have to adulation of their players necessitated a retrospective grading 1-44 of every player to contest a final since Martin became a factor?

And again, do you reckon because, say, he had 24 touches and 4 goals in a final, and nominally would have been second best on the ground because a teammate (Luke Breust) had 18 and 6, this means he was inferior to another player in another game who might have done f***-all but was best on ground, that it means Hodge’s performance was inferior?

Hodge was never the best player in the game, he won't be remembered for that. His influence on a team winning was immense though. Up there with Selwood as the best on-field leader I've seen.

Didn't like him, but respect him.

Hodge was never the best player in the game, he won't be remembered for that. His influence on a team winning was immense though. Up there with Selwood as the best on-field leader I've seen.

Didn't like him, but respect him.

No I agree but if so much weight is going to be put in finals performances then apply the same weight to everyone else that had a huge impact in a team’s finals fortunes.

Paul Chapman had 4 finals games of 20+ and 3+. Martin has had 3.
Steve Johnson had 6 with 20+ and 2+ and a handful of others where he had 15-16 and 4/5 goals.

But it’s medals that make the performance, apparently

Last edited:
No he didn’t play the greatest season of all time in 2017.

He played arguably the most decorated season of all time in 2017.

Thank you for again highlighting how truly incapable of grasping the difference you truly are.

2017 is on the podium. 11 x BOG’s in H&A. BOG in 3 of 3 finals. Record number of Brownlow votes. AFLCA with record number of votes. AFLPA award. Won every media award. Only player ever to win Flag, Brownlow and NS in a single season (admittedly only possible since inception of NS). Led Richmond to a flag after finishing 13th prior year (biggest ever jump to a flag). Averaged just under 30 possessions and kicked just under 40-goals.

Of course others have had unbelievable seasons … Pratt, Hudson, Lethal, Carey, Ablett etc…

But for impact, awards and ultimate results, not sure you could argue his 2017 season isn’t in the conversation for best ever given he was awarded BOG 14 times.

Richmond supporters say the darndest things.

Leigh Matthews 1977 might have something to say about this:

Hell even Dangerfield's 2017 was arguably as good as Dusty's:

Even if you argued Danger’s H&A season in 2017 was comparable to Martin’s (which is fair) …. Martin’s 3 x final BOG’s, Norm Smith and flag leave Danger (13 turnovers in a diabolical QF) in the dust. To argue otherwise is illogical in the extreme.

Even if you argued Danger’s H&A season in 2017 was comparable to Martin’s (which is fair) …. Martin’s 3 x final BOG’s, Norm Smith and flag leave Danger (13 turnovers in a diabolical QF) in the dust. To argue otherwise is illogical in the extreme.

With a year like that you should be questioning Time Magazine how he missed out on Man of the Year

Because awards don’t determine quality.
Winning a best picture Oscar doesn’t make Braveheart a better flick than something that lost out to Return of the King does it

I believe Lethal rated it the best season because it was capped off with the ultimate prize with Martin being BOG throughout the finals.

Lethal’s 1977 season was extraordinary, but ended with a 10+ goal PF loss.

So I believe Lethal was musing that it’s not really possible to have a better season than Martin because he achieved everything in the game (as an individual and as part of a team) that everyone holds in the highest esteem in modern footy and in previous era’s… and did it in a single season which had never been done before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back