In the doghouse with the missus

Remove this Banner Ad

TheShardMan

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
So last night my missus tells me her favourite uncle, a mid 60s bachelor, is selling up everything in Albany and moving to Thailand.

All I said in a joking manner was, 'How do you know he's not a pervert?'

She went right off! Called me a dick, said I disrespected her family, bla, bla, bla, it was uncalled for and asked me to apologise. I said it was just a joke! Get stuffed, I'm not apologising.

Since she was so determined to argue I said, 'Did I call him a pervert? Nope. I asked you a question. I didn't label him. Ur the one assuming. So maybe u think he's a pervert.'

U can imagine what came after. The wailing and shouting would've woken the dead. I sat there quietly, staring and wondering how long she was gonna keep it up.

I'll admit, at any moment I could have apologised and been done with it. But why tf should I?

Finally she looked at me and said, 'So what do you have to say?'

By now i was frustrated with her overreaction. First off it was a joke. Just a passing remark. And you'd think after 3 yrs together she'd get my stupid harmless humour.

She replied with, you know he's like a 2nd dad to me, why do u have to say things like that? Is that what u really think?

This back and forth continued for a few minutes before I added,
'Hey, I'm just saying what everyone's thinking. How many single retired men do u know move to Asia for the sights? Ask 100 ppl and 99 will agree with me.'

Yeah so that didn't go down too well.
'F U! Uncle Frank is not a pedo! Don't u spread s**t about my family!'

Which I responded with, 'I didn't say he was a pedo. I asked u if he was a pervert. Maybe he just likes sex with females there cos he can pay for it. Doesnt mean he likes underaged girls.'

Yea, so here I am on my crappy sofa in the shed. I really think she overreacted to a stupid passing comment. I didn't smear her family, it was a stupid joke and only the 2 of us were there to hear it.

Not once did I raise my voice. And it's only after she kept going on and on that I said stuff I knew would piss her off.

Such a stupid, pointless bust up. And what's worse is ill probably cave and apologise cos it's not worth it. Uncle Frank the pervert isnt exactly the hill I want to die on.

If that's the case I should've just said sorry right at the start and saved all this bs.

What do y'all think? Is it really my fault? Am I a dick? Should I apologise?

Was waiting for the punch line.

That being said, that's an overreaction and would lead me to believe it's not the first time Uncle Frank has been called a creap. Tread carefully though because there is always the chance your gf has gone through some form of trauma you're not aware of.

Was waiting for the punch line.

That being said, that's an overreaction and would lead me to believe it's not the first time Uncle Frank has been called a creap. Tread carefully though because there is always the chance your gf has gone through some form of trauma you're not aware of.

no, no punchline. just a stupid fight. In the past id made similar type jokes/references when uncle Frank when away on holidays. although I never put it that way. more like, 'where's uncle Frank now? must like the food and people, etc'

but dude u really got my head spinning with that last comment. damn, id never have thought of things that way.

Let’s be honest, that you were throwing around ask 100 people etc, you do think he’s a pervert, right?

fu** it. Don't apologise. Double down.

I already doubled and tripled down when I didn't say sorry when first called out.
just didn't think her rant was justified esp over a stupid passing comment.

dont like being lectured to is all. And once she went on and on and on I got more stubborn.

Let’s be honest, that you were throwing around ask 100 people etc, you do think he’s a pervert, right?

I think I suspect he maybe one. But to be honest I've never given it any serious thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was you I'd refuse to sleep in the shed.

It's your bed too, why tf does she have the right to kick you out of it?

If she's the one having the problem, let her sleep somewhere else

Ive had this argument - 'your the one with the problem, you sleep on the couch' - then 5 mins later ill be on the couch because cbf'd dealing with her complaining and the same argument going round-and-round-and-round-and-round

Probably should have just said 'I didn't mean to offend, it was just a joke, sorry' etc. Could have ceased it. Truthfully you didn't mean to offend (I think)
Does seem an overreaction (even for a woman), as others have mentioned, maybe a history there.

ur right. I should have tried harder to apologise at the start.

I'm not sure about the history part, that's very unlikely. But I think she's been stressed at work. Maybe why she went off so easily.

I shouldn't have escalated...but u know, didn't wanna concede. yea..im a dick.

Ive had this argument - 'your the one with the problem, you sleep on the couch' - then 5 mins later ill be on the couch because cbf'd dealing with her complaining and the same argument going round-and-round-and-round-and-round
First time I was told to sleep on the couch I stood my ground, haven't been asked since.

Gotta stand your ground friend :)

Not everyone who packs up their life and moves to Thailand is a paedophile, but all Aussie paedophiles would have had seriously considered/already moved to Thailand. Nothing wrong with being suspicious about it. Bit of an overreaction by the partner, but who knows, maybe he's just had a terrible run at life and the idea of moving to Thailand to marry a 20-21 year old sheila is his last shot at happiness.

Not everyone who packs up their life and moves to Thailand is a paedophile, but all Aussie paedophiles would have had seriously considered/already moved to Thailand. Nothing wrong with being suspicious about it. Bit of an overreaction by the partner, but who knows, maybe he's just had a terrible run at life and the idea of moving to Thailand to marry a 20-21 year old sheila is his last shot at happiness.

It's not a unreasonable assumption is it? I'm sure most of us here would think the same right? ofc it's something we may think but not say out loud usually.

But like I said b4 i haven't put any deep thought into it. It was the first thing that came to me. That's all it was.

Nah she went off crying to the room. I went out to the shed.
im sure she was waiting for me to come in and say sorry.

My missus is still waiting for an apology from me - she started the morning off having a crack at me because I left the closet door open (one of her pet hates) and I had a crack back saying that she still leaves crap on our kitchen bench (one of my pet hates - and the kitchen bench was full of crap she had left there for over a week) - but apparently I need to apologise because I had a crack at her :drunk:

This was 5 days ago, she can continue to wait....women......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back