Independent doctors at every match

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s more to do with the ‘power’ of the club doc in that situation - the Cats doctor tried to get him to leave the ground 3 times - he literally did what he could to get him off the ground for a proper assessment.

The doc should either have the power to notify the umpire immediately ala a blood rule type situation or have the ability within the club to act as a runner basically and say ‘Cameron - you’re off’.

Tough call - would be interesting to see if the clubs supported either scenario.

Has to be an independent doctor IMO, club doctors do their best but in the end they are part of (and usually a big supporter) of a club that exists to win games.

Bigfooty dribblers in the mud.

Engage your brains next time. If you can.

A guys head slams into the ground, he's slow to get up, doesn't get taken off late in a close game when he just happens to be the clubs best player.

How can the AFL be content with that if they are serious about protecting the players long term heath?

Has to be an independent doctor IMO, club doctors do their best but in the end they are part of (and usually a big supporter) of a club that exists to win games.

I don’t think any self respecting doctor would be able to look himself in the mirror if he felt a player had a potential head injury that required attention and he sided with ‘oh gee but what about the footy?!’.

Maybe I am over estimating their integrity though, you may be right - the AFL is too cheap to pay for that though.

My only comparison here is this Port pretty much said Aliir was taken off the ground did a test and was found to be Ok and subsequently found to have concussion. AFL called BS and fined us $100k

Cameron hit his head twice wasn't taken off the ground had a different test was found to be Ok and was subsequently found to have concussion. AFL will not call BS and will not fine them.

My only conclusion is the AFL think Port are liars and Geelong are good blokes. Hinkley agrees with this summation.

I don’t think any self respecting doctor would be able to look himself in the mirror if he felt a player had a potential head injury that required attention and he sided with ‘oh gee but what about the footy?!’.

Maybe I am over estimating their integrity though, you may be right - the AFL is too cheap to pay for that though.

Subconscious bias is a thing, and doctors are humans. Putting humans on pedestals is not a good idea in general IMO.

My only comparison here is this Port pretty much said Aliir was taken off the ground did a test and was found to be Ok and subsequently found to have concussion. AFL called BS and fined us $100k

Cameron hit his head twice wasn't taken off the ground had a different test was found to be Ok and was subsequently found to have concussion. AFL will not call BS and will not fine them.

My only conclusion is the AFL think Port are liars and Geelong are good blokes. Hinkley agrees with this summation.

That's a reasonable conclusion I reckon.

A guys head slams into the ground, he's slow to get up, doesn't get taken off late in a close game when he just happens to be the clubs best player.

How can the AFL be content with that if they are serious about protecting the players long term heath?
It went to the spotters in the ARC and they saw nothing. That's independent employees outside the club also arriving at the same view.

But BF dribblers know better of course. 130kg couch bums.

Aliir didn't do the test

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL being pathetic and signing it off doesn't make it right.

The dude was concussed and will miss next week.
Guess we must have avoided a fine by being one of the privileged 12 and not the irrelevant 6.

Neither did Cameron. He should have been HIA assessed at the very least. Aliir was.

Was just responding to the comment on Aliir. 100% Cameron should've been taken off the ground and thats why we need independent docs

I cannot comprehend how the AFL are comfortable with how this situation was handled.

It is a ******* textbook example of how to NOT handle concussion.

I fail to understand how this is different to what Port got fined $100k for last year.

See. We can all post inane ramblings.

Club and AFL say one thing. BF bums know better.. With no medical degrees of course.
It's delayed concussion. Do you need a dictionary definition of 'delayed'?

Subconscious bias is a thing, and doctors are humans. Putting humans on pedestals is not a good idea in general IMO.

I don’t think maintaining basic professional standards is putting someone on a pedestal.

They are doctors - they should be used to making more important decisions that ‘oh gee if Jeremy Cameron comes off, who’s going to kick the winner?!’.

Again though, I may be over estimating the kind of doctors they have at footy clubs.

Do we get a doctor in the ARC who can replay footage instantly and stop the game to allow for HIAs to be completed?

The other one was the clear head clash last night between Nick Blakely and another Swan. Rattled The Lizard so bad his tail fell off….but he was out there for a good while before finally being dragged (basically) for an assessment.

With that one, it would have been ‘message into umps ear’ - player 1 and 2 from Sydney have clashed heads and require an immediate HIA - both come off, 2 players come on, whistle goes again and the game continues - just like the blood rule.

The guys on Fox stated it perfectly and made some very good points:

Must be taken out of the players hands
AFL already relays footage to doctors of head knocks, so they need to then allow umpires to stop the game and have the player taken off for mandatory testing. The particular hit to Cameron was clearly a hard hit and deserving of a full test.

We can not simply trust all clubs in pressure situations to make the right call, nor is it fair to those clubs who are doing the right thing which was mentioned in the commentary about a player coming off in another game with minutes to go in the game.

AFL really needs to start taking this seriously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back