News Injuries 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Not surprised. Bailey had a decent limp up at the VFL on Saturday. Thought he might have just been a bit sore considering he played only 12hrs earlier.

I think much attention in the off season is about who we trade, delist, re-sign etc.

I think player management of injuries and the like needs to be looked at as apriority now.

There are now too many stress type injuries and injuries in general to ignore.

I think much attention in the off season is about who we trade, delist, re-sign etc.

I think player management of injuries and the like needs to be looked at as apriority now.

There are now too many stress type injuries and injuries in general to ignore.
Every ******* year for the past 3 years. At least 10-12 players on the injury list at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been banging on about it all bloody year. Something has to be wrong with our playing surfaces at Whitten Oval and/or Etihad.

Generally soft tissue injuries are a reflection of our strength and conditioning team. It is really funny how clubs in the AFL have moved away from traditional strength coaches to more sports scientists. Another story for another thread though.

These sorts of stress injuries are a management issue and absolutely on the medical and fitness team. Concerning.

I've been keeping tabs on it a bit, this is the sort of stuff that's been happening.

Jack Redpath - Luke Beveridge said he might miss 1 or 2 weeks. Blows out to a near season ending injury

Bailey Dale - 4 week injury. Now out for the season.

Tim English - Originally listed as a 3-4 week injury. Blows out to an 8 week injury.

Matt Suckling - Right to play. Aggravates injury before game, misses the next 4 weeks

Clay Smith - Rumours of knee soreness in pre season (misses intra club match), we hear nothing. A couple months later, he was booked in for surgery. In round 10 he was listed to return in another 2-3 weeks. Right now he's still supposedly another 2-3 weeks away

Kieran Collins - I still don't know what happened here

There's a few other minor ones, but these are the main ones I wanted to highlight, as the original forecast on these injuries is not even close. How can they get it so badly wrong?

I've been keeping tabs on it a bit, this is the sort of stuff that's been happening.

Jack Redpath - Luke Beveridge said he might miss 1 or 2 weeks. Blows out to a near season ending injury

Tim English - Originally listed as a 3-4 week injury. Blows out to an 8 week injury.

Matt Suckling - Right to play. Aggravates injury before game, misses the next 4 weeks

Clay Smith - Rumours of knee soreness in pre season (misses intra club match), we hear nothing. A couple months later, he was booked in for surgery. In round 10 he was listed to return in another 2-3 weeks. Right now he's still supposedly another 2-3 weeks away

There's a few other minor ones, but these are the main ones I wanted to highlight, as the original forecast on these injuries is not even close. How can they get it so badly wrong?
I'm hoping that they lie to the fans with the initial forecast, otherwise these injuries and being misdiagnosed and mistreated which is a huge worry. Need a full external review into our medical and fitness staff, it's beyond a joke now

I can help with Suckling's. I've mentioned here a few times, he will have this injury for good. Ended my playing career.

Curious. I wonder if part of this also has to do with us calling quits on our finals aspirations and so we are just sending players off to rest and recover?

As for the club never reviewing, Beveridge contradicted this earlier in the year.

"Beveridge has had to contend with a host of serious injuries every season since taking over in 2015, including the 2016 premiership year.
"We think about it often and we continually review and reflect," Beveridge said on Friday.

"We definitely don't push the boundaries as far as what we put them through on the training track. We're quite conservative during the year at times ... there's no alarm bells there for us.

"There's no doubt we've had some bad luck (with) some collision and joint injuries ... our soft-tissue stuff has been pretty good.

"I think we've had a bit of bad luck. Hopefully that turns.""

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/coach-can-t-explain-afl-dogs-injury-curse

I trust the club on this one. In their interest to be looking at this like hawks, so I doubt they are closing their eyes to it all.

They could be BSing us or getting prognoses dramatically wrong.

That English injury is really concerning. I mean anyone with an ounce of common sense would be worried about loading up such a huge undeveloped guy...sheesh

3 BSIs in one yr is an indictment on the sports science group and reeks of incompetence. These injuries arent accidents, they are a direct result of the programs the players are put on and a lack of monitoring. In a sense our sports science team might as well have deliberately snapped 3 players' navicular bones. The effect is the same.

Pathetic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back