Inside the Christian Right plotting a political takeover

Remove this Banner Ad

They say they are Christian but has any mainstream Church they claim to represent the views of actually come out and said yes we endorse these people and their views?
They know that openly associating with a politician is much worse for their image than for example, being openly anti-homosexual. Politicians are so much more divisive, unpredictable and disgusting.

As I mentioned earlier it is up to the secular side to get in and participate to sideline the kooks.

It would be up to those on the LNP side of politics to stop it happening. Many of them want it to happen. The others know they'll get their tax cuts as long as they pander to a bit of the theocrats' homophobia and intolerance.

Living in Vic and not being a conservative, there's not much for most of us secular people to do. The Theocracy from the left has mostly been removed, but the authoritarians who drove that movement on the left are still there, just throwing around their intolerance in different ways.

There are intolerant authoritarians on both sides. It's just the religious ones base their intolerance on irrelevant fairy-tales and are even more convicted because indoctrination starts at birth, it's particularly hard to sway them.

It would be up to those on the LNP side of politics to stop it happening. Many of them want it to happen. The others know they'll get their tax cuts as long as they pander to a bit of the theocrats' homophobia and intolerance.

Living in Vic and not being a conservative, there's not much for most of us secular people to do. The Theocracy from the left has mostly been removed, but the authoritarians who drove that movement on the left are still there, just throwing around their intolerance in different ways.

There are intolerant authoritarians on both sides. It's just the religious ones base their intolerance on irrelevant fairy-tales and are even more convicted because indoctrination starts at birth, it's particularly hard to sway them.
Or for extra fun get left leaning types to dress up and hijack a branch/ electorate

Christian Taliban. Great.
What is it with people who can't seem to get through life without the need to tell everyone else what to do?
I swear there is something broken with religious fundamentalists. They're all terrified of just being alive and human with all its failings.
Great post mate.

As I mentioned earlier it is up to the secular side to get in and participate to sideline the kooks.
Absolutely. Right wing churches are arscheholes, but they're extremely well organised arscheholes, and it's up to us to organise equally well to oppose their creeping, disproportionate influence.

More rightist pseudo-Christians filling the LNP front bench. Hastie is about as Christian as Attilla the Hun.

qB2Smg.md.jpg

We're a secular state, no religion deserves a seat at the legislative table.

oh but wait, wait. Blasphemy laws are great though. There would be civil unrest and probably war if not for sec 18 of the RDA.

The mental gymnastics and contortions of fanbois are always amusing to watch.

NB We are NOT a secular state at all. The head of state is the head of the Church of England.

Absolutely. Right wing churches are arscheholes, but they're extremely well organised arscheholes, and it's up to us to organise equally well to oppose their creeping, disproportionate influence.

Yeah all they do is preach Hayek and Von Mises.

This thread really attracting all the intellectual big hitters.

You goose. Clearly you know nothing.

Had you even noticed the phenomenon of ultra-conservative Christians making a concerted, organised move into secular politics that the article linked at the OP talks about?

Or is being snide a higher priority?
Not paying tax is more important than social justice, that's how they attract the secular right wingers, who's usually got a stiffy for sinking the boots into minorities anyway. Win win.

Not paying tax is more important than social justice, that's how they attract the secular right wingers, who's usually got a stiffy for sinking the boots into minorities anyway. Win win.
You are prosperous because God wants you to be and those who are not, are not the chosen people. Clap and sing after me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NB We are NOT a secular state at all. The head of state is the head of the Church of England.

We are a secular state. Anglicanism was never established as a state religion in Australia, as it was in England. While the Queen is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England, the "Church of England in Australia" has its own head. The "Church of England in Australia" has, since August 1981, been known as the "Anglican Church of Australia".

We are a secular state. Anglicanism was never established as a state religion in Australia, as it was in England. While the Queen is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England, the "Church of England in Australia" has its own head. The "Church of England in Australia" has, since August 1981, been known as the "Anglican Church of Australia".

The Anglican church of Australia, first Christian church of Australia, all with its about 8% following? They've got less support than the Greens.

I mean, i've only been goin on about it since before abbott got it

Been happening in VIC and WA in plain sight for years. They've been invited in. (Why Family First and those parties disappeared.) Some day the state Labor parties are going to have enough baggage to lose an election and far right conspiracy theorists will set and implement government policy.

Been happening in VIC and WA in plain sight for years. They've been invited in. (Why Family First and those parties disappeared.) Some day the state Labor parties are going to have enough baggage to lose an election and far right conspiracy theorists will set and implement government policy.

Isn't that what happened when Baillieu was elected. They got nothing done. I think they'll need to win one election with mainstream policies (or none) then they'll try the crazy religious stuff at the second election and lose.

If they get elected on no policies and then try to do some religious stuff in Victoria (in particular) while in Government even the Herald-Sun couldn't save them. Unlike other states, esp Qld, the Murdoch readers and conservative radio listeners and religious nutters don't have overlap in Vic.

In Qld you read religious nuttery in the Murdoch papers and hear it on the conservative airwaves. It's why stuff that comes out of Qld sounds so nutty to Victorians, but perfectly mainstream to Queenslanders.

Isn't that what happened when Baillieu was elected. They got nothing done. I think they'll need to win one election with mainstream policies (or none) then they'll try the crazy religious stuff at the second election and lose.

If they get elected on no policies and then try to do some religious stuff in Victoria (in particular) while in Government even the Herald-Sun couldn't save them. Unlike other states, esp Qld, the Murdoch readers and conservative radio listeners and religious nutters don't have overlap in Vic.

In Qld you read religious nuttery in the Murdoch papers and hear it on the conservative airwaves. It's why stuff that comes out of Qld sounds so nutty to Victorians, but perfectly mainstream to Queenslanders.

it is amazing when you do a radio scan in Queensland - religious stations everywhere speaking all sorts of garbage.

No lib voters posters have anything to say about this?

i have shared the article with those I know who vote lib (because their parents did)....just so they know what they’re really voting for

In NSW they are slowly being pushed out.

I do love the "... by stealth".

They build 15,000 seat churches. How the hell is that stealthy?

Its the subordination of the liberal party thats the stealth bit

Does anyone not know of the Hillsong influence?

Maybe the Exclusive Brethren but that was years ago. Not sure they are still paying big money to political parties (the irony of a group who ban voting...).

Id say Labor pandering to Muslims is probably less of a known thing. But that is more taking advantage of poor English skills and branch stacking than introducing Islamic beliefs in Legislation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back