News Insightful and Inciteful - 2022 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished listening to this. This is my attempt at a transcript as close as I could get to being word for word accurate.

Karl Langdon : Clubs don’t like to call it rebuilds but you committed long term to west coast until 2025, what’s your focus from here for the club and the direction you want to take?

Simpson : Well we’ve been on the path Karl, I mean pretty much last year we went to the draft and this year as it’s turned out we’re going to be second last or last so we’ll hit the draft again. We’re pretty clear on our direction. What is a challenge is, you know, what does it look like if we do get Sheed, Cole, Allen, McGovern, you know Naitanui full season (KL says Chesser), do you bounce, Chesser, or do, is it a longer term situation so I think we’re going to stick to the draft, stick to getting the best talent we can to the club and work our way through it and it’s not just a quick fix. So we recognised this probably two years ago where it was heading and now it’s about going through the hard times to hopefully set us up for the good times. It’s not just a quick fix

Karl : And it’d be handy to keep blokes fit during a preseason too wouldn’t it mate, I mean to compound the problems you had a lot of your senior players just break down at a time that impacted badly and then covid hit and it’s been a really tough start to the season which really you just haven’t recovered?

Simpson : No, no, I mean covid had an affect but then the injuries, you know I mean, Yeo’s another classic that, you know, we haven’t had him properly for a couple of years. So that’s not an excuse, it’s a whole program we’re looking at here so if we get that right, we get our full list available which years gone by we have. In between 15 and 19 we had a really good availability so that’s the challenge for us to get these guys fit and fresh and available for round one next year and with a sprinkling of young talent and growth that’s, you know, hopefully an exciting future, but at the moment it looks pretty tough doesn’t it

I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that with better availability, we might bounce up higher than this year. In fact I think it should be expected to see improvement

Beyond that, I feel he’s acknowledging that we need to be going to the draft as he rightly points out we did last year and that it’s not going to be a quick fix

We sank to the bottom quicker than expected due, at least in part, to factors outside our control so the extent of our decline in 2022 was something of an aberration

Compared to what I hope is happening behind closed doors, I think his answers are a skin deep analysis of what needs to be addressed but at least there’s an acknowledgment that the draft is the road out and it’s not going to be quick or easy
Highlights that we did have a good run with availibility between 2015-19.

I remember pointing this out regularly in injury discussions on here during that time - whilst we had injuries to some of our guns like every other club, our midfield core of Priddis, Shuey, Redden, Gaff, Masten and Yeo (before his OP) were generally all available at the same time. So we were blessed with continuity in our midfield for a number of years.

That trend has obviously reversed recently

I remember pointing this out regularly in injury discussions on here during that time - whilst we had injuries to some of our guns like every other club, our midfield core of Priddis, Shuey, Redden, Gaff, Masten and Yeo (before his OP) were generally all available at the same time. So we were blessed with continuity in our midfield for a number of years.

Which highlighted the poor planning / recruiting by the club over the same period.

I think part of this is just players getting old. In 2008-2010 we dropped down the ladder when we lost some stars (Judd/Cousins etc) and a bunch of our veterans started getting injured frequently (Embley, Kerr, Cox) - this forced us to play the kids and the rebuild was on.

I still think this current rebuild will play out in a similar way. We're likely to get a season or two where our senior players are on the park again (Gov, Yeo etc) which will push us up the ladder (and give our young guys big game experience). We'll then dip down for a season or two once the senior players retire, then we'll be ready for a sustained push for finals.

As others have said, this season might be a blessing in disguise as it has forced us to be bottom 2, rather than maybe 11th-9th. We might also be better served with another bottom 4 finish next year.

How stupid. This article suggesting clubs to go after Josh Kennedy.

Are they living under a rock and even understand that he retired not because Eagles wanted him too. Josh Kennedy wanted to retire himself and doesn't want to play at the top level anymore.

Just pissed me off reading this garbage.

That Simpson interview, he mentions Nicnat, Yeo and McGovern by name. I hope he's not expecting much from them next year because the first of those has plodded around with a gut all year and the latter 2 have been barely sighted for 3 years. What gives him the confidence it will change in '23?

Oh that West Australian. So in the Eagles' pocket that they're... still complaining about Willie Rioli not being suspended in Round 1 five months later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How stupid. This article suggesting clubs to go after Josh Kennedy.

Are they living under a rock and even understand that he retired not because Eagles wanted him too. Josh Kennedy wanted to retire himself and doesn't want to play at the top level anymore.

Just pissed me off reading this garbage.
Although not surprised by who's idea it was, the guy's a dead set FI.

Would probably head there to watch if I lived in Oz, good weekend away with the family or mates, incorporate some surfing or fishing!
Kennedy is set to play a game with Mark LeCras and Harry Taylor for Northampton that Margetts has committed to umpiring.

No surprises Bung and JK crack a mention.

3. Harry Taylor (Geelong)

“I’d always feel guilty giving him a free kick because he would come up with, ‘Deano, what was that for?’.

“I’d always question whether I got it right or wrong because he would ask in such a nice way, I’d just want to give him a cuddle.

Kristen Bell Awww GIF

3. Harry Taylor (Geelong)

“I’d always feel guilty giving him a free kick because he would come up with, ‘Deano, what was that for?’.

“I’d always question whether I got it right or wrong because he would ask in such a nice way, I’d just want to give him a cuddle.

Kristen Bell Awww GIF
In Round 1 2022 it would’ve been a 50m penalty instead of a cuddle.

Why isnt dean cox on that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back