Is Brett Ratten a genius? (Now with Poll)

Is Brett Ratten a genius?

• Yes. Up there with Einstein and Da Vinci.

Votes: 82 63.1%
  • Not a genius but a very good Assistant Coach

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • ordinary assistant with a happy knack for arriving at a club during good times

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • When Jack Watts finally hangs up his boots in 2030 he will walk in to a senior coaching position

Votes: 16 12.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Harsh on Ratten

Thought he had a pretty decent list and he was sacked by a football department which had lined up big things for the club and viewed them as unacceptable, They had some poor preformances, they also had their fair share of injuries.

In turn they hired Malthouse as someone to elevate them to the next level, he proceeded to gut the list in a style which made Melbourne Blush, when the cool thing to do was rule a line out of anyone who wouldnt play in their next premiership and turn over 30% of your list every year. They also just guttered the entire coaching department, I think their Loss that year was purely on paying out the coaching staff to GTFO. Screamed of a hissy fit after one down year after rising back from the grave and not knowing how to deal with it.

Ratten had a really good run/carry/spread team, I dont think any team in 09-10-11 ran as hard as some of those carlton guys. Malthouse got them back into the finals, finished 13th next season and just went full HAM

Ratten was internally rated at hawthorn. He's probably just waiting for the correct club and oppotunity to open up.

Harsh on Ratten

Thought he had a pretty decent list and he was sacked by a football department which had lined up big things for the club and viewed them as unacceptable, They had some poor preformances, they also had their fair share of injuries.

In turn they hired Malthouse as someone to elevate them to the next level, he proceeded to gut the list in a style which made Melbourne Blush, when the cool thing to do was rule a line out of anyone who wouldnt play in their next premiership and turn over 30% of your list every year. They also just guttered the entire coaching department, I think their Loss that year was purely on paying out the coaching staff to GTFO. Screamed of a hissy fit after one down year after rising back from the grave and not knowing how to deal with it.

Ratten had a really good run/carry/spread team, I dont think any team in 09-10-11 ran as hard as some of those carlton guys. Malthouse got them back into the finals, finished 13th next season and just went full HAM

Ratten was internally rated at hawthorn. He's probably just waiting for the correct club and oppotunity to open up.

Not sure if he even wants another senior coaching gig, I think he's quite happy just being an assistant coach and having less pressure to deal with.

Brett Ratten was a disaster at Carlton as senior coach. We are still paying today for his tenure.

We did not have a list manager back in his day. He was the boss of the football department and had sway over the recruiting and trading as well. In fact he had his fingers in almost every part of the club, even non football related things. Part of the reason he was given the arse.

Read the lists for recruiting and trading below. Pathetic. Set the club back 10 years in just five years of coaching. He thought he had a list that was good enough and did not treat the draft with respect or use trading strategically.

Fred Flinstone could have coached the Carlton list to 5th in 2011. Sadly the work in 2009 and 2010 did not attempt to turn over the list or build it up.

Recruiting.

2011 National Draft
Pick 22:
Josh Bootsma, Sth Fremantle, WAFL
Pick 44: Sam Rowe, Norwood, SANFL
Pick 62: Dylan Buckley, Northern Knights U18

2010 National Draft
Pick 18: Matthew Watson, Calder Cannons U18
Pick 34: Patrick McCarthy, Glenelg, SANFL
Pick 42: Luke Mitchell, Calder Cannons U18
Pick 67: Andrew McInnes, Dandenong Stingrays U18
Pick 70: Nick Duigan, Norwood, SANFL
Pick 85: Jeffery Garlett, Promoted Rookie
Pick 99: David Ellard, Promoted Rookie
Pick 108: Simon White, Promoted Rookie

2009 National Draft
Pick 12: Kane Lucas, East Fremantle, WAFL
Pick 43: Marcus Davies, North Hobart
Pick 59: Rohan Kerr*, Dandenong Stingrays U18
Pick 72: Sam Jacobs, Promoted Rookie
Pick 85: Aaron Joseph, Promoted Rookie

2008 National Draft
Pick 6: Chris Yarran, Swan Districts, WAFL
Pick 40: Mitch Robinson, Tassie Devils U18
Pick 65: Rhys O'Keeffe, North Adelaide, SANFL
Pick 80: Caleb Tiller*, Murray Bushrangers U18
Pick 85: Pass

TRADING

End of Year 2011 Trades
Nil

End of Year 2010 Trades
Shaun Grigg to Richmond in return for Andrew Collins.
Sam Jacobs to Adelaide in return for Picks 34 Patrick McCarthy and 67 Andrew McInnes.
Picks 37 (George Horlin-Smith) and 53 (Jordan Schroder) to Geelong for Jeremy Laidler and Pick 42 Luke Mitchell.

2009 Trades
Draft choice 11 (Jordan Gysberts) to Melbourne for Brock McLean.
Brendan Fevola and Pick 27 (Callum Bartlett) traded to Brisbane for Lachlan Henderson and Pick 12 Kane Lucas.

2008 Trades
Draft choices 24 (Nick Suban), 56 (Ben Bucovaz) and 72 (Will Young) to Fremantle for Robert Warnock and draft choice 69.

That's the CEO's fault for not setting up a proper footy department surely.

Just occurred to me that Ratten may well be a genius.

1. Gets Carlton in to two finals series - a miracle in itself. Carlton of all clubs.
2. Arrives at the Hawks in 2013 at the start of a famous 3-peat.
3. Rocks up to the Saints, and suddenly there is a dramatic 180 degree turnaround.

Either it is a happy coincidence or the bloke is a genius.

Thoughts?

3 finals series for Carlton. However, Carlton of all clubs is a bit rich. We had a 6 year absence before Ratten became senior coach, not 20.

Ive said it before and I'll say it again, he was the most unfairly treated senior coach I've seen for some time.

He totally deserves another shot.

That ssaid, if Carlton fans couldnt warm to him, I fear for him with another head gig.
Mathew Knights says hi

The whole recruiting and trading strategy was Ratten. Ask around about how Kane Lucas was recruited at pick 12.

The thing is, this wasn't considered a bad pick or a reach at the time. Lucas was genuinely one of the top juniors in the country, an U/18 All-Australian in what was viewed as a very strong draft class. It's hindsight and the way he turned out (just not very good, no great trouble or controversy beyond that IFAIK) that makes it a "bad" choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mathew Knights says hi

Essendon had a 25-1-41 record (and an overall percentage of 85.03) under Knights, and one of the most undeserving finals appearances (10 wins and a draw? Please!) and embarrassing finals exits of all time in the middle. They were going nowhere and doing nothing under him.

Ratten got sacked following an 11-11 season with a percentage of 108, and three straight finals appearances prior. He's given them 5 straight years of double-figure wins (2008-2012) for the first time in a decade (1992-1997 the time prior). The Blues had stumbled in 2012, but Ratten should have been given further time to correct. Instead, they were seduced by the idea of Mick Malthouse, and the rest is history.

Last edited:
Essendon had a 25-141 record (and an overall percentage of 85.03) under Knights, and one of the most undeserving finals appearances (10 wins and a draw? Please!) and embarrassing finals exits of all time in the middle. They were going nowhere and doing nothing under him.
Well they went somewhere real fast after sacking Knights didn't they?

All Brett's are genius and so much more

Double-figure wins in each of the next four seasons, which was better than what Knights produced, yeah. Obviously how they got there and the fallout is questionable, but Essendon were pretty rudderless at the end of Knights' tenure, too. He certainly wouldn't have a whinge when compared to Ratten's circumstances.

Double-figure wins in each of the next four seasons, which was better than what Knights produced, yeah. Obviously how they got there and the fallout is questionable, but Essendon were pretty rudderless at the end of Knights' tenure, too. He certainly wouldn't have a whinge when compared to Ratten's circumstances.

you're out of line bringing knights into this

you're out of line bringing knights into this

I didn't bring him into it, just responding to claims that he was equally or more hard done by as a coach than Ratten.

Slight typo. I think you mean 25-41.

24-141 would be horrendous ;)

I meant 25-1-41. 25 wins, one draw, 41 losses.

Back