Is it time to make Pro Wrestling a legitime sport?

Remove this Banner Ad

Given the WWE and all other wrestling companies and even small indies have stepped away from the entertainment factor of wrestling, is it time they just made it a legitimate sport?

Sounds silly, but think about it, even the WWE doesn’t care anymore about storylines, character development etc. and they have catered the product to Wrestling nerds who enjoy the in ring action and the quality of matches.

5 star ratings on matches have basically taken over and even the wrestlers themselves care more about having better quality matches than making money.

So the way it could work would be you could have judges like Dave Meltzer give ratings for each match, meaning professional wrestling can basically turn into sports like Diving, Gymnastics, Synchronized Swimming etc.

What do we think?

anigif_enhanced-30234-1407792571-6.gif

WWE already did it in the form of Brawl for All and it was shithouse.

For professional wrestling to be a legit sport, it would have to be a combat sport (as it's "wrestling" and is derived from shoot wrestling but worked, brother), not exhibition "sports" like synchronised swimming or equestrian, etc.

There's no way you can make NJPW-style or "flippy s**t" matches real fights without the result of serious injuries and/or deaths in the ring. With all sorts of rules and regulations and restrictions to prevent deaths and disabilities in the ring, a shoot version of pro-wrestling is basically MMA in a wrestling ring, which is what they do in Japan anyway.

I don’t think he means two competitors genuinely fighting to beat each other, but more so two wrestlers working together to make the best match. Although it could never be considered legitimate to any outside the wrestling community, so I doubt it would work.

I hear what you are saying mate but no.. It wouldn't work. I don't know where you are getting your info from mate but characters & story lines are what professional wrestling is. Every promotion uses them. Also when you are putting your match together, you talk to the other boys to make sure you are using different high spots, finishers etc. If it was being "judged" you would see the same spots in every match. Also how would you judge who wins? it would have to be a teams event as the 2 guys wrestling each other have to work together on every move?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back