Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Apr 20, 2008
The Terrortory!
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Uni Rats! Believeburgh
I haven't watched much footy this year, but what I have seen in patches has not been convincing from our midfielders.

I am extremely worried about Mundy in particular.

I know he's coming back from injury, and may have lost his touch.

However, he really has been a 1 and a half trick pony - a good kick and good hands in close.

And I'm concerned his injury may have eliminated his one strength.

Anyone who has done an ankle will tell you their kicking is never the same again. Is it the case with Mundy? Especially considering his surgery is somewhat of an unknown in AFL footy.

He has been increasingly using his left foot.

He appears not to be able to deliver his low passes - a symptom of not being able to point your foot.

If he loses his kicking, does he have a place in the AFL? I don't think he does.

He needs to pull something out of that hat, or get his legs sorted, because he is not playing to an AFL standard at the moment.

I sincerely hope he gets it together, because we need him in order to be successful.

I haven't watched much footy this year, but what I have seen in patches has not been convincing from our midfielders.

I am extremely worried about Mundy in particular.

I know he's coming back from injury, and may have lost his touch.

However, he really has been a 1 and a half trick pony - a good kick and good hands in close.

And I'm concerned his injury may have eliminated his one strength.

Anyone who has done an ankle will tell you their kicking is never the same again. Is it the case with Mundy? Especially considering his surgery is somewhat of an unknown in AFL footy.

He has been increasingly using his left foot.

He appears not to be able to deliver his low passes - a symptom of not being able to point your foot.

If he loses his kicking, does he have a place in the AFL? I don't think he does.

He needs to pull something out of that hat, or get his legs sorted, because he is not playing to an AFL standard at the moment.

I sincerely hope he gets it together, because we need him in order to be successful.

Everyone thought Cox was finished a couple of years ago when he played injured and was terrible. I wrote Fletcher off 6 years ago when he had a poor year. Mundy probably just came back before he was ready and can't play at the level needed. I don't think we need to panic just yet.

Perhaps a bit premature to be making judgements on his future?

Agree it's definitely a worry though. He was integral when we were a decent team in 2010.

Am also very worried about our midfield. Looking at us on the weekend (and looking at Adelaide) we have no genuine inside mid capacity. Mundy is part of the problem but I'm not sure we have the resources.

Everyone thought Cox was finished a couple of years ago when he played injured and was terrible. I wrote Fletcher off 6 years ago when he had a poor year. Mundy probably just came back before he was ready and can't play at the level needed. I don't think we need to panic just yet.

Agree with this, if anything I think Mundy's footskills are still great (especially a couple of great, creative footpasses v Port) - it is his endurance and leg speed that is really worrying me at present. Hopefully these things can come back sooner rather than later.

you've lost me with that last comment, chops but i reckon it's a combination of finding fitness and touch, ie. form. he had a number of beautiful kicks against port which i thought looked promising.
edit. what the dude above me said.

Yeah, I'd go with something like that. I remember Cox being a liability for WC and far from the AA star he was and is showing again now. Not the same injury, but not far off.

We see glimpses of old Mundy, you tend to see it early in games and he steadily fades out only to pop-up now and then. I know one of the assistants said that his match fitness is well down and he's not covering the amount of ground a top mid should and he was doing pre-injury. I know that doesn't directly impact delivery etc, but it does indirectly. Fatigued players don't execute skills as well and don't execute them as quickly which can bring more pressure to bear and so a vicious cycle develops.

I don't think he's done just yet, well at least we don't know it for sure. Let's see how he's going late this year and early next and then we'll have a better idea. I've seen enough glimpses to be quite hopeful and I'm a fairly pessimistic guy generally when it comes to Freo.

Barlow on the other hand I'm more worried about, though I suspect similar may apply.

I hope he'll pull it together. Let's not forget his consecutive games record, he improves with every game, this is just a restart.

I can see him slowly getting better each week. Obviously, at the moment it's quite worrying but I think he'll get back to his best later this year.

Am also very worried about our midfield. Looking at us on the weekend (and looking at Adelaide) we have no genuine inside mid capacity. Mundy is part of the problem but I'm not sure we have the resources.

Lower hopefully, maybe Deboer will be tried there. Morabito is playing as an inside mid at Peel and doing it very well apparently. Neale will probably go in there more and Sutcliffe is also a good clearance player although he has been playing on the outside for EF. Sheridan is a good clearance player with great hands and vision. We have them, just not just yet.
Ballantyne also got 5 clearances in one game recently as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My prediction is mundy is far from finished.
Mundy is showing how you play when you've only had a four week preseason.

Remember the hawks of 2009? The club had a horrid run of preseason injuries and they proceeded to go from winning the flag in 2008 to missing the top 8 the very next year.This is the very reason mundy is struggling and will struggle all year IMO.Barra has a solid preseason next year ,and it'll be back to business as usual.:thumbsu:

Put him on the half back flank for a while like on Saturday. He's brilliant there setting up play. He's miles from finished, suspect OP is a weird reverse troll from the increasingly psychedelic mind of Chops!

Put him on the half back flank for a while like on Saturday. He's brilliant there setting up play. He's miles from finished, suspect OP is a weird reverse troll from the increasingly psychedelic mind of Chops!

Spot on E shed.LC mentioned barra back too the back flank.

I reckon your gunna get wishes of sonny returning this week.
Lyon in his parting comment on 6PR.ranga 1, "will he(sonny)play this week"?, "time will tell", Lyon....

No preseason, noone going in hard to win the ball no not finished.
Shown he still has great kicking skills in other games this year.

Agree with E shed, in an ideal world he would be playing the Duffield type role.
Its just noone has shown enough to force him out of midfield.

Our midfield mix is WRONG when you compare it to pretty much every other good midfield in the comp.
Thats why Balla is being tried in midfield so we have a hard at it guy in there at times with abit of acceleration and speed.

This has to be up there with one of the worst threads. Seriously your writing off David Mundy? Absolute joke and should be ashamed to call yourself a Fremantle suppourterm, harsh? No, for someone to think Mundy is finished is someone with half a brain.

He's lost his first 5 steps which give him his space.

Also suffering from not being the first receiver at the ruck knock, why Hill is being pushed as this player has me stuffed.

Mundy has he vision and height to release those around him.

Astonished to see a thread such as this on a Freo support Forum. Don't forget that all of the pre-season drills were based on adapting to a new game style and Mundy could barely participate in any of them. He is still finding a bit of the ball and will get better.

Astonished to see a thread such as this on a Freo support Forum. Don't forget that all of the pre-season drills were based on adapting to a new game style and Mundy could barely participate in any of them. He is still finding a bit of the ball and will get better.

So the thread proclaiming Sandi, Pav and McPharlin are past it isn't astonishing but this is?

Bad threads are a pretty common occurrence on this board.

I can see him slowly getting better each week. Obviously, at the moment it's quite worrying but I think he'll get back to his best later this year.

I dunno about that mate, you hear his interview this last weekend at the million paws walk ? ( the lisp made me chuckle ) plus he has a little "Yap Yap" dog and not some ballzy dog like a Staffy or Alsatian..might feel threatened in the Dog Hierarchy thing ?

Our midfield mix is WRONG when you compare it to pretty much every other good midfield in the comp.
Thats why Balla is being tried in midfield so we have a hard at it guy in there at times with abit of acceleration and speed.

Yep, this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back