Is Rhyce Shaw just a less experienced Mark Neeld?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Rhyce started his coaching career in 2016. After his retirement in 2015. In 2019 he filled in as the interim head coach and was officially named as the head coach at the end of that year.

I find it baffling that such an inexperienced coach would be given the senior coaching position. Obviously he’s a terrific people person and can build strong relationships because he’s a young coach and can relate to the modern day player. But tactically he’s completely out of his depth. And last year he was able to coach with a free spirit with no expectations. But this year it appears completely different and he seems lost. Could this be a massive blunder by North? And could he be as bad of a coach as Mark Neeld? One thing Neeld has over Shaw was that he started his coaching career with premiership success at the local level. And also success for a long time as an assistant. Rhyce’s apprentice pales in comparison.

Rhyce started his coaching career in 2016. After his retirement in 2015. In 2019 he filled in as the interim head coach and was officially named as the head coach at the end of that year.

I find it baffling that such an inexperienced coach would be given the senior coaching position. Obviously he’s a terrific people person and can build strong relationships because he’s a young coach and can relate to the modern day player. But tactically he’s completely out of his depth. And last year he was able to play with a free spirit with no expectations. But this year it seems completely different and he seems lost. Could this be a massive blunder by North? And could he be as bad of a coach as Mark Neeld?

Just needs those 2016 umpires on his side.

Just needs those 2016 umpires on his side.
Surely as a Lions supporter who witnessed your team go out in straight sets after winning the free kick count in both games you’d know it takes more than that to win games of footy. Bevo is a terrific coach. But let’s not make this thread about him.

Needs to develop the Neeldy crazy eyes first.

Also not sure why he's played Cunnington and Ziebell the last two weeks? Cunnington looked like an 80 year old man in warm up/fitness test last week and they played him. Fyfe and Freo should've been a massive warning sign for Shaw and North, don't rush back hamstring injuries.

The problem with North is their list, not their coach - well could be both but I'd like more time to assess the coach. I've been saying it for years, their list is so vanilla. They did not commit to a full rebuild when they had the chance, have a bunch of foot soldiers with low ceilings other than a few gun kids (Thomas, Zurharr and Simpkin). Just don't rate them at all.

Doubt we’ll ever see another Neeld.
His press conference after his very first game was incredible ...
Eyes rolling all over the place, he threw his players straight under the bus when he replied to a question with ...
Don’t ask me ... ask them !!
Mike Sheehan couldn’t believe it, he knew immediately Neeld was a “live one”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comparing him to Neeld feels very harsh, but seems a McCarthy type as things stand - pretty decent developer of kids (likes of Simpkin, Taylor, Larkey have kicked on under him), knows how to set up around clearances, but seems a bit clueless otherwise. He has had a pretty rotten run with injury but it feels like a fair bit of it is down to mismanagement too. Much as I'd like an ex-Sydney player to succeed, he might be in trouble.

There can be only one Mark Neeld.

If anything, Mark Neeld only got worse as he was hardened from years of regular thrashings by more professional clubs. If Shaw holds the reins for several more years and finishes dead last every time, the comparison will have more merit.

There can be only one Mark Neeld.

If anything, Mark Neeld only got worse as he was hardened from years of regular thrashings by more professional clubs. If Shaw holds the reins for several more years and finishes dead last every time, the comparison will have more merit.
You do realize Mark Neeld was only coach for a year and a half right? Also he didn't even finish last.

He was god-awful and it doesn't need you adding mayo to the story given it was already bad enough.

You do realize Mark Neeld was only coach for a year and a half right? Also he didn't even finish last.

He was god-awful and it doesn't need you adding mayo to the story given it was already bad enough.
Only a year and a half? I stand corrected then.

It felt like 5 years.

Is that the shortest coaching tenure in the modern era?
Depends on how you define modern era. In the 21st Century I think so, I'm pretty sure every full-time coach saw at least two full seasons before dismissal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back