Is Shaun Burgoyne like Hawthorns Enright?

Remove this Banner Ad

Burgoyne is like Enright when he plays half back, Steve Johnson when he goes forward and like Ablett in the midfield.
I met him once at my local. The nicest bloke you could ever meet. Literally one of the nicest most genuine blokes I’ve ever had the pleasure of having a chat with. I don’t but into hyperbole though. Not close to SJ as a forward or a 5x MVP as a mid. A long time gun who was never the best of the best but always stood up when it counted.

He isn’t Ablett, he isn’t the best HBF of the modern era, he is a dead set gun though. And that’s all you can ask. Helped his team win the ultimate prize many times.

This thread is full of people agreeing so i'm going to totally disagree.

Burgoyne has been a very good footballer for a very long time, but he's a fair way behind Enright over the course of their careers. Burgoyne is incredibly versatile and had played at a high level just about everywhere on the park before he even arrived at Hawthorn, but Enright was the best 2 way small defender in the league for almost a decade.

Looking at honours (because performance is subjective), Enright has 6 AA guernseys and 2 B&Fs (in one of the greatest teams of all time), but more importantly than that, both B&Fs were in premiership years, which IMO is the highest individual honour someone can win in football.

Burgoyne has 1 AA guernsey, won in 2006 playing midfield for Port. No B&Fs. No other individual honours worth mentioning.

Enright will be a first ballot Hall of Famer. Burgoyne's resume is probably a bit thin at the moment given how many of his 3x or 4x premiership teammates will be competing for HoF spots with better resumes. He's relying on longevity and a terrific public image crafted by a long career full of being a consumate professional and role model on and off the field.

This thread is full of people agreeing so i'm going to totally disagree.

Burgoyne has been a very good footballer for a very long time, but he's a fair way behind Enright over the course of their careers. Burgoyne is incredibly versatile and had played at a high level just about everywhere on the park before he even arrived at Hawthorn, but Enright was the best 2 way small defender in the league for almost a decade.

Looking at honours (because performance is subjective), Enright has 6 AA guernseys and 2 B&Fs (in one of the greatest teams of all time), but more importantly than that, both B&Fs were in premiership years, which IMO is the highest individual honour someone can win in football.

Burgoyne has 1 AA guernsey, won in 2006 playing midfield for Port. No B&Fs. No other individual honours worth mentioning.

Enright will be a first ballot Hall of Famer. Burgoyne's resume is probably a bit thin at the moment given how many of his 3x or 4x premiership teammates will be competing for HoF spots with better resumes. He's relying on longevity and a terrific public image crafted by a long career full of being a consumate professional and role model on and off the field.

SB does have a trophy cabinet that is oddly empty for individual awards. Enright is a bit of a rarity for a HBF.

But there are so few individual awards each season for HB Flankers to win.

Birchall only has one AA. And Hodge only has one AA playing that HBF role. The only other defender to get an AA gong was Gibson once. We were so even across our back six.

Burgoyne has won a couple of games a year off his own boot at the Hawks... only when he is released from his HBF role.

He won us the 2013 Prelim in the last quarter when released off the HBF... he got 3 HTB decisions in the first 10 minutes.... then directly created or kicked our next 3 goals. if we lost that game, i shudder to think....

SB was fav for the Norm Smith after the first quarter of the 2014 GF, and then kicked 2 goals in the last quarter... mostly HBF however.

Last edited:
SB does have a trophy cabinet that is oddly empty for individual awards. Enright is a bit of a rarity for a HBF.

But there are so few individual awards each season for HB Flankers to win. Burgoyne was never going to win season awards playing HBF in the system at the Hawks. Birchall only has one AA. And Hodge only has one AA playing that HBF role. The only other defender to get an AA gong was Gibson once. We were so even across our back six.

Burgoyne has won a couple of games a year off his own boot at the Hawks... only when he is released from his HBF role. He won us the 2013 Prelim in the last quarter... he got 3 HTB decisions in the first 10 minutes.... then directly created or kicked our next 3 goals. if we lost that game, i shudder to think.... SB was also fav for the Norm Smith after the first quarter of the 2014 GF, and then kicked 2 goals in the last quarter. Didn't play midfield that day.

The bolded part is basically all i'm saying.

Enright would be in the conversation for the team of the century half backline. Burgoyne isn't quite there, and there's no shame in not being as good as Enright.

Still, there are 2 HBF spots in the AA team every year as well as 4 bench spots. There are ways to be recognised if you're very good over a long time.

I think Burgoyne maybe slightly better than Birchall over the journey, but i'd have Gibson ahead of him, and his 2 B&Fs show that Hawthorn agree.

The bolded part is basically all i'm saying.

Enright would be in the conversation for the team of the century half backline. Burgoyne isn't quite there, and there's no shame in not being as good as Enright.

Still, there are 2 HBF spots in the AA team every year as well as 4 bench spots. There are ways to be recognised if you're very good over a long time.

I think Burgoyne maybe slightly better than Birchall over the journey, but i'd have Gibson ahead of him, and his 2 B&Fs show that Hawthorn agree.

I would add that the AA selection panel must have made a change in policy re super-teams after awarding 9 places to Geelong in 2007....

and even then Geelong players seem to get recognised much easier than Hawks...

for a few years Mitchell was left wallowing in the AA team of 40 despite cleaning up on Brownlow night and in other season awards.

I would also argue Burgoyne was played out of position to be a competition STAR... just as Hodge was.... whereas most agree that Enright's best position was HBF.

I don't understand the comparison.

Enright 10x better as a back man which is where he played for 99.9% of his career?

I see the comparison for a number of reasons:

1. rare to have such truly great players running off HBF
2. both viewed as `footballers footballer'
3. both often saved their teams and were loved for pulling them across the line or out of the fire

10x better? hmmmmm.... I agree Burgoyne moves around... and arguably his best footy is played on the ball.... but i don't recall seeing him beaten by forwards....

Burgoyne is like Enright when he plays half back, Steve Johnson when he goes forward and like Ablett in the midfield.
I remember burgoyne getting towelled up like a wet paper bag at the peak of his career in the 2007 gf. It was the turning point in his career in which he never became the star we all thought he was destined to be. Instead he became a cameo player.

Enright only played one great final in his whole career that is worthy of the tag champion and even on that day ablett and scarlett were better. Burgoyne only played great qtrs in finals.

You do know that Shauny has played more than 30 finals....?

I think you mean to say that during some finals Burgoyne totally dominated in some quarters.... (not that he didn't play great 4 quarter finals).... and that it was those dominant quarters that elevate him to his status above other players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember burgoyne getting towelled up like a wet paper bag at the peak of his career in the 2007 gf. It was the turning point in his career in which he never became the star we all thought he was destined to be. Instead he became a cameo player.

Maybe you were too busy fapping over the margin to actually watch?

Shaun was one of the few Port players that wasn't completely disgraced on the day. More tackles than any other Port player, and their equal highest goal scorer with 2 goals (along with Tredrea).

Shaun would have been a bigger star if his knee didn't require his time in the middle to be managed over a large part of his career.

I'd say you'd be less antagonistic in your assessment if it wasn't for this:
w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Still 350 is nothing to sneeze at. Probably the last 350 game milestone we will ever see. Shaun Burgoyne is the last of his kind.
Harvey made 400 a couple of years ago. We will see more and more 400 plus game players because sports science is so much better now as is the money.

You do know that Shauny has played more than 30 finals....?

I think you mean to say that during some finals Burgoyne totally dominated in some quarters.... (not that he didn't play great 4 quarter finals).... and that it was those dominant quarters that elevate him to his status above other players.
He never became a dominant midfilder in a final racking up 30 possession games like hodge and mitchelll would do. He never became a great lock down defensive medium who creamed great forwards like an enright and he never became a great forward flanker who could kick bags of 5 in a final like a chapman or akermanis. He was mostly just a solid rank and file player who could have a big dominant qtr. The greats had dominant games. Burgoyne never did that in finals or really home and away all that much at hawthorn. He was a cameo player. Perhaps the best in twenty years cameo player. But a cameo player none the less.

Burgoyne is more versatile, Enright was more consistent.

Both are greats of the game with respect from everyone in the footy community. Never heard a bad word said about either of them.

Probably a fair assessment - but people do tend to forget that Enright began the noteworthy portion of his career as a midfielder. He played the 2007 and 2008 grand final in the centre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back