Is this the worst draft since inception?

Remove this Banner Ad

James Cook, Jason McCartney and Matt Clape played more footy than that

Cook played 77 games for 3 clubs, McCartney played 182 games also for 3 clubs, and Clape played 87 games for 2 clubs and is a premiership player

Of the challenges the comp has faced this year, the draft feels lower priority. A lot of potential draftees will be understandably anxious, similarly to their schooling, but I'm sure the AFL will tailor list management and draft workarounds for the present climate. Probably a weird mysterious year to have a lot of 2nd round picks. But when you think back to the early 10s, the wooden spoon side (leaving aside that the Suns and Giants were that in 2011-13) weren't necessarily first pick, maybe not even second or third. In a couple years we'll probably hear a few hard luck/tougher road tales of how this invisible kid had a late growth spurt at 17 and started to play a lot better (the U-18 breakout) just as Covid hit, and therefore wasn't noticed by recruiters until early 20s based on his prior form.

The draft has improved since inception, however no football in some states will make things tough. Eventually though most of the
talent that gets overlooked will be identified down the track, there are bigger issues facing us at the moment. What does the new
normal look like and when will it be ushered in ?

There is a fair bit of data on many of the kids anyway from their previous years of footy.

The only real difference this year will be the lack of some of those "outside chances" at the start of the year who put together a good season and rise up the draft boards accordingly.

Will also result in some of those that would have "slid" in their draft year being picked higher than they otherwise would.

May result in some Victorian players sliding, with more certainty about those picked out of WA/SA etc

But really these are all minor changes to the overall quality of the draft given how hit and miss it can be even with all the information clubs normally have.

It's not unusual for clubs to draft players who have been injured for their entire draft year. Port recently took Georgiades in the first round even though he didn't play in 2019. Saints took Max King at pick 4 even though he did an ACL and missed most of his draft year.
When they started GWS and GC had to pick 12 kids a year early. GWS picked up Cameron, Shiel, Treloar, Wilson, Hombsch, Bugg, Darly Golds, Tunbridge, Ugle, Harding, Growden.

The 1990 AFL draft did not include Vic Metro players as zones in Melbourne were still in operation. Furthermore, the Crows were coming into the competition and had the pick of all the best South Australians prior to the draft.

West Coast had access to the two best WA players (Glen Jakovich and Mitch White) prior to the draft. The Swans and the Bears also had the pick of the best players from NSW, ACT, Qld and NT prior to the draft.

It's not at all comparable to drafts in today's era.

I think it is likely 'the worst' in the sense it is one of the worst drafts to finish low on the ladder.

Yes, the early drafting days were worse but clubs were also much less reliant on the draft as there wasn't all of the other equalisation measures and professionalism that inhibit clubs today (i.e. it is harder to gain an advantage on the comp through other means today).

Then there is the lack of football as noted and on top of that, the draft are extremely compromised this year (lots of academy picks).

I think this year, more than any recent previous example, you are just as likely to get a good player with a mid range pick as you are an early pick.

Which is a shame for a club like mine who are set to finish low, desperately need quality youth and have not had high draft pick currency for eons.

Recruiters have been following these guys for years, so even though there’s far less data on the prospects they should be able to put together a reasonable table of talent.

Interesting to see what kind of bargain's clubs will get in the later rounds, and what kinds of trades will eventuate. I think plenty of good but not great players will go for mid-range picks, and with the possibility of list reductions clubs will be actively looking to fling players for picks too.

Of the challenges the comp has faced this year, the draft feels lower priority. A lot of potential draftees will be understandably anxious, similarly to their schooling, but I'm sure the AFL will tailor list management and draft workarounds for the present climate. Probably a weird mysterious year to have a lot of 2nd round picks. But when you think back to the early 10s, the wooden spoon side (leaving aside that the Suns and Giants were that in 2011-13) weren't necessarily first pick, maybe not even second or third. In a couple years we'll probably hear a few hard luck/tougher road tales of how this invisible kid had a late growth spurt at 17 and started to play a lot better (the U-18 breakout) just as Covid hit, and therefore wasn't noticed by recruiters until early 20s based on his prior form.
That was the Tigers. Finished near bottom for multiple years as GC/GWS were coming in and had to rebuild completely through compromised drafts.

Recruiters have been following these guys for years, so even though there’s far less data on the prospects they should be able to put together a reasonable table of talent.

Interesting to see what kind of bargain's clubs will get in the later rounds, and what kinds of trades will eventuate. I think plenty of good but not great players will go for mid-range picks, and with the possibility of list reductions clubs will be actively looking to fling players for picks too.

Yep. There are going to be more dud first round draft picks in 2020 but in saying that there are going to be more gems in later rounds as well. A smart identifier if talent could make a killing in 2020.

Wow, thats completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. That you brought this up, presumably thinking you were making some kind of point, is utterly embarrassing for you. That chip on your shoulder has grown into a full blown inferiority complex.

Did I not link the post replied to:
Given half the draft pool every year is Victorian - everyone cares

Simply putting the facts in, not to your liking?

Did I not link the post replied to:

Simply putting the facts in, not to your liking?
Didn’t like it when I put the facts in?
56% of players are born in Victoria and 56% of all clubs are Victorian.
The number of Victorian clubs is irrelevant to the discussion though so not sure why you’re bringing that up.
As I said, number of Victorian clubs is irrelevant, that’s a discussion for another thread. Half of the draft pool will not have played any football in their draft year. That affects everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine being the OP and clearly thinking recruiters start watching guys for the first time in their draft year.

This is the reason sensationalist journalists keep a job - we just found another example of who reads their shite as fact.

Last edited:
56% of players are born in Victoria and 56% of all clubs are Victorian.
The number of Victorian clubs is irrelevant to the discussion though so not sure why you’re bringing that up.

Its about the player pool fed through the draft, & claim about Vic contribution which did not agree with my understanding.

I dont buy the very convenient claim the numbers align, particularly as you havent added a link to support this very specific claim related to place of birth not the draft reference to where kids pay footy.

So Harry, I didnt raise it, smarten up ;)

Nah, I read about the very early drafts and the lack of information teams had on players were amazing. I mean I think Essendon recruited Hird because the recruiter had been told from a friend of a friend that this kid was pretty good. That sort of thing was common in the early drafts.
He hird it through the grapevine?

Its about the player pool fed through the draft, & claim about Vic contribution which did not agree with my understanding.

I dont buy the very convenient claim the numbers align, particularly as you havent added a link to support this very specific claim related to place of birth not the draft reference to where kids pay footy.

So Harry, I didnt raise it, smarten up ;)
Percentage of Victorian clubs 10/18 = 55.6%

2019 Players by state of origin https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/827203/
Victorian: 468
Total: 833
Percentage of Victorian players: 468/833 = 56.2%

If you can find or collate data on where they played junior footy, be my guest. I highly doubt less than 50% played TAC Cup.

Imagine being the OP and clearly thinking recruiters start watching guys for the first time in their draft year.

This is the reason sensationalist journalists keep a job - we just found another example of who reads their sh*te as fact.

Imagine being Greenac and thinking there is some form of finality in the draft year of 18 year old kids.

Imagine being Greenac and thinking there is some form of finality in the draft year of 18 year old kids.

Recruiters are dealing with the situation as best they can like any other year. Some high picks will be a bust, some low picks will be great value, yknow just like every other year.

No footy being played in the juniors, no updated data on the kids.

Does this add further salt to the wounds of clubs that are bottoming out? Effectively pick 5-75 would be a blind dart shot.

Or are clubs confident about these kids cause they've followed them for years through academies, father sons, etc?
No a bad draft is one that lacks talent this one has plenty of talent it’s more a matter of working out we’re most of them sit in the pecking order due to no exsposed form this season. It’s probably a draft where plenty of good players will go in the teens and second round !

Percentage of Victorian clubs 10/18 = 55.6%

2019 Players by state of origin https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/827203/
Victorian: 468
Total: 833
Percentage of Victorian players: 468/833 = 56.2%

If you can find or collate data on where they played junior footy, be my guest. I highly doubt less than 50% played TAC Cup.

Numbers are usually published after the draft, havent looked.
I have not seen the data linked :thumbsu: (place of birth) hence my cynicism.

Doesnt seem to include the likes of Johanisen from South Africa or the African boys, but it makes your point.

Stupid idea, should just skip it. At the very least only make it one round, then have a double mega draft next year. A year of state league footy won’t kill them. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Oh ok, so clubs like the Crows shouldn’t be able to select our academy and FS players (who will all be 2nd or 3rd round picks), because Victorian kids aren’t playing? They’re all still playing state footy over in SA.

There are rarely very few changes to the top 10 during the actual draft year, except for maybe one or two bolters.

It’s not ideal of course, but 18 year olds are still playing in all states and territories outside of Vic. There will be as many stars and busts in this draft as there are any other season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back