Toast Is Tom Hawkins the Best All-Round Forward in the AFL Right Now?

Is Tom Hawkins the Best All-Round Forward in the AFL Right Now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

More power to you. Huge game that night, Geelong would have finished top 4 if we'd won. Kept up a cooda, wooda, shooda patern for Geelong away to the Eagles that continues to this day.

Nothing wrong with making a night of it after a win like that.

I was at that game and Hawkins knocking himself out was RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! The sound it made was horrible. Kind of like when you hear some kind of car crash in the distance. Not the screeching tyres and broken glass, just a dull thud that makes you think 'what the * was that?'.

IMO, Dixon's outstanding contested marking (more than double the amount of contested marks per game than Kennedy), along with leading nearly every other category in comparison, cancels out Kennedy (on average) getting an extra goal every second game.
That might be a valid argument if you were arguing for Dixon at CHF.

But at FF, Kennedy actually takes more marks I50 - why does it matter if they're contested or not? If he's finding space or marking on the lead, so be it. It's not how, it's how many. You don't get extra points for the marks being contested.

And Kennedy kicks more goals. That's the main metric for a FF.

It's cut and dried. At this stage anyway.

Eh, I feel it's a bit simplistic to look at AA selection that way, but each to their own.
Because the sacred duty of naming the AA side requires a far more nuanced approach.

the all australian in 2018 was a joke. It should of been hawkins instead who was better then riewoldt in almost every statistic. Hawkins and franklin were so far ahead of every other forward that year it wasnt funny.

and what tall support has hawkins had since he was a kid? pods for a year. he has had no support for 7 years. And lets face it we are only even comparing the two because hawkins stuffed his back in 2013 which impacted him greatly for 5 years.

Like that 2012 AA that Hawkins got ahead of JR, where Jack kicked more goals, more behinds, had more goal assists... and won the Coleman medal.

I'm aware of that, but I think the consistent combo I mentioned in so many consecutive years, likely to continue for at least one more season, is just as if not moreso impressive.
So even though Jack has kicked more goals and taken more marks he is not as impressive because he had 11 goal assists in our 2017 premiership year when he required 15 to make the grade? OK. Even though Jack plays higher up the ground as evidenced by comparing there I50 and R50 numbers.

There has not been a more dominant forward since Carey.

Without a doubt the most criminally underrated player of the last twenty years. He doesn't get as noticed because instead of kicking bags of ten, he is always looking to involve his teammates in the game.

Lloyd
Brown
Richardson
Pavlich
Franklin
N. Riewoldt
J. Riewoldt
Kennedy
Fevola

All better then Hawkins and all after Carey?
What are you smoking?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Eh, I feel it's a bit simplistic to look at AA selection that way, but each to their own.

It is primarily the job of a key forward to take marks and kick goals. At his peak Kennedy was kicking 3+ goals a game, was #1 in the comp for marks inside 50 and was in the top 10 for contested marks. No brainer for AA FF.

Secondary stats are great, but if he produces his 2015/16 numbers above again this year (pro rata obviously) then I couldn't really give a s**t how many forward half pressure score assist involvements he has so long as we keep winning games. If Kennedy, Dixon and Hawkins all kick 50 then there's an argument to omit Kennedy because of Dixon's contested marking and Hawkins' more rounded game around the ground. But people get a bit carried away with tie-breakers when they aren't the primary measure. Dixon led the comp in 2017 for contested marks by a forward and kicked 49 goals. Didn't even make the 40 man AA squad. Three key forwards kicking 60+ made the team.

It's funny that the question asked was 'Is Hawkins the best all around forward in the AFL right now' and it triggered a few Richmond fans to start sooking about J Reiwoldt for some reason. Richmond fans are like clockwork on BigFooty.

For the record Hawkins has a 71% win rate compared to Jacks 52% so he is clearly better at winning games of football. Colemans don't mean much when you're in the bottom 4
Yet in finals Jack goes at 64% win rate while Hawkins goes at 50% (not taking in to account the finals he misses which Geelong then lose). So Jack is clearly better at winning the games of football that matter. H&A wins don't mean much when you're not winning finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny that the question asked was 'Is Hawkins the best all around forward in the AFL right now' and it triggered a few Richmond fans to start sooking about J Reiwoldt for some reason. Richmond fans are like clockwork on BigFooty.

For the record Hawkins has a 71% win rate compared to Jacks 52% so he is clearly better at winning games of football. Colemans don't mean much when you're in the bottom 4

Tony Lockett had a winning percentage of 44% he must have been no good.

Btw forget Riewoldt! Richo is one

Tony Lockett had a winning percentage of 44% he must have been no good.

Btw forget Riewoldt! Richo is one

Well to be honest I was taking a stab at those who were saying Riewoldt is better than Hawkins this year because of Reiwoldt having played in previous years flags. Winning % doesn't mean much when talking about individual ability

Yet in finals Jack goes at 64% win rate while Hawkins goes at 50% (not taking in to account the finals he misses which Geelong then lose). So Jack is clearly better at winning the games of football that matter. H&A wins don't mean much when you're not winning finals.
Tom has won 11, Jack 7. All this is doing is proving my point that team success doesn't equal individual success for those quoting Jack playing in flags as a reason he is better than Hawkins this season.

Tom has won 11, Jack 7. All this is doing is proving my point that team success doesn't equal individual success for those quoting Jack playing in flags as a reason he is better than Hawkins this season.
Where was that said?

Regardless, both Jack and Tom have two flags.

Back