Unsolved Jack The Ripper

Remove this Banner Ad

Has it ever been explored that there may have been more than one ripper. Ie ,the original and a copy cat?

Well, given that the first two murders are not always accepted as the Rippers' work, only the canonical five that followed them, you could argue that the Ripper was the copycat. I don;t think there's much doubt that the five murders were perpetrated by the same man.

Yeah I've heard a couple of podcasts where they demolish her arguments pretty brutally.

Including the two most obvious ones? Where did Sickert get the surgical skill from? And whereas Jack was apparently de-evolving with each crime, how did Sickert manage to just stop killing and go about his other life as a painter?

Interesting. There's so many holes in the evidence trail (no real proof as to who owned the shawl, no record of when and how it was kept for over a century, etc) that you could never convict anyone on it.

Kozminsky has always been a prime suspect - probably THE prime suspect. So it's not a completely bats, left-field theory. But if I went to court and got convicted on the strength of that evidence, I'd be pretty upset.

But you gotta admit - Ol' Jack just keeps on delivering. He's the best serial killer mystery we've ever had.

Fascinating, but stay skeptical for now.

If Kosminki killed Eddowes he is almost certainly Jack the Ripper. She was one of the two victims killed in one night, which makes it very likely whoever killed her was responsible for the lot.

However. Two massive questions arise out of this- is it really her shawl and if it is, is the DNA testing really so conclusive?

I find it frankly amazingly, in fact probably more amazing than the actual DNA testing,that a piece of evidence as incredibly significant as blood stained clothing of a victim is surfacing now. I've read a number of ripperologist books previously and not one mentioned the existence of the shawl- forgetting the DNA testing- just the continued existence of the shawl is massive, improbable news which it pays to be very skeptical about.

Which leads us to the DNA test. I find myself asking which descendant, what kind of test, and how on earth do you detect semen after 110 years? Probably not impossible but on top of the gob smacking news of the shawl being found that is just beyond extraordinary.

Happy to watch with interest but if the guys who did this are legit they should be releasing their finding for peer review.

Watch this space.

Has it ever been explored that there may have been more than one ripper. Ie ,the original and a copy cat?
Most experts agree that it was the work of 2 seperate killers.
Most documentries "need" a new killer for obvious reasons.
Most experts{not media whores} then and now agree that a local working in one of the many killing factories of the area was probably responsible and death rates from homocide,alcohol,and other diseases in the scum area may have taken care of him.
Just another statistic really,1880 media scumbags have hijacked the case and thats why we talk about it today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most experts agree that it was the work of 2 seperate killers.
Most documentries "need" a new killer for obvious reasons.
Most experts{not media whores} then and now agree that a local working in one of the many killing factories of the area was probably responsible and death rates from homocide,alcohol,and other diseases in the scum area may have taken care of him.
Just another statistic really,1880 media scumbags have hijacked the case and thats why we talk about it today.
Not sure about the '2 killers' theory (or theories) being mostly accepted by experts. It's just another of the many ideas that have been raised. The fact is - we don't have a lot of info from the time, we are extremely unlikely to get any more real evidence (hence the excitement over this possible - but unlikely - shawl).
It just leaves the field wide open to speculation - and anybody with a desire for publicity (or a book or TV documentary to sell) can come up with some convincing ideas.

The 2 killers theory is as good as any other (except it's not quite as good a story as the mysterious 'lone nutter'). There's just as much actual evidence for one killer as two - ie, very, very little.

The one thing you can say for near-certain is that the killer (or killers) has probably got away with it.

Not sure about the '2 killers' theory (or theories) being mostly accepted by experts.

The 2 killers theory is as good as any other (except it's not quite as good a story as the mysterious 'lone nutter'). There's just as much actual evidence for one killer as two - ie, very, very little.

2 killer theory or 2 different cases is accepted by most crime experts,different modus operandi accepted then and now.
You are right,its not quite as good a story for media and doesnt propose enough "mystery" for the gullible to watch "new" JTR evidence shows on telly.
The mystery "jack" is more accepted by the public for this very reason.

Re this subject In DNA tests have shown the identity of Jack the Ripper
the news today ......... ??
A Polish man named Aaron Kosminski Haven't read the article yet Oh Whoops, just reading through the previous threads I am a bit of a late starter Sorry

DNA on a prostitute's belongings, not really that surprising. If it was a busy night for her there might be DNA evidence from 20 Jack the Rippers out there.

For mine it comes down to the writings and style of killings, very theological/methodical. Kosminski never jumped out as a real suspect because his insanity was more maniac, I'd imagine his crimes would have been less surgical.

DNA on a prostitute's belongings, not really that surprising. If it was a busy night for her there might be DNA evidence from 20 Jack the Rippers out there.

For mine it comes down to the writings and style of killings, very theological/methodical. Kosminski never jumped out as a real suspect because his insanity was more maniac, I'd imagine his crimes would have been less surgical.

Its the fact that he was a suspect, AND he has DNA evidence. Its not like he was a random citizen.

Its the fact that he was a suspect, AND he has DNA evidence. Its not like he was a random citizen.

He was a low life and local resident. I'd have no doubt some of the other suspects used the prostitutes at various times. It's interesting but certainly not definitive.

Anyone see the doco on SBS last night, Missing evidence: Jack the Ripper, it named Charles Allen Lechmere (or Cross) as the prime suspect.

He discovered Mary Ann Nichols body in Bucks Row and was happened upon by Robert Paul. A reconstruction of the timings of the various witness statements showed that Lechmere had 8 or 9 minutes unaccounted for, enough time to kill Nichols. He claimed he had discovered the body only moments before Paul arrived.

He stopped Paul in the street and after the 2 men looked briefly at the body they left the scene together. They then met a policeman, PC Mizen, to whom Lechmere gave a false name, that of his stepfather i.e. Cross. He also lied about leaving another policeman with the body. This was not realised at the time as PC Mizen found PC Neil, who came across the body independently, at the scene.

Lechmere lived on the eastern side of the Whitechapel district and transited through the area in the early hours of the morning to work at the Broad St yards as a carman (meat deliveryman). He knew the area intimately having lived there all his life.

I hadn't heard him named as a suspect before but he was on the scene of one of the crimes and certainly had opportunity. It's astounding he wasn't a prime suspect at the time.

More info here:
https://quadrant.org.au/opinion/michael-connor/2010/04/jack-the-ripper-the-prime-suspect/

Anyone see the doco on SBS last night, Missing evidence: Jack the Ripper, it named Charles Allen Lechmere (or Cross) as the prime suspect.

He discovered Mary Ann Nichols body in Bucks Row and was happened upon by Robert Paul. A reconstruction of the timings of the various witness statements showed that Lechmere had 8 or 9 minutes unaccounted for, enough time to kill Nichols. He claimed he had discovered the body only moments before Paul arrived.

He stopped Paul in the street and after the 2 men looked briefly at the body they left the scene together. They then met a policeman, PC Mizen, to whom Lechmere gave a false name, that of his stepfather i.e. Cross. He also lied about leaving another policeman with the body. This was not realised at the time as PC Mizen found PC Neil, who came across the body independently, at the scene.

Lechmere lived on the eastern side of the Whitechapel district and transited through the area in the early hours of the morning to work at the Broad St yards as a carman (meat deliveryman). He knew the area intimately having lived there all his life.

I hadn't heard him named as a suspect before but he was on the scene of one of the crimes and certainly had opportunity. It's astounding he wasn't a prime suspect at the time.

More info here:
https://quadrant.org.au/opinion/michael-connor/2010/04/jack-the-ripper-the-prime-suspect/
Probably one of the better doco's on this over surplussed case.

More info here:
I did see this and was fascinated by it.
The majority of the murders happened on his work route or the route to his mothers house.
Interesting to find out that they said he lived until the 1920's and ended up a relatively wealthy man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back