News Jackson Hately requests trade to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Was about to post these stats

Looks like when given actual opportunity, he's able to carve it up. Fingers crossed Nicks and NVB recognise this and play him big midfield minutes
This was Jarryd Lyons story too, as he's proven at Brisbane he was always a great inside mid we just didn't like playing him there.

Drafts you are required to match the contract structure. Whereas RFA matching is total and years structured at your leisure.
Yes, but he's not an RFA though I thought? So even negotiations between Carlton and Essendon break down, if we decided to try and hijack any deal by taking him #1 in PSD, we have to pay him whatever he wants in whatever structure he likes, which isn't ideal.

I just don't see this happening unless he's so desperate to leave Essendon he will go anywhere - and I don't think that's the case with Saad. For mine, this isn't a tactic, and we should keep our draft picks and use the PSD on Hately.

If you look at the last few PSDs, there have been hardly any players selected and they were along the lines of Martin last year anyway. The PSD is only relevant to the club who finishes last and can claim an OOC player for free of the list of another club, that's really it.

I can't even see the PSD existing next year with reduced list sizes so we might as well use it to our advantage now. To me, the whole 'dog act' argument is something supporters invent to sleep better at night. GWS took Phil Davis from us with concessions that we had signed off on, and this is the same, it's just our turn now. If Himmelberg wanted to go and play there with his brother and they had #1 in the PSD, you had better believe we would not get anything better than a third round pick upgrade next year in return.

Nah try Parfitt, really piss off the Kittens. Make up for paying Jenkins.
I am not sure that Adelaide can blame the cats for having to pay some of Jerker's salary. We are the ones who wanted him out of the club (which added some salary cap back in). They are the ones who took him off our hands. Win - Win (insofar as the Cats needed a back up forward/ruck who didn't play a game, and Adelaide are OK with the mysterious "unnamed sources" being quoted about the Camp).

If the Giants' argument is that a 1st round midfielder whose played a handful of games, out of position and not set the world on fire is still worth the same as their original pick then they can have McHenry - straight swap!
Who gives a heck what they argue, it means nothing as they have no credible threat they can act on

Hately is out of contract and we have pick 1 PSD

GWS accept our trade terms or he walks free via PSD

Lets not over think or engineer this trade, Its that ******* simple

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

pick #1 in the PSD, ... we do the right thing for our supporters and members and use maximise this pick by using it to get Hately for free
I don't think anyone is suggesting we use Pick 1 in the Main Draft to trade for Hately, but have you thought about what happens if they call our bluff on the PSD? Is Hateley worth using #1 in the PSD (probably yes as we may or may not use it anyway)?
Is using this method worth the bad blood and reputation issues that it will generate with GWS, the broader AFL community and the AFL Media (which hates us already)? I would suggest not, and Adelaide should trade in good faith (somewhere around the Bulldogs Pick should do it).

Drafts you are required to match the contract structure. Whereas RFA matching is total and years structured at your leisure.
I thought that too but from 2019 rules:

17.5 Movement of Restricted Free Agents
(d) The Restricted Free Agent’s Current Club has the right to match the proposed
contract, arrangement, agreement or understanding in respect of the Restricted
Free Agent on identical terms to the Offer in relation to each of:
(i) contract length;
(ii) base payments;
(iii) total match payment rates;
(iv) total Additional Services agreement payments; and
(v) total performance incentives based on AFL awards or honours, Club best
and fairest finish and matches played, but excluding Finals.
For the avoidance of doubt, incentive payments for team performance are not
required to be matched by the Current Club.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we use Pick 1 in the Main Draft to trade for Hately, but have you thought about what happens if they call our bluff on the PSD? Is Hateley worth using #1 in the PSD (probably yes as we may or may not use it anyway)?
Is using this method worth the bad blood and reputation issues that it will generate with GWS, the broader AFL community and the AFL Media (which hates us already)? I would suggest not, and Adelaide should trade in good faith (somewhere around the Bulldogs Pick should do it).
Honestly who gives a s**t about bad blood or reputation, the mechanism is available and their to use to our advantage if needed

On one hard people want us to be a more aggressive footy club, but then argue against using a mechanism that allow us to be more aggressive

This notion about bad blood or reputation is completely BS

Footy clubs will always be self serving and agenga driven, personnel alao change on a periodic basis, todays events is tomorrow's news

Believe me if a club had an opportunity to get one of our young guns through the PSD without paying full value in a trade they will do it in a heartbeat

Lets be more fearless as a club

You don't rate him? I think you will be surprised at how well he can play inside, and hit the scoreboard at the level.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Keays was unable to win a spot in his best position and has been a value pick-up

Wheras Gibbs was an automatic selection at his previous club and provided little to no value

I dont think its that bkack or white

Hately is only 19, trying to push past other 1st round and more experienced players like Hopper, Taranto and Congilo. He was never going to walk into the team as an inside mid.

Hately is a high talent kid and we should get him for value, no complaints from me but alao understanding he has work to do to establish himself in the team and as an AFL player

That’s not what I asked doofus

Honestly who gives a sh*t about bad blood or reputation, the mechanism is available and their to use to our advantage if needed

On one hard people want us to be a more aggressive footy club, but then argue against using a mechanism that allow us to be more aggressive

Footy clubs will always be self serving and agenga driven, personnel alao change on a periodic basis, todays events is tomorrow's news

Believe me if a club had an opportunity to get one of our young guns through the PSD without paying full value in a trade they will do it in a heartbeat

Thats all good in theory, it just rarely works that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS have 4 mids that would be our number 1. Plus they have several kids in the wings taken higher than Hately. He is second year player and still got some games and experience. He is a massive upgrade on Jones and McHenry so a win there straight away

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

rubbish

and still not an answer to my point

Honestly who gives a sh*t about bad blood or reputation, the mechanism is available and their to use to our advantage if needed

we'll offer our late second rounder. if they argue then we take him for nothing in the PSD.

How charitable Adelaide is when it comes to trading should be based on who they're trading with. If a side has generally been fair with us, we should trade in good faith. If we're dealing with campaigners like Essendon or the Bulldogs, we should bend them over and go in dry.
And GWS have always been fair to deal with...

Who gives a fu** what they argue, it means nothing as they have no credible threat they can act on

And our term will likely be an end of second rounder (if that's Atkins FA compensation) otherwise it will be WB's 2nd rounder.

And how obvious has it been Jerka was the biggest leak ever to come from our club.
I am not sure that Adelaide can blame the cats for having to pay some of Jerker's salary. We are the ones who wanted him out of the club (which added some salary cap back in). They are the ones who took him off our hands. Win - Win (insofar as the Cats needed a back up forward/ruck who didn't play a game, and Adelaide are OK with the mysterious "unnamed sources" being quoted about the Camp).

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app

heck em, burn it to the ground

Ease up. GWS will come to the table. They'll get slightly less than they want, but not so bad of a deal as to create a circus.
They'll want to get some guys in, they'll get this easy one out of the way

Who gives a fu** what they argue, it means nothing as they have no credible threat they can act on

fu** em, burn it to the ground
Seems to me some clubs have good relationships at the trade table and that can work in your favour during the draft. Why shaft GWS for example when the clubs traded draft picks last year for example.

I really don't get the slash and burn attitude over the Hately trade. Just negotiate a trade that's reasonably fair and move on.

And there are some clubs that are notorious for being difficult. Who wants to trade with them, whether it be players or live draft picks. Wouldn't you just pick up the phone and get in contact with clubs you know you can get a reasonable deal done with?

Ease up. GWS will come to the table. They'll get slightly less than they want, but not so bad of a deal as to create a circus.
I’m just mucking around but we need to be strong and pay unders as we’ll likely not have this leverage again for 20 years. We need that midfield renewed with quality and we should not use any of our higher picks while we have this leverage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back