Oppo Camp James Aish, (Traded to Freo 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

The resurgence of Collingwood is dependent on players like Aish and Scharenberg improving. Aishy showed a bit before he went down sign him up for 2 more years at least!

Idk where these reports of a tight cap and players salaries come from. Do clubs actually release contract details? I thought only club insiders and the player itself would know that info.
Who is 'The Great Swan?'

Dangerfield and selwood are only on about $700k each. They are AA superstars...one a brownlow medalist. One a captian
Dangerfield was reported to be $800k, and that’s before the cap increase, which most players had factored in to their contracts. You’re underestimating how much players get paid these days.

He’s not a very good player yet. If we want to bring a player in it’s probably the type of deals you’re going to have to do. If he leaves so be it.

The 5 and a half games he played this year suggests that your first sentence is not accurate.

So we spend two 2nd rounders to bring a pick no 7 to the club. We invest 3 years into him, pump games into him for little reward, get him over the 50 game mark when most players start to play good consistent footy. In the 6 games he plays this year he is in career best form. Winning plenty of the footy, using it beautifully, playing with intensity. But after all this investment, just when he is showing every sign of finally playing like a top 10 pick, you are happy to let him walk and let some other club reap our investment...

Really?

Maybe one year deal, with triggers for a second year. And if someone else offers him more, so be it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan and would love to keep him, but got to be realistic too that injuries have hurt a lot, and at what point does expectation get overtaken by reality?

The 5 and a half games he played this year suggests that your first sentence is not accurate.

So we spend two 2nd rounders to bring a pick no 7 to the club. We invest 3 years into him, pump games into him for little reward, get him over the 50 game mark when most players start to play good consistent footy. In the 6 games he plays this year he is in career best form. Winning plenty of the footy, using it beautifully, playing with intensity. But after all this investment, just when he is showing every sign of finally playing like a top 10 pick, you are happy to let him walk and let some other club reap our investment...

Really?
Aish a very good player is not correct. He was showing that he can be a solid footballer before unfortunately getting injured which has been the story of his whole career. It’s going to get to a point where the question is going to be asked, is he ever going to get to a level of top player?

He probably gets two years if we don’t attract a big name player, and I’m ok with that too. But I think from his output to date, 1 is fair enough also. Maybe he likes the pressure, it’s the way it started this year.

You may think teams will reap the benefit, but I don’t see it. He would be on his third club by then, with a history of injuries. Clubs would be wary.

I reckon we've really missed Aish. I mean when you're stuck playing Mayne on a wing that's self evident. If we don't expect Aish back for 9 weeks that is a big blow. Is that longer than a typical non-surgical recovery period for that injury? Because it's a lot longer than initially predicted. We need another solution to his wing position it seems.
I 100% agree with this.

I was pleasantly surprised by Aish's form this year, particularly with his two way running and contest at the ball.

When he went down, it was unfortunate, but with Mayne in the side, it's made me value Aish more.

This isn't a bash Mayne post btw, I thought he did a decent job on the weekend, but Aish is just much more penetrating and damaging with his disposal than Mayne is. The difference between a 20 disposal game by Mayne, and a 20 disposal game by Aish is stark.

Although Aish has had some injuries worries I do not think it is correct that he is injury prone what to happened to him happens all the time to players I am pleased he was back and playing good football.
I think Hocking has had a really positive influence on him and before he got injured I would have been happy to give him a 2 or 3 yr deal and I still would.Although Mayne has turned it around and massive credit to him for that Aish offers much more upside.
I don,t think Aish will leave as he like most of our players atm seem very happy at the club,big turnarounds like we saw against the Dogs do not happen with unhappy player,s usually it ends with a big defeat.

Maybe one year deal, with triggers for a second year. And if someone else offers him more, so be it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan and would love to keep him, but got to be realistic too that injuries have hurt a lot, and at what point does expectation get overtaken by reality?

Has Aish actually had significant and concerning injury issues? Did a hammy R23 in 2016, missed a couple with a broken cheekbone and 1 with concussion in 2017. His major injury issues have been impact injuries to a cheek, a concussion, and now a knee. His issue has been form and consistency. I'm not sure why we wouldn't be looking at a minimum 2 year extension unless we've already decided to part ways, and I can't see the justification for that other than bad hair.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/117631/James-AISH

Last edited:
Has Aish actually had significant and concerning injury issues? Did a hammy R23 in 2016, missed a couple with a broken cheekbone and 1 with concussion in 2017. His major injury issues have been impact injuries to a cheek, a concussion, and now a knee. His issue has been form and consistency. I'm not sure why we wouldn't be looking at a minimum 2 year extension unless we've already decided to part ways, and I can't see the justification for that other than bad hair.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/117631/James-AISH
That's a very fair assessment, I recall one of those impact injuries was him putting his head in a hole a lot of other players wouldn't have dared.

He's start to the year was very impressive and as I said I'd love to keep him, I guess I was coming from the perspective of the contract squeeze it appears may be looming on the horizon, and trying to balance the books for the next 1, 3, 5 years.

Fair call on the hair too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a very fair assessment, I recall one of those impact injuries was him putting his head in a hole a lot of other players wouldn't have dared.

He's start to the year was very impressive and as I said I'd love to keep him, I guess I was coming from the perspective of the contract squeeze it appears may be looming on the horizon, and trying to balance the books for the next 1, 3, 5 years.

Fair call on the hair too

I understand that but we're also trying to build a finals side and given Aish's form earlier in the season it's not hard to imagine he's the type we need to retain with that goal in mind.

I reckon we've really missed Aish. I mean when you're stuck playing Mayne on a wing that's self evident. If we don't expect Aish back for 9 weeks that is a big blow. Is that longer than a typical non-surgical recovery period for that injury? Because it's a lot longer than initially predicted. We need another solution to his wing position it seems.

Heard Nothing Offical from Club about Aish yet

Said same about Schaz with his 2 ACL's

And his foot issues as well. Aishy not as far back as Shaz was

If Aish is a contract domino we can knock over quickly, let's get it done then. If his, and others, drag on the size of the pie is only getting smaller!

I would think his Contract would not be too hard to work out

Not surprising. We have a lot of players out of contract and Aish wouldn't be at the top of the list of priorities.

I was talking more about his Injury then his Contract.

I say they be waiting to see IF comes back this Season or Not

Aish, penetrating and damaging all in the same sentence!

Well, we also had Mayne, penetrating and damaging in the same sentence there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back