Oppo Camp James Aish, (Traded to Freo 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

He had a steady finals series, make-shifting as a defender. I think he beat his opponents in the finals series, and held up. But Aish is a lot more talented than what he is providing, and hindsight says we probably should have dropped him for Reid for the GF.

Realistically, he needs to break into the midfield
He’s never going to break in there imo. Not big enough, doesn’t win enough contested ball and doesn’t have the tank of a mid. He’s destined to be on the flanks. Doesn’t mean he can’t get back to early year form though.

He’s never going to break in there imo. Not big enough, doesn’t win enough contested ball and doesn’t have the tank of a mid. He’s destined to be on the flanks. Doesn’t mean he can’t get back to early year form though.

Nah, start of this season he was doing all the things you’ve mentioned. He just never got back to it after the injury. My question is more on his mental toughness — he needs a bit of Adams in him.

Nah, start of this season he was doing all the things you’ve mentioned. He just never got back to it after the injury. My question is more on his mental toughness — he needs a bit of Adams in him.
He was where he needed to be at the start of the year, after a tough year last year. I don’t think he was ever breaking into the pure mid side of things though.

Mental toughness might be getting there slowly but what you are asking for with what Adams has, will never happen. You can’t teach what Adams has unfortunately.

He was where he needed to be at the start of the year, after a tough year last year. I don’t think he was ever breaking into the pure mid side of things though.

Mental toughness might be getting there slowly but what you are asking for with what Adams has, will never happen. You can’t teach what Adams has unfortunately.

Agree you can’t teach what Adams has. But Aish is a winger. He’s a good mark. But he just seems to have slipped back into being overawed again this finals series. At the start of the year he was hard at it, getting plenty of it, tackling, and so on while playing wing. Half back isn’t his position though.

Agree you can’t teach what Adams has. But Aish is a winger. He’s a good mark. But he just seems to have slipped back into being overawed again this finals series. At the start of the year he was hard at it, getting plenty of it, tackling, and so on while playing wing. Half back isn’t his position though.
When he did come back in, I don’t think we had a choice but to play him in the backline. We were a small defender down so it was the only spot he could take. We needed the run on the wings from Phillips/Mayne and Aish probably lost that with all the games he missed.

Hopefully comes back for that wing spot next year because it probably is his best spot, but he still has a lot to improve on.

One big benefit of having him play on the wing would be that it dramatically reduces the chances of having to deal with his panic scrub kicks out of the back 50.

Playing him in the VFL would also do the same thing, just more effectively.

Get real Dave
I clearly said in my post I like him but he had a s**t game.
You do know dave just because you like a player it doesn't mean people can't analyse their performance.
THEN I MIGHT AS WELL NOT EVEN BOTHER POSTING ABOUT GAMES AND PLAYERS IF NO ONE GOING TO TAKE ME SERIOUSLY

He had a steady finals series, make-shifting as a defender. I think he beat his opponents in the finals series, and held up. But Aish is a lot more talented than what he is providing, and hindsight says we probably should have dropped him for Reid for the GF.

Realistically, he needs to break into the midfield

Hopefully with Pendles looking like he could be in the Twighlight of his Career there is a Spot There. He was playing Midfield Pre-PCL

THEN I MIGHT AS WELL NOT EVEN BOTHER POSTING ABOUT GAMES AND PLAYERS IF NO ONE GOING TO TAKE ME SERIOUSLY
Maybe stop abusing posters and yelling at them would be a good start.
We are allowed to have our opinion about Aish without having to listen to your sarcastic comments.
And we don't need you putting words in our mouth.

Having paid 2 x 2nd rd picks for him we have paid massive overs.... especially when you compare how Varcoe, Howe, WHE cost us less.

See him as a better Josh Smith... a role player who can fill a hole but when we have a full squad Aish has little claim to best 22.

Would trade him if it helps us get a bigger fish, otherwise he needs to take a leaf out of Maynes book and come back over the preseason in triathlete shape... make endurance and two way running his point of difference

Having paid 2 x 2nd rd picks for him we have paid massive overs.... especially when you compare how Varcoe, Howe, WHE cost us less.

See him as a better Josh Smith... a role player who can fill a hole but when we have a full squad Aish has little claim to best 22.

Would trade him if it helps us get a bigger fish, otherwise he needs to take a leaf out of Maynes book and come back over the preseason in triathlete shape... make endurance and two way running his point of difference

Aish did that last pre-season and Started very well(Some People seem to Forget a Bit) and the PCL Injury really stuffed his Season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has talent.

Will get another pre-season.
Can put his injury issues behind him.

But he's yet to cement a best 22 spot, that will be his challenge.

Already surpassed by Sier, Phillips, Crisp, Maynard, Stephenson, those types.

Mayne though older has a spot before Aish.

His challengers will be Murphy (my tip for he big riser next season) and maybe Brown x 2, Daicos, Broomhead.

Will need to knuckle down and destroy preseason and earn his spot.

Has talent.

Aish did that last pre-season and Started very well(Some People seem to Forget a Bit) and the PCL Injury really stuffed his Season

Yeah was definitely better earlier in the year. But at near 23 and after 3 years at Collingwood.... Aish still doesn't own a spot in our best 22 still, and will come under pressure from C Brown, Daicos, Quaynor and potentially others to get a game in midfield or defence in 2019.

Before his PCL he was really smashing it on the wing, that GWS game he had was outstanding, he had found new confidence. Coming back from PCL he was played across Half Back. He shut players down but he lost his offensive side.

Again, some posters are being ridiculous on here.

Showed early this year he's more than able to make a wing his own. Just couldn't get back there when he returned from the PCL.

Yeah was definitely better earlier in the year. But at near 23 and after 3 years at Collingwood.... Aish still doesn't own a spot in our best 22 still, and will come under pressure from C Brown, Daicos, Quaynor and potentially others to get a game in midfield or defence in 2019.
They will challenge.

But I'm thinking Nathan Murphy will be the big threat. He's getting ready to own it.

Wing is fine for Aish but people have talked about him replacing pendles in the middle one day. I can’t see that happening for said reasons above.
Agree he's not taking the Pendlebury position.

That role will fall to the likes of De Goey, Treloar, Sier, Stephenson, with Adams, Sidebottom.
Then there's Murphy, Maynard, Crisp.
Be more wing, flank for Aish.

Has talent.

Will get another pre-season.
Can put his injury issues behind him.

But he's yet to cement a best 22 spot, that will be his challenge.

Already surpassed by Sier, Phillips, Crisp, Maynard, Stephenson, those types.

Mayne though older has a spot before Aish.

His challengers will be Murphy (my tip for he big riser next season) and maybe Brown x 2, Daicos, Broomhead.

Will need to knuckle down and destroy preseason and earn his spot.

Has talent.

I don't think any of those players ranked outside the top 10-15 at the club should be approaching preseason comfortable they've got a senior berth. Come 2019, their 2018 season will count for little and as we've seen with Stephenson, once you get that R1 opportunity you can become very hard to displace if you continue to perform.

What does he bring to the club besides a hot girlfriend?

Doesn't have the endurance or will to run like a Sidebottom or Phillips, isn't a great mark like Langdon or Howe, can't defend one on one and rebound like a Maynard or Crisp and hardly has the foot skills to warrant a wing position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back