MRP / Trib. James Sicily - 3 weeks for dangerous tackle - SUSPENSION STANDS!

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL should be made to prove the following to upheld this suspended: it was Sicilys intent to bring clug to ground AND he had a reasonable opportunity to release the arm AND the outside interference did not contribute to the outcome AND Sicily didn't attempt to issue a duty of care rolling Clug ontop of himself.

Hahaha, it sounds so funny when you reverse it. Highlights how out of hand this is getting

Why one week, did Sicily do something wrong? Zero weeks or nothing.
if they transparently claim "we are penalising any football action which causes a concussion - and given that a concussed player is missing 10 days mandatory, we feel it is only fair that the cause of the concussion misses the same (noting that this will apply to those who actively duck into tackles will be seen as causes of their own concussion) AND then add any football law penalty as per MRP - maybe.

21 tackles this year that have gone to the tribunal and resulted in suspension. Only Nathan Broad with 4 weeks has been judged as more severe. Sic got 3 weeks and none of the others got more than 2 weeks. Staggering.

There is an AFL agenda here and the tribunal is on board. No matter the tackle circumstances the concussion outcome overrides everything. The tribunal appears to have made up their mind of Sicily's guilt prior to the hearing. They paid lip service to Sicily's compelling defense before going through the pretense of deliberation. I think this is the first time a "dangerous" tackle suspension has been challenged at the Appeals Board this season. A lot at stake here, not just for Hawthorn and Sicily, but for all the clubs.

There is an AFL agenda here and the tribunal is on board. No matter the tackle circumstances the concussion outcome overrides everything. The tribunal appears to have made up their mind of Sicily's guilt prior to the hearing. They paid lip service to Sicily's compelling defense before going through the pretense of deliberation. I think this is the first time a "dangerous" tackle suspension has been challenged at the Appeals Board this season. A lot at stake here, not just for Hawthorn and Sicily, but for all the clubs.
Agreed I think the result on Monday will be inevitable but once again the HFC has shined the spotlight back on the AFL. Everyone knows the penalty is bull$hit and there's no doubt whatsoever that another player (hopefully a golden boy) will do the same type of tackle or worse.

Its's a pity we aren't in contention to take it further and above the tribunal. Would love to see the end result of that ruling.

Agreed I think the result on Monday will be inevitable but once again the HFC has shined the spotlight back on the AFL. Everyone knows the penalty is bull$hit and there's no doubt whatsoever that another player (hopefully a golden boy) will do the same type of tackle or worse.

Its's a pity we aren't in contention to take it further and above the tribunal. Would love to see the end result of that ruling.
Who says we don't take it further?
Legally, the club can get an injunction on the suspension

The positive thing is that it's getting attention. Bartel and Eddie thinks he shouldn't cop any weeks. I fully expect the AFL to continue to treat fans and players with contempt and uphold the ban though. Siciliy will be hung out to dry and they'll start going easier on future incidents.

Who says we don't take it further?
Legally, the club can get an injunction on the suspension
Pretty sure this screenshot shows the bias towards the HFC. I've added Kozzy Pickett in there who I assume was left off because it was a dangerous play rather than a tackle?? I also added in an 's' for the LOLs

Answering your question no at this stage I don't think the club would take it further if Sic loses at the tribunal on Monday. I think the club full well knows there's a bias towards the HFC and is just going through the motions of the tribunal because of the pressure from the public and other clubs to do so. No one outside of the biggest Sicily hater thinks he should be suspended for the 'football action' he committed but yeah think the club already knows the outcome for Monday. I guess the pressure of taking it further could be an option too but at some stage it will feel like we're just bashing our head against the wall.

I'm glad we challenged and if anything it has at least confirmed the anti-Hawthorn bias from the AFL that not even the biggest skeptics here can no longer deny.

HFC.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The positive thing is that it's getting attention. Bartel and Eddie thinks he shouldn't cop any weeks. I fully expect the AFL to continue to treat fans and players with contempt and uphold the ban though. Siciliy will be hung out to dry and they'll start going easier on future incidents.

This video should be Hawthorn's defense Exhibit A for next Monday.

Exactly right... AFL are leaderless chooks.

Gil should go now. Get a decent Footy boss in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back