Strategy Jason Horne-Francis: North trade him to Port for massive unders

Easy, it’s pronounced

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve heard he will ask for a trade to Port Adelaide at the end of his first contract as his step dad is Fabian Francis.

Doesn’t matter who drafts him. He wants to play for Port Adelaide.
LOL

I heard he's tossing up who he will ask for a trade to the Demons or the Lions cos his step dad Fabian Francis played for them.

Jason wasn't even born when his step dad played for the Powa and he most certainly wasn't a twinkle in Fabian's eye either.

There is a lot of assumption that Horne is going at pick 1 in this thread. I was under the impression that the end of last year he was in a cluster of 4 top guys (Horne, Sinn, Sonsie and Rachele).

Has that changed at some point?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

/thread

its over, North have him with pick 1 or 2 as they are well in the ballpark for another shitty PP farce
There is a lot of assumption that Horne is going at pick 1 in this thread. I was under the impression that the end of last year he was in a cluster of 4 top guys (Horne, Sinn, Sonsie and Rachele).
Yep, end thread. Doubt they would get a tier 1 PP (ie pick 2) but unless we were looking to finish immediately above them, we have no chance of picking Horne even if North go for someone else, someone will snap him up before us. By the way we're going, I don't reckon we'll finish with a top 3 pick.

We should be able to argue against a pp for them.
We were worse than them last year
There are basically 2 groups of clubs - the expansion teams (GC, GWS, Syd & maybe Bris) and the rest. The FL will give the first group pick 1 or better PPs if the clubs need it but for the rest, it will be end of first round PPs or mature players as they did for the bLoos and Bris(?) a couple of years ago.

Also if the FL want North to consider relocating, they might deny them PPs to "encourage" them.

At this point after 2 games in the NAB League IMO It would be 1. Horne 2. Daicos and 3. Sonsie then a bit of a gap back to the likes of Sinn, Chesser, Rachele and several others but it's very early days.

At this point after 2 games in the NAB League IMO It would be 1. Horne 2. Daicos and 3. Sonsie then a bit of a gap back to the likes of Sinn, Chesser, Rachele and several others but it's very early days.
Mutineer, if we end up finishing outside the 8 in say 12-13th position, your boy Chesser might be right in our hitting zone

/thread

its over, North have him with pick 1 or 2 as they are well in the ballpark for another shitty PP farce

I think PPs are bullshit but given what was given to Gold Coast, I think my club should make a case. We had tried to mitigate the extent of the list damage by trying to get in some quality mature players via free agency but it shows the failure of the free agency system as it is more a tool to prop up teams in the top 8. There are far too many interfering factors when it comes to the draft as the mechanism to even out the competition.

I think PPs are bullshit but given what was given to Gold Coast, I think my club should make a case. We had tried to mitigate the extent of the list damage by trying to get in some quality mature players via free agency but it shows the failure of the free agency system as it is more a tool to prop up teams in the top 8. There are far too many interfering factors when it comes to the draft as the mechanism to even out the competition.
The argument that I think our club would make against a PP being granted is that we were 0-13 last year and then began to turn it around. Also, North traded out their full forward Ben Brown who was one of the leagues best forwards - and ironically under the new rules, might have benefited. If the league did look at a pick, I would hope it was an end of 1st round only

In Order to Horne, the Crows at this time will need to trade in order to get a lower pick.

And one could almost grantee Port are Planning on trading a few Players out to position themselves in the 2021 draft.

In Order to Horne, the Crows at this time will need to trade in order to get a lower pick.

And one could almost grantee Port are Planning on trading a few Players out to position themselves in the 2021 draft.
For what its worth I suspect the AFL draft is primed and ready for some team to completely change the game and trade up to pick 1. They will have to essentially reset the market to do it IMO. It would take something WAAAAY overs to wrench it free, like 3 x 1st rounders depending on how far they jump.

I'm not saying it should be us, but i'm also not not saying that!

The argument that I think our club would make against a PP being granted is that we were 0-13 last year and then began to turn it around. Also, North traded out their full forward Ben Brown who was one of the leagues best forwards - and ironically under the new rules, might have benefited. If the league did look at a pick, I would hope it was an end of 1st round only

Brown has a degenerative knee problem and he has played zero games for Melbourne so far, he only recently had surgery on it so it wouldn't have helped much if he was still on our list atm. He is going to come back and play but he is going to miss a lot of footy and we had a lot of concerns about his longevity. We weren't prepared to give him a long-term contract and he flat out refused to go with a short-term contract.

I don't think anyone we let go would have provided any longer term benefit for the club; that includes Brown, Higgins and everyone else who was delisted. I think those list turnovers have been exacerbated by injuries, but that was the same issue Gold Coast had.

I don't think we need priority pick access, but I don't think Gold Coast needed them either, and they are still allowed to run a list significantly larger than everyone else, their academy access is also ludicrous, they didn't even have to bid on their academy picks. They are well ahead of us in terms of rebuild and there is no way we can bridge that gap between what they are getting unless we game the system. There should be one set of rules for everyone.

What I’m more worried about is the potential for Essendon to get a band 1 comp pick if Zach Merrett leaves.

In all of our last 3 drafts our top 10 pick has been pushed back due to priority or compensation picks or players being nga/academy tied and it’s really starting to peeve me. It’s already hard to rebuild. The top 10 should not be so compromised

Was also hoping the Suns would be playing better so the AFL would be forced to remove the ridiculous concessions they still have, but that seems unlikely

Brown has a degenerative knee problem and he has played zero games for Melbourne so far, he only recently had surgery on it so it wouldn't have helped much if he was still on our list atm. He is going to come back and play but he is going to miss a lot of footy and we had a lot of concerns about his longevity. We weren't prepared to give him a long-term contract and he flat out refused to go with a short-term contract.

I don't think anyone we let go would have provided any longer term benefit for the club; that includes Brown, Higgins and everyone else who was delisted. I think those list turnovers have been exacerbated by injuries, but that was the same issue Gold Coast had.

I don't think we need priority pick access, but I don't think Gold Coast needed them either, and they are still allowed to run a list significantly larger than everyone else, their academy access is also ludicrous, they didn't even have to bid on their academy picks. They are well ahead of us in terms of rebuild and there is no way we can bridge that gap between what they are getting unless we game the system. There should be one set of rules for everyone.
Fair points

As for it wrong that GC got that PP, I could not agree more as it was not picks they needed but extra cap to retain players..it also essentially cost us Noah Anderson as Melbourne a long way out had Luke Jackson as a lock for their pick. Noah freaking Anderson should be playing with us

Back