News Jimmy Bartel retirement - how was it handled?

Remove this Banner Ad

I see the HS ace beat-up merchant Robbo is at it again. Pretty much based on the comments of Moons who hasn't been a part of the club for yonks.:thumbsdown:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/761062dde7a0996776b472045cae6d3b
The Cats lost the 2010 prelim to Collingwood by 81 points and lost the best player in the game a few weeks later, when Gaz hightailed it north.
81 points? Could have sworn it was 41 points.

A 72 PER CENT win-loss record in six seasons, which is highest in the 110-year history of the AFL for any coach with over 100 games.

THIS with only seven players left from the 2011 Grand Final team and half the list turned over in the past two year.

A 34-14 WIN–LOSS record against other premiership coaches, including 10-5 over Al Clarkson and 3-0 over Luke Beveridge.

MOST importantly, he has had side contending except for one season during a rebuild, which is a terribly difficult environment, and which has some at Geelong believing they had overachieved, especially last year.

How many finals wins since 2011?

The reality is that we've bern too good to the champs and unfortunately when you are people bite you back. What we should have bern is to shop these guys around and take the deals. Personally I would hate that but at least we'd have these guys feeling more respect. Its human nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's certainly a glass half full view Vdubs.

I'd have preferred he deflected and took any criticism for that.
I'll preface this with "I'm a HUGE Jimmy fan". BUT. His wife is (from direct source of people who know and deal with her) a self absorbed attention loving coat. (If you dont know what a coat is, it's an acronym that includes the word campaigner) any decision to go public from jimmy about being treated poorly, even in responses to CS's comments - comes from that influence. Scott was asked a question. All he did was admit fault and suggest the WHOLE thing could have been handled better from both sides. Bartel comes in saying
"I never commented on it publicly" And he's right - he didn't. But he was liberal in who he chatted to "off the record" about the fact he had a contract and he was being forced out. And Nadia was even more liberal. Reality is Scott could have played him in the VFL and not let him get to 300 or trigger his extension. I'm certain the GHS squad would have a strong case for games into GHS through 2016 as a long term benefit.

Time for jimmy to come out and thank geelong for an extraordinary career, 3 flags, a multi million dollar portfolio and a media career. And remember that ultimately its a business we're in. The club owe him nothing more than what's contracted - and for those jumping up and down that he had a 2017 contract - yes he did, and was told to expect significant vfl time if he chose to go on and he ultimately decided it retire based on that knowledge- and he owes the club nothing more than is contracted, which he fulfilled like a legend.

Kiss, make up and understand your place in the grand scheme.

I'll preface this with "I'm a HUGE Jimmy fan". BUT. His wife is (from direct source of people who know and deal with her) a self absorbed attention loving coat. (If you dont know what a coat is, it's an acronym that includes the word campaigner) any decision to go public from jimmy about being treated poorly, even in responses to CS's comments - comes from that influence. Scott was asked a question. All he did was admit fault and suggest the WHOLE thing could have been handled better from both sides. Bartel comes in saying
"I never commented on it publicly" And he's right - he didn't. But he was liberal in who he chatted to "off the record" about the fact he had a contract and he was being forced out. And Nadia was even more liberal. Reality is Scott could have played him in the VFL and not let him get to 300 or trigger his extension. I'm certain the GHS squad would have a strong case for games into GHS through 2016 as a long term benefit.

Time for jimmy to come out and thank geelong for an extraordinary career, 3 flags, a multi million dollar portfolio and a media career. And remember that ultimately its a business we're in. The club owe him nothing more than what's contracted - and for those jumping up and down that he had a 2017 contract - yes he did, and was told to expect significant vfl time if he chose to go on and he ultimately decided it retire based on that knowledge- and he owes the club nothing more than is contracted, which he fulfilled like a legend.

Kiss, make up and understand your place in the grand scheme.
Unbelievable having a crack at a woman's reputation from the safety of a key board with not one bit of evidence to back it up,other than direct source,who? a jealous female.I don't see any need to drag players family's into football discussions.The rest of the post is fine.

I agree with him. His wife is an attention whore. I would not be surprised a lot of this is coming from her no longer being in the spotlight.

Jimmy was a great but in the end he was completely shot. Slow, fumbly, couldnt jump. What did he expect the club to do, let him play on in a wheelchair?

Unbelievable having a crack at a woman's reputation from the safety of a key board with not one bit of evidence to back it up,other than direct source,who? a jealous female.I don't see any need to drag players family's into football discussions.The rest of the post is fine.
His posts are based on knowledge if you read them over the years.

IIRC correctly Dasher was told to retire, but in Scarlo's book he said Milburn was pissed off and wanted to play another year. But in the end he just accepted it, and moved on because the club made it clear it was never going to be an option.
So an unenviable job CS had in his first season.
Mooney
Milburn
Both miss GF and need to retire.
Correct decision.
Ottens
Ling
Both decide enough is enough. Great way to go out.
Corey a year later.
I think he has dealt with our ageing immortals really well.
He has been very mindful of their reputation and status at Geelong, and most importantly their viability as players for our team.
Who could have dealt with these players in a better way, and how?
The Bartel one may had had some issues, but in general, he has been appropriately sensitive whilst trying to put the club number 1.

His posts are based on knowledge if you read them over the years.
Quoted post acknowledges that the info is 2nd-hand. Inferring that Bartel's actions were due to someone's influence is by its nature speculation. Unnecessary to the point being made, could've just said Jimmy & family spoke/complained publicly.

It's probably unfair to besmirch the name of someone who hasn't commented publicly on the issues. Let's stick to what Bartel and Scott (and any others publicly) have said in the matter.

I do not think this is the correct forum for this type of stuff
It's a pity there is a thread going into this distraction- which is all it is.
Comments of course, will eventuate.
Not criticising the OP, because it would have reared its ugly head in another way anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This issue was discussed on sen crunch time earlier this arvo, with Robbo and kingy having their say and moons being called in to comment. I willbullet point some take-aways and should say that moons was very measured, complimentary of his time under Scott and Scott in general, and tried to play the whole thing down to an extent. However, some of the things which were discussed included:

*scott hasn't had good communication with the group generally
*this is a big contrast with Thompson, who was close with the players
*ex players and current players both have issues in their relationships with him
*it is generally felt that exits have not been handled as delicately and respectfully as they might have been
*in jimmys case apparently a deal for this year was tabled and then removed, causing angst and disappointment
*scott didn't deliver the news to jimmy personally and never talked to him about it
*scott has been worded up about the communication thing and has apparently turned this around 180 degrees over the summer, some suggestion that the death of his brother may have increased empathy between him and the group (that last bit may have been from moons on sen earlier in the week)

Take from all that what you will. There is probably more which I have forgotten to mention. Whatever the reality, it seems clear that there is/has been some unrest...

This issue was discussed on sen crunch time earlier this arvo, with Robbo and kingy having their say and moons being called in to comment. I willbullet point some take-aways and should say that moons was very measured, complimentary of his time under Scott and Scott in general, and tried to play the whole thing down to an extent. However, some of the things which were discussed included:

*ex players and current players both have issues in their relationships with him
*it is generally felt that exits have not been handled as delicately and respectfully as they might have been
*in jimmys case apparently a deal for this year was tabled and then removed, causing angst and disappointment
*scott didn't deliver the news to jimmy personally and never talked to him about it
*scott has been worded up about the communication thing and has apparently turned this around 180 degrees over the summer, some suggestion that the death of his brother may have increased empathy between him and the group (that last bit may have been from moons on sen earlier in the week)

Take from all that what you will. There is probably more which I have forgotten to mention. Whatever the reality, it seems clear that there is/has been some unrest...
Well, Chappy has returned to the club several times, through media mainly, and has talked to CS on radio very civilly, and they seem to have fondness for each other. Chappy even asked CS if he would still be his favourite #35 in the midst of Danger's efforts. Point being as long as they both communicate and Bartel feels he is still very much a loved past player, then no damage done.

I do not think this is the correct forum for this type of stuff
Quoted post acknowledges that the info is 2nd-hand. Inferring that Bartel's actions were due to someone's influence is by its nature speculation. Unnecessary to the point being made, could've just said Jimmy & family spoke/complained publicly.
Probably correct, but this goes on everywhere on BF all the time. Don't know how many times we have read about T Hird even on our board.
This stuff is going to come up whether we like it or not, and whether or not it is factual, such is the nature of these contentious issues and hence threads.

Link to the interview in full:

https://audioboom.com/posts/5745960-crunch-time-25-03-2017-discussion-on-chris-scott-with-cam-mooney

I don't profess to have any inside info or mail

But Stevie Wonder could see that Mrs Bartel loves the spotlight and perks being an AFL players wife brings.

That said onto this

Last year Cataholic and myself on a few occasions mentioned there was just something a bit off with the group, or at least appeared to be.

Obviously people will take what they want to from any info... but it doesn't seem like we have had things going as smoothly as we could have behind the scenes.

Last edited by a moderator:

But Stevie Wonder could see that Mrs Bartel loves the spotlight and perks being an AFL players wife brings.

That said onto this

Last year Cataholic and myself on a few occasions mentioned there was just something a bit off with the group, or at least appeared to be.

Obviously people will take what they want to from any info... but it doesn't seem like we have had things going as smoothly as we could have behind the scenes.

To be expected. CS is not matey with the players like Bomber was but as Mooney said, a great teacher of footy. Plus, the unenviable task of being the coach to oversee the ends of ALL these careers is not something Bomber had to do. Plus our inglorious finale last September.
BUT- I can see why CS has been given an extension IN SPITE of all the murmurings- because he is a top quality man with the best ever record of w-l over 100 games coached. Cook knows he is still the man for the job.The challenge clearly is to get the group to totally buy into what he is about. This group has another 3 years with CS so the ball is in their hands as well.

That said onto this

I don't think we were too far off the mark Willo, and there appears to be some circumstantial evidence that we were onto something.

Hopefully that's now been addressed and all are moving on. Shall soon see.

If the club or Scott made mistakes I am sorry but am also past caring about that. Toughen up and move on, which is probably what Bartel is doing.

It was handled extremely poorly, if it wasn't we wouldn't still be hearing about it or discussing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back