News Jimmy Bartel retirement - how was it handled?

Remove this Banner Ad

Take from all that what you will. There is probably more which I have forgotten to mention. Whatever the reality, it seems clear that there is/has been some unrest...
Sounds like the exact kind of coach we need! I've always thought a good coach creates unrest in a club, I say we re-sign the guy for 3 years?!?:D:D:D

It was handled extremely poorly, if it wasn't we wouldn't still be hearing about it or discussing it.
"Extremely" poorly? You are the jack of adjectives. Was it handled more poorly than GAJ's departure, or Ablett Senior's departure? Or Damian Bourke's departure?

"Extremely" poorly? You are the jack of adjectives. Was it handled more poorly than GAJ's departure, or Ablett Senior's departure? Or Damian Bourke's departure?
When you've got Ling at the time, Mooney, and now Scott all saying it wasn't handled well and it comes up as a story on the eve of our opening round match; yes I'd say it was handled extremely poorly.

Consider this though- you're a first year coach. Same age as most your senior champions. And you know you have to neck them in the next few years. You're not gonna be all matey - you need that separation. I totally would do the same thing. Now he's 40+ and most those blokes are gone - I think it'll be a different vibe.

I am little annoyed that this has become a CS v JB thing. Scott's role is to coach this side to premiership glory. It shouldn't be about things like how to handle players when they reach their use-by date. That should be the responsibility of Steve Hocking. I'd much rather a coach who gets the score on the board but can be a bit clumsy in other areas then Mr Nice who everybody loves but ultimately doesn't deliver success.

I am little annoyed that this has become a CS v JB thing. Scott's role is to coach this side to premiership glory. It shouldn't be about things like how to handle players when they reach their use-by date. That should be the responsibility of Steve Hocking. I'd much rather a coach who gets the score on the board but can be a bit clumsy in other areas then Mr Nice who everybody loves but ultimately doesn't deliver success.
A-fricken-men.

And that is probably exactly how events transpired.

When you've got Ling at the time, Mooney, and now Scott all saying it wasn't handled well and it comes up as a story on the eve of our opening round match; yes I'd say it was handled extremely poorly.
That CS was not present at the Bartel exit is not uncommon, although he could have been there. I know from other similar teams, that is handled by the Steve Hocking equivalent.
There is no way CS did not have a prior chat to Bartel, informing him of the situation.
Will be good when our season starts just to dampen out these distractions.
Big picture- it is pretty small news.

The it you refer to is that it was made into a story at all. Correct.

Lol Ling and Mooney are long gone from the club -6 years is a long time in footy, and don't work there now as far as I can see. Why do you give them so much credence?
Granted they have more credibility than fat Tony's mafia links at the dogs and certainly more cred than the time your sozzled uncle overheard his girlfriend's mother's brother who'd eavesdropped on his mate's mate talking about 'his sources' whilst half unconscious under the BBQ table. But not much more! ( they do after all make a living off the media)

Last edited:
As always you didn't answer my question.

Have you bothered asking yourself why Jimmy's departure is news now? What can be achieved crying over spilt milk?

Scott has admitted he could have done things better and he says Jimmy could have too.

Never heard Bomber saying he could have handled GAJ's departure better

Lol Ling and Mooney are long gone from the club -6 years is a long time in footy, and don't work there now as far as I can see. Why do you give them so much credence?
Granted they have more credibility than fat Tony's mafia links at the dogs and certainly more cred than the time your sozzled uncle overheard his girlfriend's mother's brother who'd eavesdropped on his mate's mate talking about 'his sources' whilst half unconscious under the BBQ table. But not much more! ( they do after all make a living off the media)
They are premiership teammates and good mates in general of Bartels and I've yet to hear Bartel codemn anything they've said about it, but he has taken issue with Scott.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about a guy that doesn't get the score on the board and also isn't Mr nice guy - basically the reverse of Beveridge?

As always you didn't answer my question.

Have you bothered asking yourself why Jimmy's departure is news now? What can be achieved crying over spilt milk?

Scott has admitted he could have done things better and he says Jimmy could have too.

Never heard Bomber saying he could have handled GAJ's departure better
I don't think Bomber should be one to judge how people handle leaving the club.
This whole discussion is way to loaded with people either defending the club without criticism or hating Chris Scott.

Most likely parts of this were handled badly but also we don't need to burn the club to the ground.

So an unenviable job CS had in his first season.
Mooney
Milburn
Both miss GF and need to retire.
Correct decision.
Ottens
Ling
Both decide enough is enough. Great way to go out.
Corey a year later.
I think he has dealt with our ageing immortals really well.
He has been very mindful of their reputation and status at Geelong, and most importantly their viability as players for our team.
Who could have dealt with these players in a better way, and how?
The Bartel one may had had some issues, but in general, he has been appropriately sensitive whilst trying to put the club number 1.

I reckon most of those were well handled but other times he has gone too far at times to push some of the older players out.

Chappy was out for most of 2013 with an injury. After a cautious comeback he was sub in the round 22 comeback game against Sydney - got nine disposals and a goal in the first quarter while Vardy was being assessed for concussion. Then 26 disposals and 2 goals in the next game against Brisbane. But strangely he was only named on the bench against Freo in the qualifying final. He was good in the Semi-final against Port and was unlucky to be rubbed out for the Prelim against the Hawks. He could have made the difference in that game and got us into the GF. Then he was let go and played a full season including a final for Essendon. The players who were supposedly going to get more game time because of his release came nowhere near his standard.

Kelly had a good season for us in 2015. He was let go and was one of the Bombers best players last year. He's in the Bombers best 22 that beat Hawthorn yesterday. He's still a better player than GHS, Menegola, Blicavs, Stewart, Ruggles, Bews will ever be.

Both players were released too early and deserved to finish their playing careers with the Cats.

Hate to rain on @BlightyCats anti-Scott parade, but heard Cameron Ling being interviewed by Tim Lane on 3AW an hour ago. Ling is supportive of Scott and does not think Bartel's departure was handled badly. He says he didn't like the public talk before the finals series last year about the prospect of Bartel playing VFL in 2017 if he played on, but we don't know where that talk came from. Ling stressed that was the only he thing he didn't like.

As for the current public "spat" Ling said coaches are constantly put in unpopular positions having to tell footballers "who don't think they are finished" that the game is over.

When asked was it the right decision by the club to renew Scott for an extra 2 years (I.e., 3 years in total), he responded, "I think so....no, I know it was the right move". He went on about the importance of stability, and Brian Cook knowing what he is doing.

Last edited:
Hate to rain on @BlightyCats anti-Scott parade, but heard Cameron Ling being interviewed by Tim Lane on 3AW an hour ago. Ling is supportive of Scott and does not think Bartel's departure was handled badly. He says he didn't like the public talk before the finals series last year about the prospect of Bartel playing VFL in 2017 if he played on, but we don't know where that talk came from. Ling stressed that was the only he thing he didn't like.

As for the current public "spat" Ling said coaches are constantly put in unpopular positions having to tell footballers "who don't think they are finished" that the game is over.

When asked was it the right decision by the club to renew Scott for an extra 2 years (I.e., 3 years in total), he responded, "I think so....no, I know it was the right move". He went on about the importance of stability, and Brian Cook knowing what he is doing.

Lingy has it wrong too then. Blightycats obviously knows more than all of them. Cook is a loonie right? :rolleyes:

GO Catters

I reckon most of those were well handled but other times he has gone too far at times to push some of the older players out.

Chappy was out for most of 2013 with an injury. After a cautious comeback he was sub in the round 22 comeback game against Sydney - got nine disposals and a goal in the first quarter while Vardy was being assessed for concussion. Then 26 disposals and 2 goals in the next game against Brisbane. But strangely he was only named on the bench against Freo in the qualifying final. He was good in the Semi-final against Port and was unlucky to be rubbed out for the Prelim against the Hawks. He could have made the difference in that game and got us into the GF. Then he was let go and played a full season including a final for Essendon. The players who were supposedly going to get more game time because of his release came nowhere near his standard.

Kelly had a good season for us in 2015. He was let go and was one of the Bombers best players last year. He's in the Bombers best 22 that beat Hawthorn yesterday. He's still a better player than GHS, Menegola, Blicavs, Stewart, Ruggles, Bews will ever be.

Both players were released too early and deserved to finish their playing careers with the Cats.
Good points.
I agree about Kelly- would still be in our 22, but that says more about our current players than it does about CS- that decision had to be made and he was slowing in 15.
Chappy- was just not dependable any more. Long periods of injury, then the untimely suspension- I think his next season was against the odds of him not having another injury riddled season.

Fair to say that CONTEXT is an interesting word to apply to all the click bait headlines on this of late..

Go Catters

Any player who is reluctant (which seems to be 90% of players, very few appear to go willingly and on good terms with their clubs) to hang up his boots is always going to perceive retirement as 'badly' (i.e forced out) handled by the coach/club.

I have to say though that I'm a little disappointed with how some Geelong champs in their twilight of their careers have 'handled' their retirement, with the exceptions being Enright and Scarlett who went out on top or somewhat near it without any dramas.

Due to a medical condition my childhood dreams of being a pro athlete never came to fruition (had I had a clean bill of health I'd probably would't have come close anyway, guess I'll never know lol :D) So even though I can't empathize with them, I find it a bit disconcerting when aging champion veterans who are clearly struggling to make an impact on games insist that they still have 'it' (the ability to play at the top level) and feel they're entitled to another contract by their respective clubs.

As a fan I'd like to believe that if I were in their shoes I'd see the writing on the wall and gracefully retire when it's painfully obvious that I'm becoming a liability on the field. However so many champs (who've had long 10+ plus careers earning good coin 500K + p.a.) just come off as desperate, it's almost as if they think they won't find another form of employment once their footy playing days are over.

I'm all for educating young drafted players very early on that playing football is not a 'career' and to treat it as a type of lottery that has the potential to last 10 years. There should be a strong emphasis at every single AFL club about making the transition to 'normal' life throughout their time playing at the highest level in preparation for post footy life.

I get the sense that a lot of footy players think that whatever they earn playing footy should set them up for life and allow them to never work a day in their life again which is utterly preposterous and foolish.

We are simply not the US with a market of 300 million people for every single player to end up retiring as a multi millionaire. Instilling some realistic expectations and common sense from the first day they arrive at a footy club will hopefully reduce this unrealistic sense of entitlement among many Australian pro athletes.

Chris I think is referring to the fact that Jimmy let it be known he wasn't happy to go and obviously rankled the coach as it implied that Geel wasn't going to honour the play on clause. I suspect that is what Scott was referring and now jimmy is being squeezed by his media involvement to indicate a response. Not good but Chris is being honest and he was honest with Jimmy last year when he obviously told him he didn't want him to go but that they would honour the contract. These things are always hard and people see things differently. Personally I think Jimmy played it right to the end. He was spent but the mind was willing. Same with chappy. Two or three ok games with Ess didn't mean he should have gone on and yet we offered chappy 8 games.

Also good on scott for not playing so much politics and indicating what he thought and that is jimmy could have handled it better. SJ is a different kettle of fish. He probably should have stayed but on less money; would he do that? Obviously not and he went north like delidio last year. Is this really an issue with geel in isolation or just a problem we all have especially if we overestimate our where we fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve johnson was delisted by geelong so i am assuming no offer was made. He wanted to stay I am positive stokes and kelly same boat

Tell you what though he looked exhausted today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
37 degrees in Adelaide today. SJ is an old man and we need to look after them in the heat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back