Preview JLT 2: Fremantle vs West Coast. Sunday 4:10pm @ Rushton Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Forward lines function when you have genuine goal kickers before we had pav, ballas and walters.
Combine this with good delivery in the fifty.

Why are playing sturt off half back.
I was looking forward to seeing Hogan, lobb, sturt and walters in our forward line.

In regards to Brayshaw and Gaff I think AB is showing incredible maturity and setting a fantastic example for kids and adults alike. The kid seems to be a class act on and off the field and we are really fortunate to have picked him up in my opinion.

Yes we must look forward and put these snide actions in the past.

But, ……… is it just the media ?, but why are we talking about victim putting things in the past and shaking hands ?. Shouldn't the media be going with a story about the attacker coming out and saying he will go straight to Brayshaw on the ground, to shake hands and show the supporters a bit of sportsmanship ?.

Maybe its just me, grumpy ol bugger that I am, sportsmanship is lacking these days.

From what I can see, we are pretty much testing any potential 22 player for 2019 between JLT1 and 2 and see how they go - as opposed to the usual get R1 team working together in JLT2. Looks like the first half of the year will be largely developmental as we work out the new game plan, synergy between all the new faces, and see who is actually going to be best 2 going forward.

Yep, sounds to me that they are throwing the "fringe" players in there, and saying "show me what you can do ? ".

But, ……… is it just the media ?, but why are we talking about victim putting things in the past and shaking hands ?. Shouldn't the media be going with a story about the attacker coming out and saying he will go straight to Brayshaw on the ground, to shake hands and show the supporters a bit of sportsmanship ?.

Maybe its just me, grumpy ol bugger that I am, sportsmanship is lacking these days.

I think it's just our club taking the PR initiative and trying to throw some cold water on the immense outrage and hostility it engendered amongst our fans. I'd say they have some concern over vigilante Freo fans accosting/harrassing Gaff and all the negative blowback that would ensue. Maybe i'm too cynical but all players are merely mouthpieces for their respective teams.

Brayshaw also now comes out looking like the bigger man while endearing himself as an all-round great kid and future leader, it's pretty slick

I think it's just our club taking the PR initiative and trying to throw some cold water on the immense outrage and hostility it engendered amongst our fans. I'd say they have some concern over vigilante Freo fans accosting/harrassing Gaff and all the negative blowback that would ensue. Maybe i'm too cynical but all players are merely mouthpieces for their respective teams.

Brayshaw also now comes out looking like the bigger man while endearing himself as an all-round great kid and future leader, it's pretty slick

Fair enough, definitely good PR.

Anyway, onto season 2019.

Really got nothing to lose in this game (apart from injuries of course):

If we get smashed it is the opposite of last years JLT2 game and look what happened after that.
If it's close it is a good hitout in prep for R1
If we win by a lot (most unlikely), we feel good about ourselves and hit R1 with confidence.

Win/Win/Win!

The correct team:

FREMANTLE

B:L.Ryan 38 J.Hamling 21 N.Wilson 14
HB:T.Colyer 33 A.Pearce 25 D.Tucker 18
C:A.Cerra 5 D.Mundy - C 16 B.Hill 9
HF:E.Hughes 15 M.Walters 10 E.Langdon 26
F:B.Banfield 41 J.Hogan 11 R.Lobb 37
Foll: S.Darcy 4 R.Conca 6 A.Brayshaw 8
I/C: M.Taberner 20 T.Duman 44 B.Matera 3 B.Cox 36 H.Ballantyne 1 S.Giro 42 L.Schultz 28 S.Jones 40

Emerg: C.McCarthy 23, B.Bewley 34, R.Nyhuis 43, S.Sturt 27

So Schultz is in :) But Sturt, McCarthy, Bewley and Nyhuis are not.

The correct team:

FREMANTLE

B:L.Ryan 38 J.Hamling 21 N.Wilson 14
HB:T.Colyer 33 A.Pearce 25 D.Tucker 18
C:A.Cerra 5 D.Mundy - C 16 B.Hill 9
HF:E.Hughes 15 M.Walters 10 E.Langdon 26
F:B.Banfield 41 J.Hogan 11 R.Lobb 37
Foll: S.Darcy 4 R.Conca 6 A.Brayshaw 8
I/C: M.Taberner 20 T.Duman 44 B.Matera 3 B.Cox 36 H.Ballantyne 1 S.Giro 42 L.Schultz 28 S.Jones 40

Emerg: C.McCarthy 23, B.Bewley 34, R.Nyhuis 43, S.Sturt 27

So Schultz is in :) But Sturt, McCarthy, Bewley and Nyhuis are not.
Why only three half-backs? How are they supposed to develop?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It stems from thier coach

I really think it would have taken the heat out it, when if they have apologize without excuse.

They were more interested in getting Gaff off than Brayshaws welfare.

In both players cases a moment of madness shouldn't define a career, but the aftermath of it is the truer reflection of a player. Solomon actually went out of his way to apologise publicly; Gaff just went in to full on sook mode, played the victim and hid behind his coach.

In both players cases a moment of madness shouldn't define a career, but the aftermath of it is the truer reflection of a player. Solomon actually went out of his way to apologise publicly; Gaff just went in to full on sook mode, played the victim and hid behind his coach.
I don’t think that is quite fair. He did go out of his way to speak to the media immediately after the match and expressed concern for Andy. That was the only thing that he did right. He ran off to play footy, leaving Andy writhing on the ground without support, he continued to play, accepting the applause of the crowd and obvious support from his teammates, he allowed the stupid lie about golf to stand, and he allowed the Eagles to mount a ridiculous defence about what a good junior cricketer he was.

So, generally, really poor behaviour, except for the one act to express concern in public immediately after the match.

I don’t think that is quite fair. He did go out of his way to speak to the media immediately after the match and expressed concern for Andy. That was the only thing that he did right. He ran off to play footy, leaving Andy writhing on the ground without support, he continued to play, accepting the applause of the crowd and obvious support from his teammates, he allowed the stupid lie about golf to stand, and he allowed the Eagles to mount a ridiculous defence about what a good junior cricketer he was.

So, generally, really poor behaviour, except for the one act to express concern in public immediately after the match.
I'm not here to start fights but what you've said is way off the mark.

The first thing Gaff did after the match was front up to David King publicly apologise, and express concerns for Andrew's welfare.
He then visited the Brayshaw family in Melbourne and privately apologised to both Mum and Dad.

He fcked up, he knows it and he's owned it. He copped his suspension without making a fuss, and he's moving on with his career.

The applause from our fans at the ground came because hardly anyone saw the incident and they didn't show it on the replay screens, so most Eagles fans at the ground assumed Fremantle players were targeting Gaff for no reason, hence the applause.

I'm not here to start fights but what you've said is way off the mark.

The first thing Gaff did after the match was front up to David King publicly apologise, and express concerns for Andrew's welfare.
He then visited the Brayshaw family in Melbourne and privately apologised to both Mum and Dad.

He fcked up, he knows it and he's owned it. He copped his suspension without making a fuss, and he's moving on with his career.

The applause from our fans at the ground came because hardly anyone saw the incident and they didn't show it on the replay screens, so most Eagles fans at the ground assumed Fremantle players were targeting Gaff for no reason, hence the applause.
dockerfemme is spot on about the first thing Gagf did after deliberately smashing an 18 year old in the face was to run off and play football. Most of your post confirms what she said in her post yet you describe it as "way off the mark". WC fan behaviour was utterly disgraceful.

Booo.

dockerfemme is spot on about the first thing Gagf did after deliberately smashing an 18 year old in the face was to run off and play football.
Why does his age matter? He's an AFL player.

Didn't deliberately smash him in the face, was going for his chest. Even Andy's father could see that and he has more right to be angry than anyone else does.

Like I said, he made a huge mistake but he's done everything he could to extend the olive branch and make peace with the Brayshaw family.

Aye. I differ on one point in that I think we are done with the big list turnovers now. But it is a consolidation year, getting all those new parts to work together as a well oiled machine will take a while e.g. our shiny new toys in Hogan etc.

And as you say a development year too. 25 possessions in the midfield from Brayshaw is great, but 25 possessions will be better if it inched up to the 30 mark and beyond (he's not a meat and potatoes player, this man is one of our stars in the making) - we have a lot of young men on the list that need more time to develop. A couple of possessions and disposals each by the end of the year from those 20 and under adds up to a decent amount of extra oomph for us - and less oomph for the opposition, almost the difference in having an extra player on or off the field.

So 2019 a consolidation and development year and a hell of a team in the making, 2020 and beyond we will be one hell of a team.
Might need a big broom! Potential clean out candidates;
Sandi
Ballas
Bennell
McCarthy
Kersten
Jones
Hughes
Nyhuis

I consider 8 changes to be big. Fingers crossed Bennell and McCarthy magically come good... but not holding my breath for either. Good news is there should be plenty of cash monies for a high priced free agent without hindering our ability to keep the up’n’comers happy.

Oh, and maybe Mundy pending form, fitness and desire.

These are all truths. The way he scuttled off after he had caved in the kids face reminded me of the rat in Harry Potter, scabbers and I was going to call him that because it makes me sick having to type his name even. Now though I'm a GAGF fan.

But reading the thread I'm feeling conflicted because Andy is over it which makes him the man as opposed to the rat GAGF and I don't want to make it any harder for him. I was up for a good old booing but we'd probably get publically shamed for that.

Obviously to forgive is a high thing and I'm glad Andy is in that place, but I'm only a rabid supporter and I want to let GAGF know that I disapprove of what he did. I don't know what to do.

Why does his age matter? He's an AFL player.

Didn't deliberately smash him in the face, was going for his chest. Even Andy's father could see that and he has more right to be angry than anyone else does.

Like I said, he made a huge mistake but he's done everything he could to extend the olive branch and make peace with the Brayshaw family.
Who said his age matters? Apart from that it leaves a little stigma on a mature player deliberately punching a much younger and physically less mature player, and then running off to continue to play the game despite being clearly aware that he had caused significant injury. Why would it matter that Natanui develops a tackle designed to significantly injure an opposition player? And repeats it. Apart from that it leaves a little taste of cowardice and a total lack of sportsmanship in the mouth.

But, apart from that....

If it looks like a team strategy....

In all honesty, do you actually believe that? I go to every Freo game. There’s always somebody with one or more of the following;
* a smart phone with AFL app
* a smart phone with social media
* a mobile phone with friends/family texting
* an old dude with commentary radio headsets on

It’s virtually impossible to not know what’s happened on the field - even if you missed it. Certainly it would have been known within minutes, or at the very very latest, the end of the qrt - if your battery was flat, you were zoned out and not listening to others talking about it, went to the toilet and stopped to get a freshly made hot dog and chips on way back to seat.

It’s such a lame excuse. Much like Gaff blaming Brayshaw for changing direction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back