Review JLT Series Game 3: Sydney v St Kilda, Albury (7:10pm Sun 12-Mar)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think based on the pre season we will be top 4. Interesting if we ease up a bit though after the dogs stole a flag last year, maybe top 4 is not as big a deal?

Pace the stars better
I think top 4 is still essential and agree that we should make it. The first 5 weeks will be tough with basically our entire first choice small forward brigade from 2016 all out.

I think top 4 is still essential and agree that we should make it. The first 5 weeks will be tough with basically our entire first choice small forward brigade from 2016 all out.

Its ideal, I hope once we cement it we dont worry about first etc like we sorta seemed to late last year

JPK and Buddy for instance should be fresh come finals

I think Top 4 is more important for the interstate sides than the Vic clubs.

A Vic club could finish 8th and potentially play every one of their finals in their home state. We and 7 other clubs don't have that luxury.

And no this is not a VFL rant it's just facts.

And yet I'd still rate all four of those guys over Mitchell.
And you may be correct to do so (or not). I wasn't necessarily suggesting that he was better overall and wasn't even arguing he uses the ball particularly well. I was just providing some high level comparative facts to question the oft repeated narrative from some on this board regarding his disposal skills while largely ignoring the merits/short comings of other players.

Personally I really liked how Reid played last night.

It was only a practise match but I felt as if he gave us another option around the ground and up forward at times, not to mention he very rarely gets beat in a one on one (Either he marks the ball or gets it back to ground).
I agree.
The combination of Reid, Buddy and Tippet is working well and looks set to develop. For the first time (for a long time) there seems to be a method to our madness.

He's a half back flanker who is required to defend his opponent and rebound as much as possible. He is given the ball, he's not required to go digging in packs for the ball. He had 30 touches with 2 clangers going at over 90% efficiency. While those statistics aren't perfect in how they capture the data it's a pretty good indication that he did his job. He turned the ball over a couple of times kicking out from behinds, but he runs harder than nearly anyone and works his arse off every game. A guy like that who hits targets I'll take any day of the week.

In any case, comparing his numbers to Will Hayward's is just pointless. No reasonable inferences can be taken from 2 players playing such different positions with such different responsibilities.
great post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^ Florent is a lock for round 1 especially considering our injuries.

Too many have jumped on the hype train. From what I've seen, I'm far more pessimistic about what to expect. I don't expect much, certainly no more than 10 possessions a game. One thing that has certainly stood out from his first hit out is that he can't stand up to physical teams. North turned up the heat on him after quarter time in their win, and he was barely sighted afterwards.

I just think that expectations are far too high. There's a lot of hope, a fair bit of hype, but not much to back it up. He can do a couple of nice things, but with his frame and his inability to function under slight pressure, I don't think he'll do much in the first few rounds. In space he's OK, can use the ball, which is good and important, but the first 4 games are against some stiff opposition and they won't be letting him flap about on the wing without an opponent.

Too many have jumped on the hype train. From what I've seen, I'm far more pessimistic about what to expect. I don't expect much, certainly no more than 10 possessions a game. One thing that has certainly stood out from his first hit out is that he can't stand up to physical teams. North turned up the heat on him after quarter time in their win, and he was barely sighted afterwards.

I just think that expectations are far too high. There's a lot of hope, a fair bit of hype, but not much to back it up. He can do a couple of nice things, but with his frame and his inability to function under slight pressure, I don't think he'll do much in the first few rounds. In space he's OK, can use the ball, which is good and important, but the first 4 games are against some stiff opposition and they won't be letting him flap about on the wing without an opponent.
Says you who is on the tony Newman Armstrong train

Would have florent over Newman any day

I get that we're basing Florent on the glimpses of quality he showed in the pre-season, but what alternatives do we have? We're not saying he's gonna cement his spot in the best 22. He may be out of the side once Rohan, Papley etc. return. But with limited options (there's only 7 from the JLT games with a realistic chance of making rd 1 - Florent, Cameron, Foote, Hayward, Fox , Cunningham and then Laidler) Florent definitely seems like the best choice. He's already shown himself to be harder at it than Cunningham. Hayward had something like 8 touches the entire JLT series, Fox really only had one OK game. Laidler and Cameron aren't small forwards. And Foote's being played as more of a defensive type. So out of small forwards with a bit of pace, who else do you think would be preferable over him? The hype comes from the fact that there's a small forward spot up for grabs, and he did enough (no more than that) to grab that spot come round 1.

We picked a team of 24, against the Saints who played their round one team, with 6 of last year's GF representatives not available for selection in our team.
So we will need to pick 22 from those blokes.
Jack & Aliir come in perhaps so 4 of Sunday night's winning team will miss out.
I think it will be Melican for Aliir, should he be fit, 3 of Cameron, Foote, Fox & Hayward to miss out.
Florent is a definite starter & I have a hunch that Foote will stay in..

Well at least we know the statistician won't get writers cramp jotting down his contribution:rolleyes:

You're right about not overpaying him. At the end of the day it was just unrealistic to expect we could keep JPK, Hanners, Parker, Jack, Heeney, Lloyd and in the future Mills and Jones all together with Mitchell as well. As much as I rate Mitchell, was sad to see him go (especially to Hawks) and feel we may feel his absence just early on this season, he's probably got the least upside out of all of those mids besides maybe Lloyd. Someone had to go it's just tough t***ies
Hail Caesar!! Well said mate.

You are right he must not have seen Goodes play as he couldn't find a spot in the best 25 players of the last 25 years could he ? Brereton is a Dog. His hate for the Swans is a blight on his standing in the media. He was even riding Saints shots at Goal home and in one instance was calling the play when a Saints player kicked a goal and was heard in the background saying " Good Boy " as the ball sailed through. Fox Footy are the most unprofessional sports broadcasters in the World. Listen to other major sports across the Globe on Espn and it is proof in the pudding.

Goodes was a great Athlete but Franklin has him covered comfortably. Franklin is the Lebron James of this Sport.

Fox's NRL team shits all over FoxFooty's and Channel 7's.

Mitchell's 'Disposal Efficiency Percentage' was better than Kennedy's, Hannebery's and Parker's last season.

Edit: and Jack's
Unfortunately 'disposal efficiency' includes hand-balling to a stationary target or just banging it on the boot in hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back