Play Nice Jobe Watson to retire (no WADA/ASADA debates)

Remove this Banner Ad

Players were miss lead and let down by the people they trusted.

As captain he should've done more to question it. Instead he led his teammates in an oath of secrecy and has played the victim ever since. I'm sure he and others have actually convinced themselves they did nothing wrong.

It's a shame because he's otherwise conducted himself admirably and there are plenty (still) prepared to vouch for his character.

Hes had a very good career tarnished by the events but still have to admire him coming back this year to give it a crack. Ill remember as initially a plodder who improved imnensely and had a couple of ripper seasons. And can I say with no sarcasm intended a decent fellow.

A really tough end to his career and along with Hird will be remembered as the major casualties of the whole saga.

Will he go back to baristing? - I think that's the big question.

Bright side - his dad has no 'inside edge' going forward and could be confined to reading sports bulletins in Melbourne - something I don't have to see.

Good player and seems like a good bloke. I wish him all the best.

It's unfortunate what happened to him and the other players. They were seriously let down by the club and those that they trusted. I don't believe he cheated intentionally but failure to disclose is what did him in. 0 positive tests or not. That's where he personally broke the rules.

There are a lot of small minds on both sides of the argument. And it's one of the reasons why we can't have proper conversations anymore. No one is prepared to give ground despite facts or learned reasoning.

Jobes retirement statement says a lot about his time at Essendon under Hird.

Being cheated on by a partner, unfortunately Jobe that's how Hird, Dank and Essendon made us all feel in regards football in that period, but kudos for having the balls to say it.

We remember him as a Brownlow medalist and a legend, Why should we give AF what you or others think?

You definitely don't have to but gauging by all the defensive posts ITT you guys certainly do lol

You guys can remember him how you want that's great.

This is sad. He only played 17 games in 2011, getting injured in two of them. He only played 19 in 2013, 15 in 2014, and 12 in 2015. The latter years under incredible duress as the leader and best player of a club constantly under stress.

Average them out per game and his peak was 2012, but he was a solid Brownlow performer 2010-2015.

Your post is misleading, petty and sad. This is a thread for celebrating a player on their retirement. If you can't do that why even post?
It's not misleading, those are the facts. Watson played career best footy in the year he was on PED.

The most he polled in any other year is just above 50% of what he polled in 2012. He didn't miss 50% of games in every other year. In fact, the numbers are even more damning when you consider the injection regime ran for half a season only and that the majority of those 30 votes in 2012 were recorded in the first half of the season while the regime was on foot.

It's a pointless argument, anyway. His 2012 season has now been struck off the record and rightly so. He was otherwise a very good player as you say from 2010-2011 and 2013-2015.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jobe Watson's legacy is the Essendon Football Club you see today. Strong, vibrant, competitive and full of hope.

The club never broke under tremendous pressure and there isn't a single person who deserves the credit for that more than Jobe. He led the club through it all both publicly and behind the scenes.

Some organisations would be dead after the last five years - Essendon is nowhere near that and a lot of that is due to Jobe Watson.

A giant and legend of the club.

(Now go make a son pls)

I could have had more sympathy for him and the rest of the EFC if any of them had enough integrity to come clean. Instead they doubled-down on the bullshit and ended up wearing it. Watson had his chance to hand over the medal willingly and save face but instead chose to go the appeal. You can't do all that and still be considered a good bloke.

We remember him as a Brownlow medalist and a legend, Why should we give AF what you or others think?

Nobody can stop you from wrapping yourself in cotton wool. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

A rather ordinary player to start with but developed in leaps and bounds to become excellent. A shame about the drugs saga. We will never know how good he could have been/was.

I could have had more sympathy for him and the rest of the EFC if any of them had enough integrity to come clean. Instead they doubled-down on the bullshit and ended up wearing it. Watson had his chance to hand over the medal willingly and save face but instead chose to go the appeal. You can't do all that and still be considered a good bloke.

Nobody can stop you from wrapping yourself in cotton wool. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Either wish him the best or GTFO.

Its not pure speculation. He was found guilty by the worlds most widely used and respected anti sports doping body. An organization whos rules he agreed to abide by.

People talk about his brilliant years but can we really be so naive as to think that the fact those years were also when he was taking illegal performance enhancers is pure coincidence?

But what is far worse than what he did to himself is what he did to his fellow players as captain. He played a key role in convincing other players, most of whom looked up to and admired him, to not question what the club was doing to him.

If any of those players suffer side effects of those experimental drugs it should weigh just as heavily on jobes conscience as it should hird or danke. However since none of them have issued a proper apology to the players i am very doubtful it will.

He bought shame not just to himself and the efc but the entire competition. We should not celebrate him, we should mourn the damage he has caused.

So you feel that way about all of the banned bombers then?
Otherwise you've just got something against Watson, because he did nothing different to the rest of them.

A dignified exit that does justice to the quality of the bloke. Never lost his s**t at anyone throughout the saga which, considering the enormous scrutiny and finger-pointing, shows an astonishingly strong character of real integrity.

He was a great of the game. People will try and diminish that through bitterness but he is in the best handful of Essendon players we've had in the close to 40 years I've been watching and there's been a lot of great players in successful teams in that period.

decent player but was a terrible leader , didn't have a ounce of courage to say no to what was being injected into his body and even worse younger team mates.

just another lemming

That's the simple fact.

As a leader he didn't lead and that's what he'll be remembered for, as he let a lot of people down....players, their girlfriends, their families etc.

Sorry Jobe and football supporters may forgive and forget but some closer to the action, may not be able to.

So you feel that way about all of the banned bombers then?
Otherwise you've just got something against Watson, because he did nothing different to the rest of them.

I absolutely feel the same way about them all.

A lot of players have gone through the peaks and troughs in their careers. Not just on the field, but their entire life experience, and what football has given them directly and indirectly. Jobe's high/low chart is probably wider than nearly all (off the top of my head, Peter Crimmins, Darren Millane, Wayne Carey and Ben Cousins would have a wider chart than Jobe's). Went from a fat/slow beginning, to a handy player, to a gun, accepting the Brownlow, and we know the rest. Playing football, especially being the captain of a club, comes with baggage. And his bags were packed heavily over the past 4 years. He seemed to lug them around without too many complaints, but like I say to my missus when we head on hols, I didn't pack your bag so don't complain to me about how heavy it is.

Will be loved and remembered fondly by Essendon supporters and a handful of others, others might feel pity for him, others may feel nothing, and some may feel a sense of bitterness.

He got to play footy for a living. Something a lot of us would have killed to do. Good on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back