Joel Selwood Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm happy to admit my bias against him due to his antics and carry on, but there are definitely more than one player in Geelong's history better than him. Snr, Jnr and Polly Farmer are not even questionable.
I said cumulative, inferring to his total output over every game and I mentioned Snr. But Jnr only played 4 stellar years with Geelong and Farmer only 101 games. So I stand by what I said

Last edited:
Joel loved playing the hawks through that long winning streak. Countless times he led the way and pulled us across the line against them. Ah-they were good days and I certainly appreciated him in them.

Selwood has been a magnificent player and Geelong was very lucky to pick him up in the Draft. Dragged Geelong over the line for numerous wins with his ability to win the contested ball and his desire, grit and will to win. He has been a huge part of Geelong‘s success.
Anyone who says that man is not a great of the game has no idea what is required to be a star AFL player.

Putting aside what people think about his style etc.

since 2008 he’s been elite, been a good, hard, strong contributor. He was in 2007 but relative to experienced players he was a rung or two below them. To start with he had Bartel alongside him and Ablett who were awesome. Bartel faded a bit - still a great player but never as good as 07-08. He had Ablett alongside him as a superstar. That finished when Ablett left in 2010. Bartel moved to a less midfield centric role, he had Corey around him in the 2011 flag and Johnson started to spend more time around the ball. Within a year or two they’d gone and Johnson went back to being forward before he went to GWS. Duncan developed into a good ball winner. Selwood was there alongside him. Then dangerfield came along and dominated for the next 2-3 years at the very top end of the competition. Kelly arrived and was All Australian immediately, then left. Guthrie and Menegola developed into A graders (briefly in Menegola’s case as he was average this year).

across all those different eras and combinations there was one constant, plugging away, winning his 24 touches a week, most of them contested, chasing opponents, kicking the occasional big goal, tackling, who’s output never really fell off no matter what the line up around him looked like.

he may never have been the very best but geez he’s maintained, before This season, a high level for a bloody long time. You don’t do that if you aren’t an unbelievable player.

That’s not Nathan Jones fault .

It’s your fault if you’re silly enough to mark them equal because they’ve ‘achieved’ the same.

it’s not Gary ablett’s fault he played in a team of children and rejects at the Suns but I’m pretty sure anyone with their full frontal lobe can work out his two premiership best and fairests in sides who lost 4 and 3 games in a season respectively was a greater achievement

It’s your fault if you’re silly enough to mark them equal because they’ve ‘achieved’ the same.

it’s not Gary ablett’s fault he played in a team of children and rejects at the Suns but I’m pretty sure anyone with their full frontal lobe can work out his two premiership best and fairests in sides who lost 4 and 3 games in a season respectively was a greater achievement

I think Selwood is a good player. He's obviously not a great player anymore as he hasn't been an AA for 4 years but in the past I think he was a great player. He still and always will be one of the worst stagers the game has ever seen though and this will be how he is seen by many neutral supporters post retirement and rightly so.

Last edited:
I think Selwood is a good player. He's obviously not a great player anymore as he hasn't been an AA for 4 years but in the past I think he was a great player. He still and always will be one of the worst stagers the game has ever seen though and this will be how he is seen by many neutral supporters post retirement and rightly so.

That’s up to individuals to assess, if that’s how they feel then that’s fine.

That’s not Nathan Jones fault .

Among the greats:

TOP 10
1 – Nathan Jones (365)
2 – Colin Garland (360)
3 – Dean Terlich (306)
4 – Matt Jones (303)
5 – Colin Sylvia (288)
6 – Lynden Dunn (270)
7 – James Frawley (268)
8 – Jack Trengove (257)
9 – Jeremy Howe (256)
10 – Tom McDonald (249)

Not a fan of much of what has come to characterise his career, but it's all been covered before and no need for me to retread old ground. He was a very good player during the premiership years, and became exceptional afterwards; as far as the "top 5 player" argument goes, I would say he most definitely was for 13-14. His courage and commitment to winning the contest can't be doubted, and while there is some evident anger creeping into his game, it seems natural for a player whose career knew early success, and whose natural determination to win is expressed as a frustrated revanchism in its latter days. He's not what he used to be, no one can deny that, but should have one more go to add leadership and assist the transition to a new period in his club's history. I personally wouldn't begrudge him getting to 350 games.

Joel Selwood will leave the game a very divisive figure, but it won't bother him. After all, the most important opinions to him will be those of his own supporters rather than those of the opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They won't be able to pin the Norm Smith on him when he ducks out of it! Shame he'll always be tarnished by that, in what has otherwise been a sensational career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back