John Worsfold - will he coach again?

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact he turned a blind eye to all the drug taking/boozing and partying at West Coast in the last decade means I don't want him at Carlton. He didn't really leave West Coast in great shape for Adam Simpson either (they have the worst midfield in the league, in my opinion)
Nice assumption dude. Dont make up stuff.

Anyways. He was pretty burnt out after the eagles tenure.

Anyways. He was pretty burnt out after the eagles tenure.

His attempt and ultimate failure to rebuild the Eagles midfield after 2007 is the one part of his legacy that has the club struggling at the minute. Even right up to the end he firmly believed that the current set of players would achieve the ultimate success, even though the majority of informed supporters knew he was completely out of touch.

Not sure where he was tactically in his last couple of years at West Coast. What do Eagles fans think? Or were the players just not of a high enough standard?

He should never of coached his last season for us, a lot of innuendo were brought up about his personal life. The man was truly burnt out and distracted with issues outside of footy. If he comes back, all the best for him but he'll probably spend a few years away from the limelight

When Simpson leaves to take the soon-to-be-available job at North, Woosh would likely be considered for a move back to West Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where he was tactically in his last couple of years at West Coast. What do Eagles fans think? Or were the players just not of a high enough standard?
Worsfolds mistake was excess loyalty. He probably stayed too long at the club, as opposed to not being able to innovate. He is really well regarded within the industry for being process driven and analytical, and innovated in the sense that he really drove the club to delegate responsibilities or tasks properly, which clubs like Hawthorn do really well and leagues like the NFL have been doing for decades.

Also, WC issues are at the management level. Failure to turn over staff and restructure the football department.

Recruiting has been and on/off issue, and certain people have accused the club of being overly reliant on the private school network, as opposed to taking a more professional approach.

Wow, he's only 46? He looked a lot older than that in his last year at West Coast. Personally I got the feeling that he was over the stress and responsibility of being a senior coach. He just looked spent - and for that reason I don't think any club would take a chance on him, and I don't think he'd want the chance. He's over it.
Oldest 46 yo ever. I think he was one of those blokes that was 30 when he was 20 and 40 when he was 30. Juddy is a bit the same.

Oldest 46 yo ever. I think he was one of those blokes that was 30 when he was 20 and 40 when he was 30. Juddy is a bit the same.
He's seen some hard times old Woosh. Still seems like a top bloke tho. I'd be good to see him get another taste of success before taking a proper step back from footy

His attempt and ultimate failure to rebuild the Eagles midfield after 2007 is the one part of his legacy that has the club struggling at the minute. Even right up to the end he firmly believed that the current set of players would achieve the ultimate success, even though the majority of informed supporters knew he was completely out of touch.
Harsh. The eagles have either had blokes who were guns and went home. Busted. Or ultimately have not reached their potential the last couple of years. More of trevor woodhouses fault

He's a relatively recent Premiership coach - he should at least get an interview. However I think he isn't in a rush and seems happy to wait for a job he wants rather than desperately trying to take any job that comes along.

Seems more of a culture guy than a tactician, even if the culture of living a responsible lifestyle went out under his control the culture of winning footy games he had nailed.

I could see him taking a Roos style role and like Roos he'd be wise to get himself a smart deputy.

The issue there is I don't think a top club who sacks a coach for not meeting expectations will be keen on him, he's more likely to get interest from a wayward club that needs a stronger leader and presence to steer the place back on track.

But if you were him wouldn't you just as quickly take a more permanent role at Adelaide as a wise head to help Walsh than bother taking the big job. I think I would unless someone gave me a mega deal and I'm not sure Woosha is getting the Roos offer.

Or Shaw, even?
-----------------
I think Adz's point could have been that neither of his examples or Shaw came within a bulls roar of a flag. Worsfold won a flag (by one point) on the back of Judd, Kerr, Cousins, Braun(?) & Co.... All he seemed to do was tell them 'go out and play and if we get stuck I'll swap Hunter around'... Hardly the work of a genius...sheeesh with the list they had at the time they should have won 3 flags...

Fair call, as an Eagles fan you'd have a lot more knowledge of the situation then me, think if he had his time over, Woosha would do things differently, that Eagles was a wonderfully talented team that really should have won at least 2 more flags (but that's on the players themselves, not Woosha)

I think if he got the 05 flag as well, he would be much more revered.

As my username would suggest, ive always had great respect for the man. He is one of my all time favourite Eagles players, and as someone else said earlier its a bloody travesty that he's not a Hall of Famer.

In regards to coaching, I would love to see ol' Johnny back at West Coast in something like an assistant coach capacity. He always had a way with the players, and when he was talking (especially in the huddle on game day) you could see that everyone in the playing group just had massive respect for him. I think he is one of those guys who is capable of getting the absolute best out of someone, and makes players actively want to impress him.

As for getting a head coaching gig, I would have to say no. Whilst poor old Woosh was very analytically minded his grasp on game day strategy and tactics was tenuous at best, and if he didnt have arguably the best midfield of the decade at his disposal he probably wouldnt have gotten the team as far as he did. Id say that if you gave him a job where he only had to do a handful of things he would be perfect. If you expect him to manage the whole show as the guy in charge, then he will struggle.

He would be a great asset around any club IMO. Not sure about being a head coach though. I think he was behind the 8 ball in his final years with us, he would have to have some assistant roles before trying to step back up, surely.

But then again, Rodney Eade did get the Suns job..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back