Jolly on Neale Daniher. Biggest whack to an ex coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which is fine, I’m just saying that all this is from Jolly is an opinion, and people should remember that.

The premise of the article is that he was an uninspiring coach, which apparently is in complete contrast to Roos, Malthouse and Buckley. That can hardly be taken as “fact” when the bloke took a team from the wooden spoon and 4 wins, to a prelim final in his first year – he must have been inspiring somebody.

It’s pretty clear the two clashed (at least on Jolly’s part). I’m sure we could also find players who have clashed with Roos, Malthouse and Buckley.

It’s just pretty average reading – I’m not sure if he wrote it, or if it was ghosted etc... but it reads as nothing more than swipe at a coach who he didn’t get on with 12 years ago, with the references to Roos, Buckley and Malthouse a very thin veil. It just sounds bitter etc, why would he just give the bloke a public whack now?

Agree, the timing and content was odd

Something best left for a book written in life after football (not saying Jolly should write a book, but this is where you expect to read these opinions in greater detail)

The tone I got from the article was if you weren't a favourite, he didn't want to know you (Daniher) and I got that feeling for most of his coaching life with the way 2nd string players seemed to get treated

I thought it was a pathetic article... seriously what was the point?

I dislike Jolly about as much as one can dislike a player from their own club you couldn't have won a premiership without... he just comes across as such a big sook!

What did Jolly want? What he's now getting at Collingwood in a rubber-stamped senior game every week?

Melbourne had perhaps the best ruckman of the entire decade on their list in White. But instead of putting in the hard yards, Jolly chose to cut and run and play elsewhere. his choice.

Perhaps he is right in that Daniher was a perfectionist. Last time I looked, there is no harm in perfectionism. Perhaps Daniher was bit cold and maybe even bitter - after what Daniher himself went through as a player, you could perhaps understand that feeling.

The article was refreshing - yes. But, it's also highly critical when it didn't need to be.

Jolly is entitled to his comments, But it's just HIS opinion, he is certainlty entitled to that.
But opinions are like arses, everyone has one and some stink, so Jolly's stinks for mine.

It was clear that Daniher had favourites, and a lot of out younger players (i.e. Dunn and Bate, Jolly, Jamar etc.) suffered due to stunted development and lack of game time in my opinion

Even when blokes were horribly out of form, for extended periods, Daniher refused to drop them (Yze pleading with Daniher to be dropped springs to mind)

We are now in this crisis with lack of solid 26 - 30 year old players, and I place that squarely on Daniher's head
Wow, that sounds so much like a description of Ross Lyon's apparent weaknesses at his time at St Kilda it's not funny!

Seems that while both Daniher and Lyon were "relatively successful" in their times at the respective clubs, they both lacked that balanced approach that the likes of Roos and Malthouse and so on had, that got them the ultimate result that Lyon and Daniher failed to achieve.

Those that, like Buckley apparently was, are aware that they aren't perfect and that they don't know it all, can learn something from Jolly's experiences and I'm glad he wrote the article.

As Zeke said, what a shock that those who are all defensive and going in to bat for Daniher generally support either Melbourne, or Essendon, though!

What a moronic article. Jolly has proven himself to be an unloyal mercenary who would rather get his bat and ball and go home (adding himself to an already established team) whenever things get tough over sticking it out and building something. He wouldn't know the first thing about what it takes to actually build success as a coach or a player. He just cashes in when the plum job comes along.

No surprise his pampered soft underbelly didn't agree with old-fashioned tactics. Plenty of champions have been born out of coaching styles similar to Daniher's. Tougher men than he would presume that if the coach wasn't talking to him all that much then it might be a good thing.

Sounds like he just wanted to kiss Buckleys arse.

Melbourne supporters didn't enjoy the article.

SHOCK HORROR.

Collingwood supporters think it was honest & refreshing.

SHOCK HORROR!!

In all seriousness every coach has had personality clashes with players at their clubs & every coach has their favourites. Jeff White was one of the best players Daniher had the whole time he was at Melbourne, they started the same year at the club so Jolly at that stage was never going to walk in 7 be first ruck. When he went to Sydney Ball was still ahead of him until he retired at the end of 05.

Sheedy has had his moments with players, Manton would always take a cheap shot whenever the chance came up despite getting many chances to prove himself yet he came up short. Barnes didn't get along with him in his first stint at the club. Kickett was dropped for a GF after playing around 50 games in a row & has never gotten over it.

Jolly in this article just took a chance to take a massive pot shot at his ex coach who most in the football world thought did a pretty good job over a 10 year period. It took Malthouse, who is regarded as a 'supercoach', 11 years to win a flag at a much better resourced club. I remember Schwartz having a go at Daniher towards the end of his playing career & in the years following. Woewodin also had a go at him after he got moved on but that was also the whole footy club in general. At least these 2 guys did while Daniher was still involved at the club & relevant to their on field performance. What Jolly wrote was a cheap shot at a guy who has been gone 5 years & Daniher would've been wondering what he did to get dragged into all this. Buckleys also only coached 8 games so far so to put him in the same category as Roos & Malthouse was a bit much.

That Daniher played strong favourites (I know this happens a lot, but he did this on a massive level)

I remember this post game address to his players where he was just saying something like "great game boys, but none better that this man (Aaron Davey). Just keep giving it to this man and we'll win every week"

Something along those lines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jolly is entitled to his comments, But it's just HIS opinion, he is certainlty entitled to that.
But opinions are like arses, everyone has one and some stink, so Jolly's stinks for mine.

is this the feeling of the Collingwood community as a hole.

Jolly burned a lot of bridges in his final couple seasons at Sydney

but as for this story. Stop press a player didn't like the coach and moved clubs..... I didn't like one of my bosses and left but others loved him. Were all happier

If more story's follow than there's something to it but right now we just know Darren Jolly didn't think much of Neale Daniher.

I don't have an opinion either way, I have very little interest for current day Melbourne, let alone historical hearsay.

Players really can't win. When they no-comment, they get bagged. When they trot out cliches, they get bagged. When they're honest, they get bagged.

What the **** do you want them to say?

Cannot believe Jolly is comparing Daniher to Buckley. The latter has coached 8 games FFS. And at a club resourced in a way that Daniher could only have dreamt of. Perhaps he is right in suggesting Daniher went too much with the stick over the carrot. I don't know. None of the keyboard warriors on here really know. But to compare him and Buckley at this point is just absurd. By the bye, Jolly had two good seasons at Sydney and one good season at Collingwood. That is the limited extent of the 'footballer he became'.

Cannot believe Jolly is comparing Daniher to Buckley. The latter has coached 8 games FFS. And at a club resourced in a way that Daniher could only have dreamt of. Perhaps he is right in suggesting Daniher went too much with the stick over the carrot. I don't know. None of the keyboard warriors on here really know. But to compare him and Buckley at this point is just absurd. By the bye, Jolly had two good seasons at Sydney and one good season at Collingwood. That is the limited extent of the 'footballer he became'.
Oh FFS he's not comparing him to Daniher, he quite plainly said he's just starting out and is eager to learn - either you didn't read it or don't want to let the facts get in the way of a good rant. :rolleyes:

I don't have an opinion either way, I have very little interest for current day Melbourne, let alone historical hearsay.

Players really can't win. When they no-comment, they get bagged. When they trot out cliches, they get bagged. When they're honest, they get bagged.

I'm being biased here, but preferably behave like Matthew Scarlett, and a hand full of other Geelong players, who view the media as contemptible and avoid interaction with it where possible. A damn decent position given the turgid comment/trolling that constitutes the media associated with AFL. It is just too pathetic for words. The hysteria around the AFL in the media is borderline sickness in Melbourne. An excellent article by Richard Hinds on this obsession here:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...engers-20120522-1z39a.html?rand=1337695877351

Ps. I am no big league fan, but his critique stands IMO.

Oh FFS he's not comparing him to Daniher, he quite plainly said he's just starting out and is eager to learn - either you didn't read it or don't want to let the facts get in the way of a good rant. :rolleyes:

Actually, he is comparing the two. The article is set up as a 'compare and contrast' piece, with Daniher playing the straw man and Roos, MM, and Buckley being counterposed as coaching options apropos Daniher. True, the caveat is provided that Bucks is starting out, but the comparison is still made between he and Daniher as far as coaching style goes.

How but just the **** up and play footy? No-one really wants to know or care.

Darren Jolly has written a number of articles for The Age this season.

I presume this particular piece resulted from a request from the Sports Editor for Jolly to compare his AFL coaches, their methods and what worked for him.

Seems to me that is all he has done.
It just so happens that he didn't particularity care for Daniher's coaching methodology/personality and felt that Roos & Malthouse were better mentors.

I don't see any sooking or agendas, merely an appraisal of the 4 coaches he has played under at AFL level.

Darren Jolly is clearly in the final stages of his career and this appears to have given him some licence to speak his mind in the media about events both past and present. I can't help but think he's working on developing a name for himself post-footy and good luck to him in that respect.

His views on his relationship with Daniher concern two people in a more genuine sense... Darren Jolly and Neale Daniher. The rest of us are bystanders, both curious and uninterested.

This bystander is enjoying hearing a player speak candidly about player-coach relationships and I think it's a mile away from the sort of garbage we've come to expect from some of our "journalists". True or not, at least it appears to be a genuine opinion. Jolly felt snubbed by Daniher and his impression was one of favouritism. You can't dispute how a man felt at the time, for better or worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back