Oppo Camp Jono Marsh has been signed by the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair De Goey probably over took everyone in his draft class in 2018

I rate him higher than Brayshaw, Heeney and Pretracca anyway

Heeney is clearly ahead of DeGoey for mine, he is an absolute jet in his own right who does it all and can play anywhere.

Brayshaw and DeGoey would be close to 50-50 at the moment, with Petracca lagging behind - he should be more like DeGoey as he has all the tools and has shoen flashes at times but hasn't realised his potential yet.

Then look at there game against Adelaide or us in the prelim and you see Rance toweled up on on one and it costs him. We don’t have the players around him to cover for him the way Richmond do for Rance. So he will be left to get exposed
Time will tell, because he's going to be given a run in defence. In a one on one contest, the forward has to dominate it to mark the footy - at this stage we know that Moore can't do that. But the defender can be outbodied yet only has to get a hand in to spoil to break even in these contests, I'm quietly confident that Moore will be able to do this. I wouldn't play him on Cloke or Hawkins, for the reasons you've suggested, but I'd be comfortable against most other tall forwads.

Heeney is clearly ahead of DeGoey for mine, he is an absolute jet in his own right who does it all and can play anywhere.

Brayshaw and DeGoey would be close to 50-50 at the moment, with Petracca lagging behind - he should be more like DeGoey as he has all the tools and has shoen flashes at times but hasn't realised his potential yet.
You may be right in terms of runs on the board to date, but going forward I wouldn't contemplate trading Degoey for any of the guys mentioned. He's going to be the best forward of his generation and tear the competition to shreds.

Moore was a first round pick. He was a F/S selection. His dad was dual brownlow medalist. He’s the kind of player we’d been craving.

Sure, he’a done a few nice things ...

... but so does every player. Every player looks like a star in their own 30 second highlights reel.

If it weren’t for his surname and him being a first round pick, folks would be absolutely bagging him here mercilessly.

Consider - he was drafted alongside DeGoey. They were both part of the Premiership winning Oakleigh Chargers. Now compare the relative capability / performance / value of both players today:

Not. Even. Close

Might be a bit more to it than that.

It's pretty clear that he's going to be given a run as a defender. I think and hope that you'll be pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't want him to try to go man on man with someone like Travis Cloke because of the reasons that you've mentioned, but from the brief bits we saw this year, it's pretty clear that he'll zone off his man and look to beat him by reading and attacking the incoming ball in the style of Rance.

As a developing KPP I'm not sure you'd expect Moore to regularly be wrestling gorilla KPF's, but the same could be said for many in the same stage of their development. I'm not sure that precludes him developing that aspect of his game though as he gains experience and gets the extra preseasons under his belt. Pretty shortsighted really to do so.

Last edited:
You usually have a rational head, so I’m surprised that you’ve posted this without taking in to consideration:
1. JDG was in a similar boat to Moore at the start of this year.
2. Moore has been injured so heavily this year that his opportunity to have a breakout season was destroyed.
3. Uber talls tend to take a lot longer to develop.

It’s harsh and unfair to lump Moore down the path of ‘if his name wasn’t (insert legend name her) then we’d be bagging him’.

Pretty crappy to make such an apples/oranges comparison imo.

4. Moore had shown so much promise and potential that in the 2017 / 2018 off season he was moved from the forward line to the backline - despite Collingwood having quite a weak forward line on paper (apart from Elliott and Fasolo ... who would go on to play 1 game between them).

4. Moore had shown so much promise and potential that in the 2017 / 2018 off season he was moved from the forward line to the backline - despite Collingwood having quite a weak forward line on paper (apart from Elliott and Fasolo ... who would go on to play 1 game between them).
Once again, a bit unfair. I’d argue he’d shown significantly more forward than Cox had, and he was top 10 in the league for contested marks. Given he kicked 25 goals from 21 games last year, (after not kicking any for the first 5 rounds, so in reality, 25 from his last 19) with extremely poor delivery, while Cox managed 25 from 24 this year with significantly more, and better service, I’d say Darcy was less a victim of poor performance and more a victim of his own versatility, given our scarce KPD options and Cox’s lack of comparative versatility.

In my view, any way I look at it, even with a sympathetic eye, Moore has yet to deliver on his undoubted potential. Needs to get the body right and get a block of games in and start staking his claim this year. He is one I would play in the VFL until he shows not only form but also some resilience. Not bagging him as a player, person or prodigal son, he's been in the system for 3 seasons and its now time to turn up, hope the body holds up and he gets his chance to prove himself.

In my view, any way I look at it, even with a sympathetic eye, Moore has yet to deliver on his undoubted potential. Needs to get the body right and get a block of games in and start staking his claim this year. He is one I would play in the VFL until he shows not only form but also some resilience. Not bagging him as a player, person or prodigal son, he's been in the system for 3 seasons and its now time to turn up, hope the body holds up and he gets his chance to prove himself.

I've personally been critical of Moore at times when I thought it justified but isn't that about our (supporters) expectations and impatience? A quick look at his stats (career to date) and he stacks up bloody well against the Daniher's and Brown's of the league. Shame 2018 was derailed through injury or we may very well be having a completely different discussion.

I've personally been critical of Moore at times when I thought it justified but isn't that about our (supporters) expectations and impatience? A quick look at his stats (career to date) and he stacks up bloody well against the Daniher's and Brown's of the league. Shame 2018 was derailed through injury or we may very well be having a completely different discussion.

Yes, good call Mr. Ass, there is almost certainly an element of elevated expectation in my analysis of his current situation.

As a developing KPP I'm not sure you'd expect Moore to regularly be wrestling gorilla KPF's, but the same could be said for many in the same stage of their development. I'm not sure that precludes him developing that aspect of his game though as he gains experience and gets the extra preseasons under his belt. Pretty shortsighted really to do so.
It’s about his body type he is lean slightly built hasn’t put on much size in his time in the game. With the running demands he is not going to be adding much more lean muscle mass. He also has a high centre of gravity meaning he will never be suited to standing a man one on one.

That’s is exactly why he has to stay forward. He has the ability to be a match winner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s about his body type he is lean slightly built hasn’t put on much size in his time in the game. With the running demands he is not going to be adding much more lean muscle mass. He also has a high centre of gravity meaning he will never be suited to standing a man one on one.

He may well have been lean and/or slightly built when recruited but looks to me to be adding considerably to that frame. I'd expect him to be bigger again in 2019.

Last edited:
That’s is exactly why he has to stay forward. He has the ability to be a match winner

That's hardly an argument for keeping him forward given he has the ability to be a match saver in defence.

He may well have been lean and/or slightly built when recruited but looks to me to be adding considerably to that frame. I'd expect him to be bigger again in 2019.

Yeah people notice visual changes through the shoulders but it is more or less meaningless. But it's the lower body where you get your power from. Look at the key position who are good body on body they are all big through the lower body

Maybe we should be pushing the case for Marsh too?
(Assuming we want him)
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-13/bombers-closing-in-on-signing-former-dockers-ruckman-clarke
This does seem to suggest that we should be able to "reclaim" Marsh under this new rule, as long as they have worded it correctly where it says "a retired footballer and/or a player that delisted himself and has not been on an AFL list for at least one year". Though if he is eligible I find it a bit odd that he hasn't at least been mentioned in the Clarke/Mumford/new rule articles!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-15/new-rookie-rules-clarke-mumford-free-to-join-club-of-choice

FORMER Fremantle ruck-forward Zac Clarke is one step closer to joining Essendon, with the AFL ruling him eligible to sign with the Bombers under new rookie rules.

The rules mean any player who retired, delisted himself or was delisted and spent a year out of the AFL becomes a free agent-of-sorts.

It is a similar arrangement that will allow Shane Mumford to come out of retirement and rejoin Greater Western Sydney without the risk of a rival team swooping in the draft.

They have the opportunity to sign as Category A rookies in the pre-season supplemental selection period between December 1 and March 15, after next week's drafts are over.

Clarke, 28, doesn't qualify as a delisted free agent because he spent a season out of the AFL, but the new rules are effectively an extension of that status.

Any player delisted in a previous year qualifies to sign with any club in the SSP, but teams cannot cut a footballer then re-recruit them via this method in the same year.

The only scenario where that could happen is if that player goes undrafted before the SSP.

That means clubs still risk losing a player when they delist them with a promise to re-rookie them.

What will likely become known as the Mumford rule allows the same luxury for a retired footballer and/or a player that delisted himself and has not been on an AFL list for at least one year.

A player that retires cannot sign in the SSP in the same year unless they nominate and are overlooked in the drafts.

However, a player that nominated for and was not selected in the National Draft and committed for a further year as a 19-year-old in a Northern Academy or Next Generation Academy is not eligible for SSP selection.

Moore and Grundy are both listed as 203cm and 102kg. Grundy does have a lower Centre if gravity though.

This does seem to suggest that we should be able to "reclaim" Marsh under this new rule, as long as they have worded it correctly where it says "a retired footballer and/or a player that delisted himself and has not been on an AFL list for at least one year". Though if he is eligible I find it a bit odd that he hasn't at least been mentioned in the Clarke/Mumford/new rule articles!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-15/new-rookie-rules-clarke-mumford-free-to-join-club-of-choice

FORMER Fremantle ruck-forward Zac Clarke is one step closer to joining Essendon, with the AFL ruling him eligible to sign with the Bombers under new rookie rules.

The rules mean any player who retired, delisted himself or was delisted and spent a year out of the AFL becomes a free agent-of-sorts.

It is a similar arrangement that will allow Shane Mumford to come out of retirement and rejoin Greater Western Sydney without the risk of a rival team swooping in the draft.

They have the opportunity to sign as Category A rookies in the pre-season supplemental selection period between December 1 and March 15, after next week's drafts are over.

Clarke, 28, doesn't qualify as a delisted free agent because he spent a season out of the AFL, but the new rules are effectively an extension of that status.

Any player delisted in a previous year qualifies to sign with any club in the SSP, but teams cannot cut a footballer then re-recruit them via this method in the same year.

The only scenario where that could happen is if that player goes undrafted before the SSP.

That means clubs still risk losing a player when they delist them with a promise to re-rookie them.

What will likely become known as the Mumford rule allows the same luxury for a retired footballer and/or a player that delisted himself and has not been on an AFL list for at least one year.

A player that retires cannot sign in the SSP in the same year unless they nominate and are overlooked in the drafts.

However, a player that nominated for and was not selected in the National Draft and committed for a further year as a 19-year-old in a Northern Academy or Next Generation Academy is not eligible for SSP selection.
Seems to somewhat contradict the ruling on Collins, but then again it's not unlike the AFL to change rules on the fly.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/free-agent-target-collins-sent-to-the-draft-20180813-p4zx9t.html
https://outline.com/4DFrwa
Clubs had believed that Collins, 24 – who has been described by recruiters as "a marking machine" – would be available as a delisted free agent this year and could simply sign with the club of his choice, due to the "free agent for life" rule that the AFL had agreed to introduce.

But, amid confusion about Collins' status, the AFL has confirmed that the ex-Docker defender – who leads the VFL in intercept marks and intercept possessions and took 10 contested marks against Coburg nine days ago – will have to be recruited via the draft.

But while clubs believed that rule had come into effect this year, the AFL clarified recently that it would not apply until 2019 – meaning that Collins will have to enter the draft, where recruiters believe he could be picked as early as the second round.

Seems to somewhat contradict the ruling on Collins, but then again it's not unlike the AFL to change rules on the fly.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/free-agent-target-collins-sent-to-the-draft-20180813-p4zx9t.html
https://outline.com/4DFrwa
Yes, it's still not at all clear. I did like the bit in the article (AFL website one) that said "What will likely become known as the Mumford rule"! The one thing you could count on once this rule change was talked about was that it would allow Mumford to make it back to GWS outside of the draft!!

Doubt they'll put more upper body weight on him with his dodgy hammies

I think he'll continue to build. That may not mean too much more additional weight. Interesting to see if it will have any impact on the hammies which seem from the outside looking in to have more synergy with his growth spurt than weight. I'd be more concerned that it may impact his agility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back