Expansion Joondalup Falcons in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

While Canberra and NT would be a great choice for a national comp. Same issues arise as the new east coast teams.

Canberra is a drain in money. Who props them up?

WA3 will get 2/11 home games 50k plus.

They get a go home factor in the good way. That NT and Canberra won’t.

They can draft kids to stay home from the start and they won’t have what GC and GWS have had from the start.

They have a new stadium already.

They can play around with a new time slot of late Saturday night games. If it works more $$ come TV rights.

The would have sponsors straight away with cash.

WA3 is the only option. Marketing team has one hell of a job

Former CEO Andrew Demetriou mentioned a third AFL team back in December 2009 just before GC and GWS entered the AFL

Demetriou's judgement on new teams and expansion is probably the worst in sport. In saying that, WA3 could be nice, I dunno if West coast and Freo have had too much head start though.

How would Canberra be a drain on money?

A Canberra AFL team would immediately be the biggest team in Canberra, bigger than the Suns or GWS. I'd expect Canberra to be eventually be bigger than Tasmania.

By the time Team 20 comes in, Greater Canberra will have 650k people. The Capital Region will be 800k-plus. It's the wealthiest city, has the most disposable income, and is full of public servants we free weekends.

A Canberra team would also get $3m-plus a year of government funding. Wouldn't expect the WA government to contribute that for a third team.

A Canberra team also grows the pie. It brings more followers to the code; it's more valuable to the broadcast deal. A WA3 team isn't going to create a larger audience watching the footy; everybody who will support a third team is already watching footy.

They get a go home factor in the good way. That NT and Canberra won’t.

They can draft kids to stay home from the start and they won’t have what GC and GWS have had from the start.

There's about 38 AFL-listed players from Canberra and southern NSW.

There are 33 AFL-listed players from Canberra and southern NSW who have been connected to GWS, either being listed or through their academy. Only nine of them are still with GWS. Almost three quarters of them are now playing for other teams.

The Riverina-Murray is a huge footy factory, but it's not close to any AFL team. For many players, Melbourne clubs are actually closer to home than Homebush is. Just physically being in NSW doesn't make it a home team.

A Canberra club wouldn't have the retention issues of GWS. It would be within a few hours' drive for many players' families, and provide a similar outdoor lifestyle to the ones they've grown up with (similar to Geelong).

Perth giants
Canberra kangaroos
Northern Australia buffaloes

So creating one new club but getting better coverage across Australia. For some reason I like the black and orange team in Perth as a good contrast to the blue and purple 😅, plus the giants are relatively inoffensive so would get adopted by the locals no issues.

Last edited:
Wasn't that in 1999 when they attempted to be Sydney's second team?

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think it was slightly before that. When they tried to enter the Sydney market they just went in as "The Kangaroos".

Would be interesting to see, if they were successful, on how two relocated clubs would have faired in the NSW market. "Western Sydney Kangaroos"

Wasn't that in 1999 when they attempted to be Sydney's second team?

They didn't attempt anything.
NM were linked with the GC, Sydney and Canberra at various times
but management said that they were never moving so people, quite rightly treated them like exhibitionists.
To their credit NM were honest but that's not how you play the game or fair on evaluating their chances of relocating.

WA3 is the only team that makes sense. WA is the second biggest football state outside of Victoria. Tonnes of West Australians still support Victorian teams, like my self. These people love footy and don't regularly get to attend games live. I reckon with cheap members seats available you'd see a lot of WA-based Victorian supporting people sign up to be able to see a game of footy every second week. Use the seat to watch their Victorian team play here and treat the WA3 side as their 'second team' - over time some may even convert. Kids who never have a shot at landing an Eagles membership will sign up for WA3 and be big fans within 15 years.

WA3 would s**t on GC and GWS for economics, fans etc within a decade.

WA3 is the ONLY way to go and people suggesting NT or Qlnd3 teams are brain dead in my opinion - Canberra maybe but it will be a perennial 10,000 members max team.

WA3 is the only team that makes sense. WA is the second biggest football state outside of Victoria. Tonnes of West Australians still support Victorian teams, like my self. These people love footy and don't regularly get to attend games live. I reckon with cheap members seats available you'd see a lot of WA-based Victorian supporting people sign up to be able to see a game of footy every second week. Use the seat to watch their Victorian team play here and treat the WA3 side as their 'second team' - over time some may even convert. Kids who never have a shot at landing an Eagles membership will sign up for WA3 and be big fans within 15 years.

WA3 would s**t on GC and GWS for economics, fans etc within a decade.

WA3 is the ONLY way to go and people suggesting NT or Qlnd3 teams are brain dead in my opinion - Canberra maybe but it will be a perennial 10,000 members max team.

How many you reckon? Lets for the sake of the conversation say there is 500k of football supporters in WA, how many of those support a Vic club? I reckon it would be about 2%. Maybe 5% at best. Certainly not tonnes as you put it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many you reckon? Lets for the sake of the conversation say there is 500k of football supporters in WA, how many of those support a Vic club? I reckon it would be about 2%. Maybe 5% at best. Certainly not tonnes as you put it.
I'd say that estimate is astoundingly low. I think it would be closer to 100,000 non-Western Australian supporting fans. There is at least 10,000 Carlton fans in Western Australia, let alone all the rest.

Canberra makes way more sense.

How would Canberra be a drain on money?
Public servants get their income from somewhere, i guess?

A Canberra AFL team would immediately be the biggest team in Canberra, bigger than the Suns or GWS. I'd expect Canberra to be eventually be bigger than Tasmania.

By the time Team 20 comes in, Greater Canberra will have 650k people. The Capital Region will be 800k-plus. It's the wealthiest city, has the most disposable income, and is full of public servants we free weekends.

A Canberra team would also get $3m-plus a year of government funding. Wouldn't expect the WA government to contribute that for a third team.

A Canberra team also grows the pie. It brings more followers to the code; it's more valuable to the broadcast deal. A WA3 team isn't going to create a larger audience watching the footy; everybody who will support a third team is already watching footy.

There's about 38 AFL-listed players from Canberra and southern NSW.

There are 33 AFL-listed players from Canberra and southern NSW who have been connected to GWS, either being listed or through their academy. Only nine of them are still with GWS. Almost three quarters of them are now playing for other teams.

The Riverina-Murray is a huge footy factory, but it's not close to any AFL team. For many players, Melbourne clubs are actually closer to home than Homebush is. Just physically being in NSW doesn't make it a home team.

A Canberra club wouldn't have the retention issues of GWS. It would be within a few hours' drive for many players' families, and provide a similar outdoor lifestyle to the ones they've grown up with (similar to Geelong).

Canberra is projected to reach 650k in 2050. Population growth is an argument against it not for it, in the same time ACT adds 200k residents WA will add 1.2 million. If GWS becomes successful, then by the time Canberra is 650k the AFL would look not to Canberra but to Sydney.

Simply put Tasmania and the territories are too small and growing too slowly to justify their own teams. I know the passion local supporters have for football and the boost the economy & social aspects of the cities can't be understated.

From a talent perspective Tasmania, NT & ACT need to produce 3-4 players a year who have long term careers otherwise they're a drain on the talent pool. WA currently exports more players than it imports from other states and it's subsidizing the talent differential coming out of NSW and Queensland. While this will change quickly it doesn't justify propping up two teams that doesn't and won't have the population to draw on to grow the game.

Yes they will never allow it to happen
In the short term absolutely. In the long term a third team in Perth is an inevitable outcome of demographic growth in a state with little cultural competition from other football competitions & codes.

I'd say that estimate is astoundingly low. I think it would be closer to 100,000 non-Western Australian supporting fans. There is at least 10,000 Carlton fans in Western Australia, let alone all the rest.

If you think it is 100k then I reckon there is over 1million genuine footy supporters in WA. I agree that Carlton and North Melb in particular have a good following in WA but it drops off pretty quick.
Anyway it doesn't really matter as its good for footy having many fans.

Perth giants
Canberra kangaroos
Northern Australia buffaloes

So creating one new club but getting better coverage across Australia. For some reason I like the black and orange team in Perth as a good contrast to the blue and purple 😅, plus the giants are relatively inoffensive so would get adopted by the locals no issues.
What about the Darwin Dankweapons oops Bombers you can have your medial rooms next to new ground

I tend to agree with this theory, a 3rd WA side would draw on not just on existing fans of WCE and Freo but will attract Westralians who don't barrack for either.

Can see the same thing happening in SA too down the line.

I'm actually growing to the idea of w.a 3. I still want a team in Canberra though, so would like to see the kangaroos relocate there whilst also retaining 2 Melbourne home games

No financial forecasting is part of this proposal, but other threads on this website have considered if a Canberra team would be stronger if it incorporated the entire Riverina. Wagga and Albury in particular is a large population area.

9 home games a season in Canberra plus one in Wagga and one in Albury.

Converting supporters of exisiting sides would be the challenge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back