Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will either make or break Jordan's career.

Hopefully the former.

I dare say the working a 9-5 job for 4 weeks is to remind him of the privileged position he finds himself in.

and Give him Less Spare Time

Struth that’s one huge lettuce leaf.. SMACK!

Bad Call from Me!

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com%2Fvms-tv-images-prod%2F2017%2F09%2F95846%2FCaro-provides-the-latest-on-Ken-Hinkleys-contract-extension.00_02_01_23.Still001.jpg

When the footy season starts this will be forgotten about, so I reckon he gets recalled for about Round 2/3, and obviously he doesn't have to play x amount of vfl games this time.

No doubting there is hard work involved. Happy for you to point me to any career that doesn't require hard work and just off the top of my head I can't think of 2 many that'll provide that sort of nest egg into a future life after 5 year.

But yet you want extra penalties because they worked hard, had talent and were successful.

Big difference to most careers is after 5 years it's over. That's the big one most of them go back to Joe everyday lives with the same bills etc we all have with a healthy house deposit. I am not sure that takes them that far out of normality. Certainly not ahead in the long term compared to 10,000's of 18 years olds that enter university each year in courses that lead to lucrative long term careers. Just wondering why its this 600 people posters want to be so punitive to.

And Collingwood have just gone crazy with the $10K fine and $10 K donation. A disgrace.

But yet you want extra penalties because they worked hard, had talent and were successful.

Big difference to most careers is after 5 years it's over. That's the big one most of them go back to Joe everyday lives with the same bills etc we all have with a healthy house deposit. I am not sure that takes them that far out of normality. Certainly not ahead in the long term compared to 10,000's of 18 years olds that enter university each year in courses that lead to lucrative long term careers. Just wondering why its this 600 people posters want to be so punitive to.

And Collingwood have just gone crazy with the $10K fine and $10 K donation. A disgrace.

It says DeGoey volunteered the further 10K donation.

I would have preferred for Jordy to miss no football but if this is what it takes for the penny to drop I can live with it.

I'll be filthy if this costs us any games in the first month

He's not a game breaker yet..

Dare say Stephenson is locked into a Round 1 debut now.

After a series of meetings between Collingwood and Jordan De Goey on Monday, it has been agreed that Jordan will remain a senior listed Collingwood player on the following terms:

- Jordan will not drink alcohol at least until the season’s end, when this decision will be reviewed.

- Jordan has made a commitment to enlist the assistance of medical professionals to help him improve his decision making.

- Jordan has agreed to make significant changes to his social life and associations, a pledge the club supports and will monitor.

In relation to Jordan’s drink driving conviction last Saturday evening, it has been agreed that the following will also apply:

- An indefinite suspension from AFL selection. When Jordan has convinced his peers and coaches that meaningful change has occurred, and that his standards have risen to those of the group, he will become available for selection.

- A fine of $10,000. Jordan has also offered to make a further $10,000 donation to a charity, a gesture the club acknowledges and supports.

- Jordan will be required to undertake employment away from the club for a period of not less than four weeks. During this time he will train in the evenings with the Collingwood VFL squad.

- Jordan will take on a meaningful role with a charitable organisation, a position that will be monitored by the club.

All of the above were agreed to after meetings between Jordan and the Collingwood leadership group and Jordan, his manager, and senior club officials.

Collingwood General Manager of Football, Geoff Walsh, said the outcomes provide Jordan with an unmistakeable message but also an unmistakeable opportunity.

"Jordan can have a long career with Collingwood if he commits himself wholly to his football but he could also have a very short career if he doesn’t," Walsh said.

"The club, and particularly his teammates, want to see behavioural change. They need to be able to trust him and believe in him.

"Jordan can win back the faith he has lost over a period of time and have a very good career if he honours all that he has agreed to today. He is telling us he wants to change. The time for talking is over."

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2018-02-19/club-statement-jordan-de-goey
There seems to be more issues with Jordan than just drink driving offence.
Maybe more going on behind the scenes than we know.

For anyone saying this is solely a police matter, you have to remember that we are trying to be role models. If we don't have any punishment whatsoever, there is no proof that we are condemning this behaviour. We have values and a reputation to uphold.

Footballers as role models is overrated.

How is a 22 year-old with limited life experience meant to impart life wisdom upon us or our kids?

Great that they can entertain by kicking a footy or impress by being courageous, but anything more is unrealistic and possibly living vicariously.

Well, I mean just look around at all the women coming out accusing actors of sexual harassment. Actors are losing jobs over allegations, let alone anything that's been proven to be illegal.

Again, I'm not arguing one way or another. I've come to realise it's just part and parcel with being a celebrity. Sporting or otherwise.
Much more delicate area but any allegations involving non consensual sexual abuse come under criminal convictions so at an altoghther different level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Making him work for 4 weeks is a smarter punishment than what people will give the club credit for.

Very clever in my opinion. These guys will never know the mind numbing, depressing labour working a regular 9-5 is. Giving a footballer a taste of that could whip them into shape quick smart.

No PR spin there. I am sure he came up with that on his own without any subtle pressure.

I'm not sure the club is trying to make Jordan come out looking good in all this.

If they wanted 20K out of his pocket, they would have come out and said it, they've whacked him with everything else!

I trust that wasn't spin imo.

This will either make or break Jordan's career.

Hopefully the former.

I dare say the working a 9-5 job for 4 weeks is to remind him of the privileged position he finds himself in.

The work thing is a really good idea. Evidently the Melbourne Storm require every new player who arrives at their club regardless of who they are to work a normal job in Melbourne for 2-4 weeks. Even Sam Kasiano and Ryan Hoffman were required to do it during the offseason. And no one can argue that the Storm have a very successful sporting culture.

I’m actually not sure why clubs don’t do more around requiring players to have jobs or undertake training in their spare time. There was talk about clubs doing that a few years ago to stop young men with lots of time and money on their hands and to help prepare them for their post football lives whenever that comes. That seems to have fallen by the wayside over the last few years by all clubs.

Rubbish decision by our Club today.........yeah that's right Jordan agreed to it all.

Wow. We're not kidding around. Will be interesting to see how long indefinite is
The thing about going with an indefinite suspension is the club isn’t locked into a time frame as to when he comes back. It’s possible he could still play round 1 (not likely but possible) because the club hasn’t backed themselves into a corner like they did last year.

I'm not sure the club is trying to make Jordan come out looking good in all this.

If they wanted 20K out of his pocket, they would have come out and said it, they've whacked him with everything else!

I trust that wasn't spin imo.
I suspect $10K is the maximum they can fine him. At least from the info sideswipe gave us the donation will be tax deductable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back