Player Watch Jordan De Goey (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad coaches dont get you to Grand Finals.
Strongly disagree. You can have a great starting 18 players that can mask a tactically inept coach.

I know it is another sport, but Melbourne Victory under Kevin Muscat is the perfect example.
He had only one formation. He often would not make substitutes until after at 80th minute. And whenever he did make a change it was always position for position, left back for left back, defensive midfield for defensive midfield, etc. Doesn’t matter if the team is behind on the score board and their is a striker on the bench, he wouldn’t put a striker on for a defender or even a midfield, because he didn’t want to break from his tried and tested formation.

I think it’s quite clear under Buckley’s 9+ years in charge that he is way too ridged in his ways. He is tactically inept to do deal adversity. If another team gets on a role, he is not proactive in making changes.
And when he does a reactive change, like taking Quaynor off Greene, it is often done way too late.

Give the bloke time in the middle. Everyone expects him to go in there and dominate straight away it just won’t happen. Needs time at AFL level playing that role, it’s where he is best suited to playing. We rely on him up forward way too much and he is not a great forward
He can kick some terrible finger breaking mongrel punts when he plays in the midfield. He is so frustrating to watch. He can be sublime and substandard during a ten minute block. How do you deal with that?

He can kick some terrible finger breaking mongrel punts when he plays in the midfield. He is so frustrating to watch. He can be sublime and substandard during a ten minute block. How do you deal with that?
No doubt he has the ability to * things up but it’s about learning the position learning his limitations. He isn’t going to be a gun mid over night but then again we aren’t playing finals this year so it’s more about building for the future

He plays predominantly forward because we have no other match winners
Our ball movement forward sucks thus he won’t have impact as frequently as we don’t move the ball fast or with precision

He should be playing on ball considering our mids are constantly touched up weekly despite Grundy’s ruck dominance.

We should be looking to transform our midfield and forward lines
De Goey and Maynard spending more full time minutes—they have hunger and hunt the ball
Our current mids are just happy to rack up stats and circle work

Play Henry and Macrae along with Will Kelly and Mcreery in attack
Sidebottom should be permanent forward too.

At the end of 2018, most had JDG and Heeney as the two best of that draft. Heeney hasn't kicked on as much as expected either.

De Goey rates himself a superstar but he is getting further and further away from that every year.

Never been AA and probably never will be at this rate.

Lol, Heeney is a superstar, just been injured all of 2020.

De Goey rates himself a superstar but he is getting further and further away from that every year.

Heeney and De Goey are as comparable as anything. Superstar you say?

Heeney and De Goey are as comparable as anything. Superstar you say?

Heeney suffered a very serious injury in 2020 and spent the whole year and nearly the entire 2021 pre-season recovering from it, he is a long way from his best right now.

I would take Heeney over De Goey any day, similar ability as forwards but Heeney the better and more consistent mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heeney suffered a very serious injury in 2020 and spent the whole year and nearly the entire 2021 pre-season recovering from it, he is a long way from his best right now.
His best has then never appeared, as he's playing as good as ever. Grass is always greener with you, isn't it?

His best has then never appeared, as he's playing as good as ever. Grass is always greener with you, isn't it?

The point is De Goey is requesting a million dollar salary yet is doing 2 fifths of jack-all most weeks and it's been that way for a while. Turns up to preseason out of shape and during games often takes the easy option.

Heeney also finished higher in the past 3 best and fairests than De Goey (excluding 2020 when injured), so I guess the coaches agree with me... but what would they know?

Heeney's a good player. His best year was 20 possession 1 goal average. His production has been good, but he hasn't become the superstar yet that I thought he'd become. Petracca has gone miles past him.

The point is De Goey is requesting a million dollar salary yet is doing 2 fifths of jack-all most weeks and it's been that way for a while. Turns up to preseason out of shape and during games often takes the easy option.

Heeney also finished higher in the past 3 best and fairests than De Goey (excluding 2020 when injured), so I guess the coaches agree with me... but what would they know?
Hooray for finishing higher in the B&F on two bottom 4 teams and one team that made finals

and what's De Goey's best BnF finish?
Not sure how this is relevant at all. First you posit that Heeney is a superstar - he clearly isn't, and JDG is 100% his equal at worst. Now you're going off on some B&F tangent to prove... what? That Heeney is not a superstar either, because he hasn't won a B&F?

Out of contract end 2022 and restricted free agent.

I doubt it after his court case at years end... but if another club offered him a decent deal, I’d be interested in knowing what the compensation pick in the 2022 draft for would be

Not sure how this is relevant at all. First you posit that Heeney is a superstar - he clearly isn't, and JDG is 100% his equal at worst. Now you're going off on some B&F tangent to prove... what? That Heeney is not a superstar either, because he hasn't won a B&F?

Okay, so you ignore the entire thread and focus on 1 word? Fine, Heeney is not a superstar, now will you discuss the actual topic?

He probably was requesting a million dollar salary. At the end of 2018, JDG was the 'it' kid. The whole football world was gaga, with articles about him becoming the best player in the game. North supposedly offered him that sort of money. It's now pretty clear that we all misread his trajectory and he's not worth anywhere near that much money. But you can hardly blame him for asking for that sort of money when another club was supposedly offering him that sort of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back