List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North II - It's Over

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we can find a way of getting him cheaply then it's a no brainer. He's still young and would be perfect for one of our wings

He'll be FA provided we can satisfy GWS's with band 1 compo, which means at least 1-2 years would be on $850K plus, and then I suspect his contract would be modified.

If we are even a smidge of a chance of getting Josh we should jump at it. Don’t pay crazy money but blokes like that aren’t going to come cheap and we would be a much better football club with josh setting the standards for Thomas, LDU, JY, Stevo, Powell, Horne and Phillips. We have a lack of leaders in the midfield. Ben10 for all his brilliance isn’t setting standards at training because he is so talented amd strong he doesn’t need to work hard. Kelly would show them what it really takes to be elite.

If we are even a smidge of a chance of getting Josh we should jump at it. Don’t pay crazy money but blokes like that aren’t going to come cheap and we would be a much better football club with josh setting the standards for Thomas, LDU, JY, Stevo, Powell, Horne and Phillips. We have a lack of leaders in the midfield. Ben10 for all his brilliance isn’t setting standards at training because he is so talented amd strong he doesn’t need to work hard. Kelly would show them what it really takes to be elite.
Agree he would be fantastic for our younger guys

There’s talk of him restructuring his gws deal if he stays

money isn’t the main issue here, although it helps that we can afford him

it’s about whether he wants to play out his career in Sydney or around family and friends back home in Vic
I wouldn't bother replying to stupid ignorant posts like that (meaning his, not yours)

I prefer we go after Z Merrett- free agent. Perfect for our midfield.
I doubt he is going anywhere so would be chasing a player that would only waste your time on chasing more realistic targets.

Could be wrong about that though but IMO seems more like a target that will stay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s talk of him restructuring his gws deal if he stays

money isn’t the main issue here, although it helps that we can afford him

it’s about whether he wants to play out his career in Sydney or around family and friends back home in Vic

"There is talk"? Sounds like Barrett and Wilson language. Who is talking? :stern look

Not having a go at you, a lot of people in the media are just guessing.

I think Carr laid out the game plan a few years ago, when he said chase success early on, make the sacrifice and then go for the money afterwards. The success didn't come but this is his last hurrah to chase the money and he has GWS who agreed to the most ludicrous of terms giving him a trigger of 8x $1 mil.

Carr was perfectly clear, you have to make sacrifices for success. Nobody that is chronically overpaying their players is going to have any success, look how quickly it unravelled for Collingwood. GWS made a massive mistake giving Kelly that trigger, if his option is stay in Sydney on $1m a year and have no success or negotiate down and go to some uncompetitive club at $750k a year and have no success, why would anyone sane agree to that? Let me lose $250k a year to go from a mediocre club to a worse one... He would be an idiot if he agreed to that. He would lose $2m over 8 years, that is almost Ben Brown levels of shooting yourself in the foot with a contract that was on the table.

We were dumb to offer that stupid money in the first place years ago, GWS were dumb to offer him the trigger, lets just move on and stop making dumb decisions.

He is probably more valuable to us sabotaging GWS for the next 8 years as they haemorrhage young players if he triggers his contract extension with GWS. GWS got him to stay by paying under market value by putting forth that horrible trigger, they deserved to get burned by it.

"There is talk"? Sounds like Barrett and Wilson language. Who is talking? :stern look

Not having a go at you, a lot of people in the media are just guessing.

I think Carr laid out the game plan a few years ago, when he said chase success early on, make the sacrifice and then go for the money afterwards. The success didn't come but this is his last hurrah to chase the money and he has GWS who agreed to the most ludicrous of terms giving him a trigger of 8x $1 mil.

Carr was perfectly clear, you have to make sacrifices for success. Nobody that is chronically overpaying their players is going to have any success, look how quickly it unravelled for Collingwood. GWS made a massive mistake giving Kelly that trigger, if his option is stay in Sydney on $1m a year and have no success or negotiate down and go to some uncompetitive club at $750k a year and have no success, why would anyone sane agree to that? Let me lose $250k a year to go from a mediocre club to a worse one... He would be an idiot if he agreed to that. He would lose $2m over 8 years, that is almost Ben Brown levels of shooting yourself in the foot with a contract that was on the table.

We were dumb to offer that stupid money in the first place years ago, GWS were dumb to offer him the trigger, lets just move on and stop making dumb decisions.

He is probably more valuable to us sabotaging GWS for the next 8 years as they haemorrhage young players if he triggers his contract extension with GWS. GWS got him to stay by paying under market value by putting forth that horrible trigger, they deserved to get burned by it.

Great post.

He's a good player , but hasn't kicked on to the level everyone thought he would.

He's had injuries etc, but it is what it is.

He's probably a 500 - 550k player atm , not a 750k one and def not even close to seven figures.

I'm guessing Cunners is on 550-600k. That gives some context. Don't let the idiotic money Joyce/Scott were throwing around distort our current reality.

When we are challenging in 3 years, let's look at him then as icing for a compromised wage, for him chasing success.

The hard thing is - and it's harsh but fair - is that the VAST majority of very good to elite players who are either FA's or coming up for contract renewal will not want to come to a team that has bottomed out/is rebuilding/is in a location of mediocrity. It's not a slight on the club in that position or anything like that, but these guys want success and want it as soon as they can get it.

Every now and then you'll get a player who will move for the added security/$$$/family reasons - or a combination of those (e.g. Polec, Saad, etc) but they're few and far between.

At this stage we're better off hitting the drafts (both national and mid-season) for the next few years, picking up some complementary players (age and need) with some astute trading (e.g. Stephenson) and once we've started to hit our straps, then start looking at these guys to really bolster the list for the next stage of development.

We want these guys coming for the right reasons, not just for a great pay day.

But, but.... Free agency wasn't designed to be like this?!?!

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ben Cunnington doesn’t work hard at training? That’s ridiculous.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

He'll be FA provided we can satisfy GWS's with band 1 compo, which means at least 1-2 years would be on $850K plus, and then I suspect his contract would be modified.
I fear the afl would hand over pick 1 to the expansion club, Kelly for Horne no thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back