List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North II - It's Over

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I thought rather than bore everyone witless on the Trent Dumont thread, thought we'd better close out the eternal JK to North conversation where it belongs, so tags here for the various contributors - Devington LuvtheKangas TennisPlayerAndy and Usayed Givashe.

Indulge me with an attempt at a summary:

1. the uncontested media coverage is that Kelly has an option on an 8 year contract at GWS on what's reported to be $1m a year

2. TennisPlayerAndy rightly points out the collective agreement prohibits either party from holding an option on an extension

3. Devington points out the JK contract could be written in the reverse (which accords with the media coverage) - that is, Kelly signed a ten year contract, with unilateral rights for him to terminate at 2 years, which if he fails to exercise, means GWS are up for the remaining 8

4. this makes sense from Kelly's perspective, because it puts a floor under free agency bargaining for him, but also gives him the option to bail out - he might do this for a couple of reasons, the most obvious being coming back to Melbourne and/or going to a club in contention

5. if this scenario holds water (and it's the only one that makes sense relative to the accepted media narrative that the 8 years at a mill is there for him), then for him to come to North, either (a) we have to agree to match the money, or (b) he has to take a pay cut

6. I don't think (a) - matching - is going to happen, because a 27 year old for 8 years doesn't fit the list strategy

7. and as for (b) - Kelly takes a pay cut - well, all I can say is, good luck with that

that's it for me - won't be back on this topic coz it ain't happening
You old romantic ;)

So I thought rather than bore everyone witless on the Trent Dumont thread, thought we'd better close out the eternal JK to North conversation where it belongs, so tags here for the various contributors - Devington LuvtheKangas TennisPlayerAndy and Usayed Givashe.

1. the uncontested media coverage is that Kelly has an option on an 8 year contract at GWS on what's reported to be $1m a year

2. TennisPlayerAndy rightly points out the collective agreement prohibits either party from holding an option on an extension

3. Devington points out the JK contract could be written in the reverse (which accords with the media coverage) - that is, Kelly signed a ten year contract, with unilateral rights for him to terminate at 2 years, which if he fails to exercise, means GWS are up for the remaining 8

4. this makes sense from Kelly's perspective, because it puts a floor under free agency bargaining for him, but also gives him the option to bail out - he might do this for a couple of reasons, the most obvious being coming back to Melbourne and/or going to a club in contention

5. if this scenario holds water (and it's the only one that makes sense relative to the accepted media narrative that the 8 years at a mill is there for him), then for him to come to North, either (a) we have to agree to match the money, or (b) he has to take a pay cut

6. I don't think (a) - matching - is going to happen, because a 27 year old for 8 years doesn't fit the list strategy

7. and as for (b) - Kelly takes a pay cut - well, all I can say is, good luck with that

Its just a bit of banter...

I feel like the tone has matured to a great space

People aren't all in anymore, very realistic, he probably wont come, thats fine - good luck Josh..

But he could, so ...banter banter banter

You old romantic ;)
Can you believe that idiot wants input from me - you’ve sat next to me at the footy - describe to us the insights you picked up outside of me serenading you in Argentinian Football Songs with the words changed to incorporate the mighty NMFC!

Not even if it does happen?

I reckon you might well be back if that's the case.

Not even if it does happen?

I reckon you might well be back if that's the case.
Not at all - I've learnt from the experts - if things come to pass that you proved in advance could never happen, you just go back and delete all the incriminating posts.

Either that or change your username

Not at all - I've learnt from the experts - if things come to pass that you proved in advance could never happen, you just go back and delete all the incriminating posts.

Wouldn't you just get another username.:)

Can you believe that idiot wants input from me - you’ve sat next to me at the footy - describe to us the insights you picked up outside of me serenading you in Argentinian Football Songs with the words changed to incorporate the mighty NMFC!
I've always found you most insightful, I have also been fairly pissed ;)

Heh.

I won't be at ALL surprised if/when Josh lobs at the season's end.

I find this collective self-flagellation about Kelly one part amusing, and one part peculiar - just how would spending $1million a year for 8 years on a player turning 27 next February fit into the current list strategy? People do know that Kelly's career stats are going backwards?

The above is what I was reacting to in the Dumont thread.

Below suggests you've re-considered the above.

It's no biggie, but my original point stands, i.e. it is incorrect to suggest that North would be paying $1m p.a. over 8 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The above is what I was reacting to in the Dumont thread.

Below suggests you've re-considered the above.

It's no biggie, but my original point stands, i.e. it is incorrect to suggest that North would be paying $1m p.a. over 8 years.
indeed, all good, and I didn't mean to come across as a smart arse in the Dumont thread; everyone's entitled to a view, I just don't think the Kelly thing is going to happen (or worth the money if it does). Time will tell

Sam Edmund just bringing out the whole North and * can afford him, not actually linking him to us.

I have heard tell from decent enough sources that he's definitely out of GWS.

Not definite to us though. But we're in the front rank of clubs who he will go to.

They can't keep him AND Cogs and to force Cogs out would be a Treloar like move that would really hurt them.

Kelly can go easily.

I don't get it, Sam. He has old friends in Corr and Bonar at North...

Oh, if that wasn't enough, the whole FS thing probably isn't relevant?

I don't get it, Sam. He has old friends in Corr and Bonar at North...

Oh, if that wasn't enough, the whole FS thing probably isn't relevant?

He doesn't want to be seen to be sympathizing with either party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back