Josh Kelly vs Zach Merrett

Who would you rather?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't agree with that.

I'd say Merrett has had the better career in almost all aspects expect goal kicking as he is playing more up the ground. Also think that Merrett's disposals are more damaging, especially with how he controls the game with his kicking. Merrett is ahead so far, but Kelly has closed the gap this year.
I phrased it wrong- I think Kelly will be on a different level. Merrett the better performed over the (short) journey, completely agree.

Kelly only needs to get loose a few times and he cuts you up. As a junior he was also a gut runner - really good endurance. With another pre-season under his belt, he will run any tagger into the ground.
One would've thought the same about Deledio - he can hurt the opposition with a few touches and he's an elite runner - but his inability to play through a tag, probably a physicality issue, precluded him from being one of the league's very best players. I think there are a fair few similarities between Kelly and Deledio. Who knows at this stage how Kelly will handle a tag.

One would've thought the same about Deledio - he can hurt the opposition with a few touches and he's an elite runner - but his inability to play through a tag, probably a physicality issue, precluded him from being one of the league's very best players. I think there are a fair few similarities between Kelly and Deledio. Who knows at this stage how Kelly will handle a tag.

Kelly has no issues surrounding physicality. He is as good on the inside - as he is on the outside. Elite runner, does not waste the ball. More polished - and versatile - than Deledio.

Very tight IMO.

I think Merrett is more damaging with his possessions and Kelly is more damaging on the scoreboard.

Kelly is slightly more contested this year and Merrett controls the play more with his kicking.

I'd go with Merrett. Think Merrett had the better career so far.
Lol its Kelly and its not close

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kelly has no issues surrounding physicality. He is as good on the inside - as he is on the outside. Elite runner, does not waste the ball. More polished - and versatile - than Deledio.

Not sure how Kelly is more versatile than Deledio. Deledio has him for size and athleticism allowing to pinch hit as a 3rd tall forward whilst covering all the positions Kelly can play.

Kelly is the more natural rover and reads the ball better off of hands however.

Kelly always struck me as an exact replica of Dal Santo
As good a career as Dal had, this is selling Kelly short. If he does end up at that level, no worries, the Giants (or Roos!) will be happy. But his ceiling is much higher than Dal Santo.

Dons supporters underating Kelly. He is an absolute gun and has probably performed slightly better than Merrett this season however Merrett is an absolute gun and wouldn't trade him for Kely and I'm sure Giants fans wouldn't do the deal either. Zach was a massive steal at 26 for us and we also managed to pick up Fantasia with Pick 55 that year.

Dons supporters underating Kelly. He is an absolute gun and has probably performed slightly better than Merrett this season however Merrett is an absolute gun and wouldn't trade him for Kely and I'm sure Giants fans wouldn't do the deal either. Zach was a massive steal at 26 for us and we also managed to pick up Fantasia with Pick 55 that year.
I don't think that I'm underrating him by not just assuming that he'll cope just fine with a tag. When uninhibited Deledio is one of the most damaging players in the competition; it's hardly selling Kelly short when I'm comparing him to a player that I rate very highly.

Could end up one of the best value combos we've seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand Bombers fans sticking up for their man, but Kelly has been better than Merrett in almost every way that matters this year.
Exaggerated. It's almost as if people keep forgetting about Merrett's performance this year. Merrett has had the better career. Kelly and Merrett have had an equal year so far IMO, so I don't know where you are getting "better in almost every way". Merrett is just so consistent. He might even be leading the brownlow votes so far. Another likely 3 or 2 this week depending on if Heppell will get BOG.

Exaggerated. It's almost as if people keep forgetting about Merrett's performance this year. Merrett has had the better career. Kelly and Merrett have had an equal year so far IMO, so I don't know where you are getting "better in almost every way". Merrett is just so consistent. He might even be leading the brownlow votes so far. Another likely 3 or 2 this week depending on if Heppell will get BOG.
Josh Kelly averages more goals, goal assists, tackles, contested possessions, better disposal efficiency, more effective disposals, clearances, and less clangers.

Merret is very good, would love him at eagle, just struggle to see what he brings at a higher level than Kelly.

Josh Kelly averages more goals, goal assists, tackles, contested possessions, better disposal efficiency, more effective disposals, clearances, and less clangers.

Merret is very good, would love him at eagle, just struggle to see what he brings at a higher level than Kelly.
Merrett and Kelly play different roles in the side.

Merrett plays more back of the centre because he is our best kick and sets up play. We can't afford to play him in the Josh Kelly role as a goal kicking mid because we simply do not have the quality in our midfield that Josh Kelly has. When McGrath starts to get more midfield time, we'll hopefully see Merrett play higher up the ground and hitting the scoreboard more.

Sure Kelly is more contested and Merrett more uncontested, but there is a reason for that. Merrett can win his own ball, but he is more required to set up the play with his excellent kicking and great vision. He's become very crucial to our side.

That's why stat watchers will never see the work that Merrett does. He has by far the most metres gained in the competition for a reason.

I can agree with Kelly having the better season, but only marginally.

Zach loves a cheap disposal to pad his stats. Nearly every time he receives the ball he looks for a cheap 1-2 when he could literally just keep running. Even Bombers supporters could not defend that.

Great fantasy player, not in the same league of the top mids in the game in terms of influencing a match...including Kelly.

Zach loves a cheap disposal to pad his stats. Nearly every time he receives the ball he looks for a cheap 1-2 when he could literally just keep running. Even Bombers supporters could not defend that.

Great fantasy player, not in the same league of the top mids in the game in terms of influencing a match...including Kelly.
youre_serious_futurama.gif

Utter bullshit. Merrett clearly sits up there with the top mids in the league. He's one of the best kicking midfielder in the leagues over any distance.

Utter bullshit. Merrett clearly sits up there with the top mids in the league. He's one of the best kicking midfielder in the leagues over any distance.

Sorry, but he's not close.

Over double the amount of uncontested as contested possessions, still has a lowish DE% for someone so outside, doesn't kick goals (20 odd in 70+ games). Zach is the king of padding his stats with 1-2's. Take that aspect away from him and he would be averaging about 20-25 touches a game instead of 32.

Last edited:
Sorry, but he's not close.

Over double the amount of uncontested as contested possessions, still has a lowish DE% for someone so outside, doesn't kick goals (20 odd in 70+ games). Zach is the king of padding his stats with 1-2's. Take that aspect away from him and he would be averaging about 20-25 touches a game instead of 32.

DE is a worthless stat and Merrett's is actually exceptionally high for a bloke who kicks twice as much as he handballs.

Happy to concede that Kelly is putting together the better season this year but you're whole argument is bullshit.

Back