Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardwick might be looking for a change of pace if Richmond commit to a rebuild......

Rebuild with a club that free agents go to or rebuild with a club in the most isolated capital city in the world that free agents won't consider unless they are from WA. Add in a very spotty (to be generous) list management situation and power seemingly in Bells hands. Why would he want to come?

Hardwick might be looking for a change of pace if Richmond commit to a rebuild......
The only reason we got Ross is because the Saints didn’t offer him a long term commitment.
He had an out clause, its almost impossible to get an experienced coach here, unless the coin is too good.
It’s the same with players, and why WA clubs have only Malthouse and Lyon to show for it.
Pyke should be spoken to at least.

Learning more about JLo.

Was he playing Logue correctly, did we need to trade him?

Was he really ignoring Lobb like being suggested, did we need to trade him?

Was he getting the best out of Acres, did we need to trade him?

Maybe JLo is ******* the team in more ways than one?

Learning more about JLo.

Lobb’s partner from 2021 had employment in Melbourne. This was always going to rear its head again.

Logue was offered low ball salary. JLO didn’t negotiate salaries. We came to the party eventually but by then NM had put a very large offer in front of him with the promise he would play FB every week. Logue one was the closest to staying. He made his mind up only at the start of trade week.

Acres baffles me. We basically decided we didn’t want him. I will never understand until Bell comes out clean.

The only thing I can think of is we needed a lot more cap space to sign Serong. We were up to our eyeballs with a cap limit - esp. with the commitment to LJ. Bit like Collingwood a few years ago.

My understanding with Angus Brayshaw is that we were keen but never progressed too far.

With our draw, I think the calculation is also that this season is effectively all but over, and the rebuild itself in question. The other aspect is how the issues with the game plan have been responded to.

We entered the year having traded out mature best 22 players and a couple of early round draft picks. A couple of weeks in and the club's decision making process in multiple areas rightly in question.
The point I'm making is that there any number of factors other than "Longmuir can't coach" that could explain where we're at. (and that there are a number of less disruptive actions than the simplistic reach for the ole "sack the coach" one)

Lobb’s partner from 2021 had employment in Melbourne. This was always going to rear its head again.

Logue was offered low ball salary. JLO didn’t negotiate salaries. We came to the party eventually but by then NM had put a very large offer in front of him with the promise he would play FB every week. Logue one was the closest to staying. He made his mind up only at the start of trade week.

Acres baffles me. We basically decided we didn’t want him. I will never understand until Bell comes out clean.

The only thing I can think of is we needed a lot more cap space to sign Serong. We were up to our eyeballs with a cap limit - esp. with the commitment to LJ. Bit like Collingwood a few years ago.

My understanding with Angus Brayshaw is that we were keen but never progressed too far.
If Logue was being played correctly, by a coach that knew what they were doing, then we'd value him more.

Using the form line, we have almost zero winnable games in our fixture before the round 21 return derby.

Literally won't start favourites between the Hawks and Eagles as it stands. That's scary as ****.
So you are saying I get my weekends back and it isn't even May yet? Kewl.
Monotone and uninspiring. If he stays on next year it‘s an absolute train wreck.
Perfect description. Monotone of the greyest beigey beige slightly off beige beige, with monochrome accents in the same shade of beige.
Changes are a coming..
So is death.

Acres was basically the anti-Moneyball trade. We had a player whose performance-cost ratio (for one season at least) was well in our favour. The cash-in trade would be what you would aim for if you were looking to shift some assets for some list management, but no dice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The point I'm making is that there any number of factors other than "Longmuir can't coach" that could explain where we're at. (and that there are a number of less disruptive actions than the simplistic reach for the ole "sack the coach" one)

What are those actions?

I agree that he isn't the only problem. I also think that he is a very defensive coach in a league that has changed rules to be a more attacking game. Is this a terminal problem? I don't know. I am concerned though.

I highly doubt that lol. He was gone before our EF. Did not look happy or excited at all during that came. Barely celebrated.

Learning more about JLo.

Was he playing Logue correctly? No. Only worked in the Melb and Bris games.

Did we need to trade him? Absolutely not. But he decided a b22 defender lock and an extra 300k at North were better than here.

Was he really ignoring Lobb like suggested? I hope so. Lobb was on his way out way before. Deserved the cold shoulder.

Was he getting the best out of Acres? Yes.

Did we need to trade him? No.

Was JL responsible for trading him? No.

Was JL responsible for lowballing him that lead to his trade request? No.

Was he playing Logue correctly? No. Only worked in the Melb and Bris games.

Did we need to trade him? Absolutely not. But he decided a b22 defender lock and an extra 300k at North were better than here.

Was he really ignoring Lobb like suggested? I hope so. Lobb was on his way out way before. Deserved the cold shoulder.

Was he getting the best out of Acres? Yes.

Did we need to trade him? No.

Was JL responsible for trading him? No.

Was JL responsible for lowballing him that lead to his trade request? No.

To suggest the coach has no involvement or influence in trading is nieve.

What are those actions?

I agree that he isn't the only problem. I also think that he is a very defensive coach in a league that has changed rules to be a more attacking game. Is this a terminal problem? I don't know. I am concerned though.
They might have done this already, but if you were concerned about any blindspots one thing you could do is use Longmuir's strategic smarts by getting him to review his gameplan from the viewpoint of say McRae and identify all the points of weakness etc and how McRae might disrupt it.

Adjusting the coaching structure and/or personnel is another. While not always the deepest thinkers, having someone who is higher on the extroversion scale in and around the top of the coaching panel aint a bad idea. Having a big, friendly (ideally also highly optimistic & funny) extrovert to bring robust engagement with and between people in that tense environment could help players get out of themselves more and bring good energy flow.

It's going to be very interesting to see what the club do with our coaching department at seasons end. My preference and what I think the club will do, is keep JL, but do a thorough and brutal review of the assistants and if any of them aren't top notch or don't project as potentially being top notch then flick em. We need to have someone within our ranks that has the potential to be a premiership winning head coach, and this time don't let them go and instead promote them!

They might have done this already, but if you were concerned about any blindspots one thing you could do is use Longmuir's strategic smarts by getting him to review his gameplan from the viewpoint of say McRae and identify all the points of weakness etc and how McRae might disrupt it.

Adjusting the coaching structure and/or personnel is another. While not always the deepest thinkers, having someone who is higher on the extroversion scale in and around the top of the coaching panel aint a bad idea. Having a big, friendly (ideally also highly optimistic & funny) extrovert to bring robust engagement with and between people in that tense environment could help players get out of themselves more and bring good energy flow.
Something of this. My spectator take on Cox and to some degree Ryan from Saturday's game is they seemed undermotivated. Bit like kids who play up when they know the adult in their lives isn't taking proper charge and managing them properly.

Something of this. My spectator take on Cox and to some degree Ryan from Saturday's game is they seemed undermotivated. Bit like kids who play up when they know the adult in their lives isn't taking proper charge and managing them properly.
That might just be the lack of "confidence" pervading the team at the moment, which can diffuse that sense of purpose. Some of that lack of confidence is feels and some might be a bit of that second-guessing Longmuir has been talking about.

They're AFL footballers, so they're fully capable of summoning their own motivations, but a bit of a vibe person, someone who both marches to their own (or team) beat but is attuned to others and how to integrate their beat into the best channel, could be handy right now.

It's going to be very interesting to see what the club do with our coaching department at seasons end. My preference and what I think the club will do, is keep JL, but do a thorough and brutal review of the assistants and if any of them aren't top notch or don't project as potentially being top notch then flick em. We need to have someone within our ranks that has the potential to be a premiership winning head coach, and this time don't let them go and instead promote them!

Easier said than done to get better assistants.

Most good assistants who have aspirations/ability of being a senior coach will not lower themselves to coach at a minnow club under one of the lesser coaches in the competition, in a location that likely requires them to uproot their family. If they are genuinely good, they will be able to get a job at a marquee club and/or marquee coach that will look much better on their resume.

It's the reason we can only get the dregs of the assistant coaching ranks. We are basically relying on ex-WA/Freo boys club members, plus right now it seems we have turned into a boys club for a Footscray era that had no real success. And if anyone has connections outside Freo and happens to actually be good (e.g. Chris Scott), they will leave fairly soon and we are back to square one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back