Keep a lid on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
This isnt directed at any individuals on BF or what people are posting or anyone at the GFC in particular. It's just a general point of view that at nearly half way through the season we are in very good shape for 2007.

That's the issue though...if you count finals we are barely over a third of the way through the season. Long way to go. Sides who win premierships can often be outside the 8 at this point of the season and it's at this critical time they start to get rolling.

Whilst I have no current complaints about how the Cats are going and quite genuinely I think they are doing a good job of trying to keep a lid on it down there as we speak...I just hope that trend really does continue.

It is a very competitive league now the AFL and some very good sides are really hurting at the moment and will be looking for redemption and they will have sides like Geelong squarely in their sights right about now.

Keep it up Cats but lets all keep a lid on it as well.

This response isn't directed at you WAG, or similarly, at any other person in particular, but I feel the need given this sort of "let's keep the lid on it!" post/thread comes up every week or so.

I'm sure everyone wants to adopt the viewpoint currently held by the club (or at the very least, the public perception they're creating around themselves) - that of keeping a lid on things - and I honestly don't expect them to say anything else (it would be irresponsible to, conversely, say 'we can and will win it'), but I really wonder what it's all about.

I mean, we tell ourselves to bottle it all up, why? As a precautionary means to make the potential (some say inevitable) fall softer? I just guess the opposite view is that, given the way we're playing, and the expectations now built up (most of it rightly more than wrongly, now), any such fall would be bloody hard as it is and any such failure would bloody hurt in any case, no?

This isn't to be interpreted as a cocky post welcoming the pre-popping of champagne bottles, but what exactly is everyone bottling up? Are we just throwing away a line that's fast becoming a cliche?

The point was well raised by Healy and Grybus last night on the telecast. They used the 2006 Crows as an example. This time last year the Crows looked unbeatable and premiership certanties. But late in the season they got a few injuries to key players and was beaten in the PF. Although I thought making the PF was a decent effort for the Crows in the end.

But the point was it is a long season and at the moment our injuries are managable and we shouldn't go counting our chickens before they hatch.

At least Bomber is talking it all down which is a good sign that the club has its focus on the right place. I don't care if fans or media get carried away, as long as the team keeps things real.

But I am not going to stop enjoying our victories just because of some fear that it all may come crashing down any moment because I don't believe it will.

What's wrong of basking in the sun,have we not endured the pain for long enough.If it all comes tumbling down we will endure again.
Were winning,let us enjoy!!:):)

This response isn't directed at you WAG, or similarly, at any other person in particular, but I feel the need given this sort of "let's keep the lid on it!" post/thread comes up every week or so.

I'm sure everyone wants to adopt the viewpoint currently held by the club (or at the very least, the public perception they're creating around themselves) - that of keeping a lid on things - and I honestly don't expect them to say anything else (it would be irresponsible to, conversely, say 'we can and will win it'), but I really wonder what it's all about.

I mean, we tell ourselves to bottle it all up, why? As a precautionary means to make the potential (some say inevitable) fall softer? I just guess the opposite view is that, given the way we're playing, and the expectations now built up (most of it rightly more than wrongly, now), any such fall would be bloody hard as it is and any such failure would bloody hurt in any case, no?

This isn't to be interpreted as a cocky post welcoming the pre-popping of champagne bottles, but what exactly is everyone bottling up? Are we just throwing away a line that's fast becoming a cliche?

I agree that it's a cliche...and there are heaps of cliches going around in the afl as we all know.

I agree also let the players, club and us the supporters enjoy the weekly victories as they come. That's what it's all about after all.

My main point/s are for the club to just keep going the way they are and not change what they are doing. They have found a way to be successful and just encouraging them to keep that weekly focus. It's working for them.

The other point is at round 10 no matter how good we look right now it's too early to suggest September. I guess it was just a gentle reminder of that simple fact. Let the season just run it's course and discuss things as they become relevant.

What's wrong of basking in the sun,have we not endured the pain for long enough.If it all comes tumbling down we will endure again.
Were winning,let us enjoy!!:):)

Totally agree. My point wasnt to stop enjoying the weekly wins. Go for it...I know I am loving it right now. This is relevant to your post also CF above...

In hindsight I shouldnt have used this hackneyed expression...but I did because I was probably too lazy to think of something else.

I hope we continue to discuss what is relevant to us in the season and not start searching too far ahead. Thats it.

I agree CatmanForever also...I dont think the form is going to stop either. It is all dependent on just realising what has made them successful so far and sticking to it.

"One week at a time" , isnt that what all the good sides say.

But there sure is room for a little bit of gloating and back patting. The lid can be a tiny bit ajar surely

I think Bomber's comments after last nights match; "What keeps us going is that we've been in this situation before, and we've collapsed and crashed" seemed odd. I say this because he's been asked several times this year to compare previous seasons to this one, and he has flatly refused to, citing a "different Geelong". Bomber probably does use last year as motivation behind the scenes, but refuses to say that he does.

Nah you guys look unstoppable and WILL win the 2007 flag and win it in a canter. The eagles and swans are shaky and there aren't any other serious contenders.

Pencil it in as a certainty the cats will be 2007 premiers and may even go undefeated ala lions in 2001.

Nah you guys look unstoppable and WILL win the 2007 flag and win it in a canter. The eagles and swans are shaky and there aren't any other serious contenders.

Pencil it in as a certainty the cats will be 2007 premiers and may even go undefeated ala lions in 2001.

:D

I think this is the main concern, others pumping up the team as premiership hopefuls....although this post is just having a go at the thread.

Well they may as well give us the cup now ,
Just been watching Footy classified and both Gary & Wayne said we can win it and are in the best possy to do so.

Boy ... I think we have it in the bag now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well they may as well give us the cup now ,
Just been watching Footy classified and both Gary & Wayne said we can win it and are in the best possy to do so.

Boy ... I think we have it in the bag now.
I think I'd be happier if someone bagged us for a while. Hell Walls is back on us again & that worries me. Terry Wallet is dribbling s**t...again.

I think Bomber's comments after last nights match; "What keeps us going is that we've been in this situation before, and we've collapsed and crashed" seemed odd.

That's exactly why we try to keep a lid on it. Those of us who've been around a while have seen the Cats play like this many times before, but have we won a flag? No. So while I'm going to enjoy the great footy we're playing at the moment, I'm also not going to get my hopes up too much because I've been burnt by this club too many times.

That's the plan, but unfortunately I don't have a crystal ball so I'm going to have to see if you're right. In the meantime, we'll remain Geelong fans. We know better!

hmmm....

i kinda think that i like the idea of being pumped up, by everyone, halfway thru but still being able to get the job done. to win a flag, by any means neccessary, would be great - but to be an irresistible force thru the season would be better - they'd be seen as a great cup winning team. we had our 'upstart' shot in '04, possibly '05.

I am not saying they are there but i like the idea of the aura of the powerhouse. we should never 'play to not lose'.

That's exactly why we try to keep a lid on it. Those of us who've been around a while have seen the Cats play like this many times before, but have we won a flag? No. So while I'm going to enjoy the great footy we're playing at the moment, I'm also not going to get my hopes up too much because I've been burnt by this club too many times.

Well put. It's actually quite encouraging though that all the players and coaching staff seem to have things well under control in that regard. Perhaps the lessons of previous years have been learnt at last.

I heard on the radio the other day that over the last few years the teams in the 8 at round 9 or 10 generally stayed in about the same position until the finals. So look forward to the finals Cats, Hawks, Kangas, Woods etc.

There goes the lid. We've never been very good at hanging onto that thing.

intro.jpg

Well put. It's actually quite encouraging though that all the players and coaching staff seem to have things well under control in that regard. Perhaps the lessons of previous years have been learnt at last.
I dont understand that comment: "burnt by the club"?
Why? Did they steal your first born? Did you work for them and did they fire you? Did they stetal your identity and rack a big debt?
I live and breathe Geelong as much as most, have done for 30 odd years, but "burnt by the club"?.......thats a huge thing to say. This is football - you win some you lose some. You can be promising and not deliver because something hasnt clicked, or the other team was better on the day, or a couple of easy missed shots on goal lost the game, or whatever. "Burnt by the club" implies a deliberate act and FFS i dont think that ever happnes. These guys dont want to lose- they want to win. Everyone does. But not everyone can. I actually enjoy the rollercoaster that supporting Geelong is - and I dont mind Collingwood - at least they are passionate about the game. I think we should re-assess before we make such sweeping statements..........and thats my two cents.......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back