Ken Hinkley has a better win percentage than Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Every time Port Adelaide made the top 4 under Hinkley since 2020, I didn’t consider them a serious threat for the flag. I considered Geelong, Melbourne, Brisbane, Collingwood, Western Bulldogs, Sydney etc. as serious threats. Just not Port Adelaide. And that’s exactly the problem with Ken Hinkley. His team isn’t taken seriously, and it’s not because they lack talent.

I mean, Port Adelaide made top 4 three times since 2020. That is a great track record on paper. Yet, they didn’t make the Grand Final once. In a couple of those seasons, they weren’t even close. The fact they couldn’t make the Grand Final even once despite having two home PFs says all we need to know. Opposition teams just don’t respect them like they respect other top 4 sides.

Hinkley still has time to turn it around thanks to the contract extension. Chris Fagan turned it around this year after his team was disrespected by the opposition in a similar way. Even Chris Scott’s Geelong faced similar issues and turned it around in 2022. Only thing is that Scott was a Premiership coach early on, which earned him more time to work with.

Hinkley better hope Port at least make a Grand Final before his contract is up. Otherwise, he’d have wasted a Premiership-standard list in the 12+ years he’d have coached them.

When you remember how bad Port were when Ken first arrived it puts into perspective just how good of a job he's done.

I actually Agree.....

If you look back prior to Hinkley Being coach in 2013....

Port got smashed by your mob in that 2007 AFL grand final. In my opinion 2007 was an aberration for Port. They finished 12th in 2006 and 13th in 2008.

Then from 2008-2012, they didnt make finals. they were putrid in 2011 (3 wins) and 2012 (5 wins and 1 draw weird they didnt finish bottom 4 that year).

That 2008-12 Port era was when those tarps or bay covers were brought in.

This is why I get upset when people say Ross Lyon was a horrible coach at the dockers in 2012-19. I will always cherish every one of those 9 finals we had under ross lyon from 2012-15.

The reason I say that is that 2012-15 finals era under ross lyon is the only period of time the dockers had either a sustained run of finals or back to back finals or made finals for at least 2 years in a row.

before that late 2011 appointment of ross lyon, dockers only made finals 3 times in 17 seasons: 2003, 2006 and 2010. 2003 and 2006 was under chris Connolly era of 2002-mid 2007. That side under the Chris Connolly era should of made finals every year from 2003-2006.

post 2015, dockers only made finals once, that was in 2022.

I don't understand why Ross Lyon is so highly rated by media pundits and AFL clubs alike.

I mean, Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon have all approached Lyon these last couple of years, only for Lyon to decline their advances because he didn't want to go through a process.

Ross Lyon has clearly been head-hunted by St Kilda as they've decided to appoint him as coach rather quickly after sacking Brett Ratten, but what has Ross Lyon done to warrant being so highly regarded in the AFL industry than Ken Hinkley hasn't?
Why isn't Ken Hinkley's ability as a coach rated in the AFL industry, despite him having a superior winning percentage to Ross Lyon, yet his coaching seems to be highly rated internally at Port Adelaide and by Port supporters?
I always knew you are uneducated.

Ross Lyon has some how got Saints and Freo to grand finals.

Has Ken Hinkley got Port to a grand final?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back