Kicking Goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Carnthe

Premiership Player
May 31, 2006
Osaka
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We scored a goal approximately 1 in 8 forward 50 entries yesterday, whereas Collingwood scored 1 in every 3.4 entries. Strange that we can generate 54 inside 50s and still get flogged by 90 points. Something is not working.:confused:

We scored a goal approximately 1 in 8 forward 50 entries yesterday, whereas Collingwood scored 1 in every 3.4 entries. Strange that we can generate 54 inside 50s and still get flogged by 90 points. Something is not working.:confused:

Well I think the only encouraging thing is we got it into the inside 50 that many times, but in all seriousness I just think our finishing was very poor, but Collingwoods defence is very good, especially O'Brien, poor delivery into the forward line is the only other thing that comes to mind as to why we only scored approximately 1 in 8. However a positive is if we can get our finishing good and get more "classy" entries into the inside 50 then we could really go well for the rest of the year hopefully. But overall yesterday the finishing was not really up to standard especially seeing as we were playing against Collingwood, who are hard enough to beat taking our chances, let alone not taking them.

We missed 8 absoloute sitters with boomer missing 2 as well.

I'm 3/4's through watching the replay AGAIN (sucker for punishment) and we can't downplay the importance our poor goal kicking had on the end margin.

Every possible chance we had to remain in touch, and to hang onto some momentum, has been stuffed up with a pathetic effort kicking for goal. We've missed more than 8 absolute gimme's already, and I have a quarter to go. The commentators have mentioned how energy sapping that is for a side, and we're doing it repeatedly. It shat me live, but it's much more pronounced and crucial having watched the (first 3 qtrs of) game for the third time.

Silly errors/turnovers and goal kicking and there's the bulk of the gap on the scoreboard.

I just went through the replay.. Just to see how awful we were and infact nobody else should watch the vision again.
It makes you sick and builds up so much anger you dont need at the end of a crap weekend.
Boomer had that miss towards the end of the first quarter. Next play Sidebottom goals.
Cam Richardson woeful shot at the start of the second. Blair goals.
Boomer misses again in the 3rd. Sidebottom again goals.
Lindsay another miss in the 3rd. Daisy goals.
Thomas again missed in the last and Swan goals but by then we were down by 60 anyway. And thats the thing
Thats a 10 goal turnaround right there.
**** me you could argue that was the difference right there. Almost thread worthy but gee weve got 2 weeks to get over this crap. Fun times ahead ai.

Edit. Ttoes wasnt the best 2 hours ai. I hope they make the players watch it 7 times before Fremantle.

Edit. Ttoes wasnt the best 2 hours ai. I hope they make the players watch it 7 times before Fremantle.

It's character building as a supporter so I can only imagine what it'd do for the players. It's interesting watching it without the gameday emotion. Prior to junktime we were better than I first thought live. We had a real crack at them but completely undid any good work through the moments you mention and the goals we gifted them from primary school kiddy mistakes with our disposal.

One thing I wouldn't do, having assessed the game again, is make a whole raft of changes. One or two maybe, but that's all. I'd put it back onto the group. "Fix this or **** off! The ball's in your court boys. Deliver!"

It's character building as a supporter so I can only imagine what it'd do for the players. It's interesting watching it without the gameday emotion. Prior to junktime we were better than I first thought live. We had a real crack at them but completely undid any good work through the moments you mention and the goals we gifted them from primary school kiddy mistakes with our disposal.

One thing I wouldn't do, having assessed the game again, is make a whole raft of changes. One or two maybe, but that's all. I'd put it back onto the group. "Fix this or **** off! The ball's in your court boys. Deliver!"

On the Collingwood board most of their posters took one thing from the game. Our ability to run thru the coridoor and break down their press when we moved the ball quickly. They saw this as their weakness and if any club can do this well against them theyll get a decent shot at beating the Pies. The problem with us was we were just too slow to do it often.
Your right aswell about their goals. The Grima and Cunnington turnovers absolutely destroy me. But even last week against West Coast how often did we see Didak or Cloke or Thomas walking into an unmarked goal??
I cant wait till Bastinac and Greenwood come back. Ryan is a really good decision maker who were dearly missing and Levis toughness and ability to also win the ball is killing us. But they are a fair while off. Along with Flash who might be that injection of speed we dream of which we can use with Flash as sub.
Like you I want to see the same side run out against Freo. Just want to see their response. Would like to know the ruling on AFL teams byes and listed players playing in the VFL?

I recall two of our goals come from mis-kicks. The first from Cunnington was not hit sweetly and one of Lyndsay's was a shocker.
Edwards also took a mark 48m out and didn't make the distance despite turning his back on play indicating as if he was capable of kicking it goal post high. A man has to know his limitations.

Our goal-kicking was piss-poor and utterly demoralising.

I thought our tackling was worse. I can't believe how many tackles didn't stick. I know it is tough playing the Pies, but still. Unforgivable.

I equate kicking for goal like catching in cricket. You just gotta practice it over & over again so that it becomes instinctive. Because it's instinctive acts/thoughts that cope best with pressure.
The problem with kicking for goal from set shots or taking skied catches in cricket is that you have time to think about the process & if you dont have a rock-solid process that works for you 100's of times a week at training, you are doomed.
And like a team that has the dropsy's in cricket, poor kicking for goal is contagious.

And its instincts that a sportsman will always revert to under pressure. Remember this - Steffi Graf was a great baseline tennis player but useless up at the net. She then apparently `practiced' her volleying to improve that part of her game. In matches where she was cruising, she'd come to the net occasionally. But in tight, pressure situations, she would NEVER approach the net because she just was not comfortable there - her instincts told her to stay back at the baseline. It takes a hell of a lot of practice to make something become instinctive - not just a token gesture half hour here & there. 1000's of repetitions under match-like conditions (which can be difficult to simulate obviously) are necessary to make something become instinctive.
Apparently in this era of professionalism, hours spent practising kicking for goal is not as important as sprint recovery, endurance, rehab etc. Which baffles me because in the end, there's no point generating shots for goal if they are not converted. I think coaches just hope that their players are good enough to convert.

We need a big guy at FF. On the break, that is when the Fb shits himself, period. Imagine a whole 50 open for Petrie to lead into, I would be banking on him then. This is where Warren is missed, he gut runs around and can get into space that Edwards and co just don't have the will to get into.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need a big guy at FF. On the break, that is when the Fb shits himself, period. Imagine a whole 50 open for Petrie to lead into, I would be banking on him then. This is where Warren is missed, he gut runs around and can get into space that Edwards and co just don't have the will to get into.

Yeah, baffling why Petrie was never allowed any time in the goalsquare.
Dawes is a good example of what's needed - he is not a particularly good mark or anything special, but he has size, and doesn't mind using it.

Yeah, baffling why Petrie was never allowed any time in the goalsquare.
Dawes is a good example of what's needed - he is not a particularly good mark or anything special, but he has size, and doesn't mind using it.

Time for Azza to step up and assume a midfield role IMO. He has all the attributes, including the sleeve.

I equate kicking for goal like catching in cricket. You just gotta practice it over & over again so that it becomes instinctive. Because it's instinctive acts/thoughts that cope best with pressure.
The problem with kicking for goal from set shots or taking skied catches in cricket is that you have time to think about the process & if you dont have a rock-solid process that works for you 100's of times a week at training, you are doomed.
And like a team that has the dropsy's in cricket, poor kicking for goal is contagious.

And its instincts that a sportsman will always revert to under pressure. Remember this - Steffi Graf was a great baseline tennis player but useless up at the net. She then apparently `practiced' her volleying to improve that part of her game. In matches where she was cruising, she'd come to the net occasionally. But in tight, pressure situations, she would NEVER approach the net because she just was not comfortable there - her instincts told her to stay back at the baseline. It takes a hell of a lot of practice to make something become instinctive - not just a token gesture half hour here & there. 1000's of repetitions under match-like conditions (which can be difficult to simulate obviously) are necessary to make something become instinctive.
Apparently in this era of professionalism, hours spent practising kicking for goal is not as important as sprint recovery, endurance, rehab etc. Which baffles me because in the end, there's no point generating shots for goal if they are not converted. I think coaches just hope that their players are good enough to convert.
Stop making sense and get back to posting nicknames and inside jokes. :stern look

l know we have a forward coach but why dont we have someone teaching our forwards a proper technique for sets shots at goal. Is there anyone (Ex players)with a high goal kicking rate who we could get to help l was thinking of someone on the lines of Nathan Thompson, Peter McKenna (l know hes getting old but he had the most basic style of goalkicking), Bernie Quinlan, Jason Dunstall. ect ect...

Bon spoke on this subject tonight on AFL Insider, pointing out that our forwards will kick 20 goals straight from all sorts of angles at training BUT, as Saturday showed, once the pressure of gameday's upon them they're missing even the most basic shots.

He said he's always searching for the blokes amongst the current group, and out in the wider footy community when seeking recruits, who soak up that pressure and who want the footy in their hands in front of the goals during the high pressure moments.

He raised Brendan Goddard as an example of someone who's 100% sure of his technique, and his composure under pressure, that he demands the pill.

Spoke about how a couple of early misses can lead to the misses becoming contagious.

Dunstall asked "In your North Melbourne side who would you want shooting at goal for your life?"

Bon "Brent Harvey! He can handle the pressure."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back