Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
What's with em. A few traits are:

– Even people of five to ten years ago are rarely 6'4 for a man or 5'10 for a girl yet this comes up heaps for teenagers. Why? I think there's just as many average height people but instead of there being a heap of 6'0-6'2 guys they're spread from 6'1 to 6'5. So the average is the same but the mean is wacked out?

– They dress better. I mean I grew up in a time where at our teenage peak, blokes looked cool in Volleys, coloured skinnies, tight white t-shirts with logos, and their hair messy at the back and slicked down at the front like a front rower for a low-ladder NRL team. These days kids look cool. Well every guy looks like a wigga but girls look cool.

– They seem less interested in sport and more into music (but s**t music like Flume). Will the AFL suck in 10 years and be full of athletes who people pretend are good a few years into their career like Nic Nat?

– They swear heaps. Maybe I just hear bogans but I live on the Rolls Royce of train lines that even Melbourne can't compete with. The most mixed suburb on there is the end: Freo, where a house is a good mil at least. What's with them?

– Nightclubs are scary, rare treats for them, and even in cities of millions there is one that exists on a Saturday 'worth' going to. Maybe two. There used to be suburban shitholes, country shitholes, city shitholes... but there was a shitholes for people into indie, people into rap, people into drugs before events catered entirely to it. Young people these days don't go down a pub on a Tuesday, a club then pub on Thursday, and an array of joints on a Saturday. They just don't care. They probably don't even do pre drinks

– They go to Europe too much. campaigners

– They love followers more than likes on a status update or a pc4pc or actual friends who are funny and engaging and cool. They live for the gram. They'd rather go to a shithole country for a good photo than an ugly joint where they laugh for four nights straight and end up with an MDMA comedown despite just drinking beers and laughing too much. They're pillocks

– They all think they're tough. Back five years ago you at least folded when someone bigger came up to you. Do they have knives?

– Guitars sound weird to them yet Nirvana shirts sell for 20 bucks in a General Pants.

– They love sneakers. When I was 18 girls wore jelly sandals to clubs and I thought they were cool, now they all wear black Vans, high top Cons, One Stars, or Pumas and sometimes throw a colour in. Has there ever been an era ever where girls want to wear sneakers more than anything else from day to day or to a club?

– They're socially *ed. Quite often in my job I interact with teenagers from all age groups and they're all so *in awkward. My role revolves around 'g'day, so... [one or other]' and they look at me strangely. They all lack personality yet laugh and giggle around their mates and freeze up when other people step in front of them. Why is this? Why do they revolve around social media? Why don't their parents kick their arse?

They just seem like little shits with no appealling traits aside from some maybe being hot (who are 18). Seriously. They all suck.

tldr I wish I was young, 6'4, and had options of girls with their best years ahead.

Most of these are actually good things and yet you talk it down because they are kids. Seriously, you are looking down on kids because some don't go clubbing/ to the pub as much? this is a pisstake surely.

Teenagers are socially awkward because that is what teenagers are. They worry about what others think of them and get nervous/angsty easy. They grow out of it as they get older.

Last edited:
their parents should kid their arse because they are nervous around people and giggle with their mates?

think I'm starting to see why you have the rep you do around here.....

"I wish I was young so I could brag about how tall and tough I was, then go out and get s**t faced every night and have a piss up at the football game.. My parents would kick my arse if I didn't spend all my weekend hungover, was nervous around people and had a laugh with my mates"

I'm not saying teens especially can't be s**t heads (they always have been, aways will be), but if this is really your attitude, because they aren't the same as you when you were growing up, maybe you're the one with the issue?

Last edited:

If weekday pubbing was never a staple of your late teens and twenties then I have no idea what you are actually contributing to the world*

*Unless you were a nerd doing some hardcore gaming*

*There really is plenty of time for both*

*Do nerds even go to the pub anymore*

*Are nerds even a thing? It seems comic books are the in thing these days

I interact with teenagers regularly and haven't noticed any of those things, except for the awkwardness and the keeping up of appearances (fancy clothing, followers, good photos)...

Also not sure why you're using your age as the excuse why you can't get with any hot 18 year old chicky babes? All I'm picturing is you as some pencil necked manlet on the corner of the dance floor having a cry because the girls are rejecting you in favour of the superior specimens.

Silent Alarm went on this silly little tangent where most of these are just minorities or actually good kids unlike SA in his peak cool kids days.

But there is one trait he neglected to mention and if he really does interact with teens he would notice it.

- The fact they use the word "like"after every ******* word and use "literally" out of context.

that is my biggest gripe with teens of today.

Silent Alarm went on this silly little tangent where most of these are just minorities or actually good kids unlike SA in his peak cool kids days.

But there is one trait he neglected to mention and if he really does interact with teens he would notice it.

- The fact they use the word "like"after every ******* word and use "literally" out of context.

I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear that over 10% of my posts contain "like".

Do you actually use it in context though or do you like use it like unnecessarily just like because like you can? :p
Sometimes like I just use it as like a filler word.

I wonder if the op has a girlfriend... I could only imagine when he's out in public with her, all he would do is analyse any guy they come across, feeling threatened by the presence of a potential rival, like he's some kind of primitive creature.

'Oh crap that fella's got an inch of height on me, quick cross the road before my girlfriend sees him'. 'Bloody hell this lad's got them new adidas trainers, quick we'll slip through this alley way to get away from him'. 'Gee whiz look at the biceps on this alpha, eff it, if I invite him back with us maybe they'll let me join in'.

What a queer lad he is the op.

Silent Alarm is just pissed because he wasn't old enough to appreciate the awesome 90s music scene.

That's why his username is Silent Alarm and not OK Computer.

To his credit he picked one of the best albums from the noughties though.

I bought it so it must be good.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blind People think they're so cool. They're awkward campaigners who live at home and have s**t taste in clothes. You never see them at music festivals or nightclubs but act smug and look at you weirdly if you try to talk to them. Some of them are hot but whatever, what do they actually do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Blind People think they're so cool. They're awkward campaigners who live at home and have s**t taste in clothes. You never see them at music festivals or nightclubs but act smug and look at you weirdly if you try to talk to them. Some of them are hot but whatever, what do they actually do?

They tend to not go sight seeing or to the cinema either... the *s wrong with em?

We live in a decaying age. Young people no longer respect their parents. They are rude and impatient. They frequently inhabit taverns and have no self-control." These words - expressing the all-too-familiar contemporary condemnation of young people - were actually inscribed on a 6,000-year-old Egyptian tomb.

Later, in the fourth century BC, Plato was heard to remark: "What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets, inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"

And then, a few hundred years later, in AD1274, Peter the Hermit joined the chorus. "The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint ... As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behaviour and dress."
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2009/mar/17/ephebiphobia-young-people-mosquito
OPs navel gazing is more rites of passage than anything else, if he'd been alive in the 80s he would have lamented the rise of gangster wrap and the permissiveness of the younger generation.

And every sentence starts with "So, ..."

What the *?

A bit harsh to bag blind people for their taste in clothes when they can't see what they're wearing, they would need other people to tell them what clothes look good and if those people were arseholes they might tell them some s**t clothes look good and they would be none the wiser.

When I think of hot blind people the first one that comes to mind is that blind girl in Mask, old Rocky was punching well above his weight there.

Blank+_052e4ca6008e1707dff023dc4694caf9.jpg

I work with kids of all ages (newborns to teens) and on the whole they are awesome
It’s unfair to judge people for things they cannot change (whether it’s age, height , blindness etc) .

Silent Alarm you have a very narrow worldview and seem to be obsessed with youth. Relax and enjoy life a bit more.
Ironically he’s the epitome of youth himself :p

I suppose deaf people have s**t taste in music as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back