Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, very quick reply.

I disagree about the interstate talent being thin this year.

Just looking at the Northern academies, excluding Sydney, but the other three each have two or three draft-able kids, each with a kid who could be in first round consideration, and another who should be a second round prospect.

SA has 4 or 5 potential first round talents and WA has 3 or 4.

The only difference is that SA doesn’t have a kid in the pick 1 discussion this year, but rather more like a top 5 pick.
Funny though that Sydney kept O'Neil quiet.
Green lots of touches, but mostly ineffective..
Are 3 from 3 in the NAB.
I think what is missed is that the Swans have bred a team of players that work for each other and are not reliant on one or two stars.
Find a forward who has won a battle against Parkes!
Find a midfield who has found the ball more than the Swans!
Why does Gulden get so many touches? Thorn, Parker, Swaney, McGrath tough unrelenting defence!
Look for a big guy like Ellam who will lay it off to a better placed team mate rather then glory shoot!
Lets see how much ball Ash gets this weekend!
Also funny... Power is a Qld player and coach/selector of Allies. Giants must have talent because they are from the Riverina, Tassie is a traditional AFL state, and the Swans are maligned by Eddie!
Again.. Swans smashed GWS twice, Tassie were never really in the game, and apparently they have no top end talent.
I would refute that. They have plenty of players who could easily slip into an AFL program, but won't have the opportunity because they play team footy.
Let the Allies be selected by people who know them ALL, get the Vics out of the selection process.

Sorry, very quick reply.

Just looking at the Northern academies, excluding Sydney, but the other three each have two or three draft-able kids, each with a kid who could be in first round consideration, and another who should be a second round prospect.

The only difference is that SA doesn’t have a kid in the pick 1 discussion this year, but rather more like a top 5 pick.
And I guess if you look at the wins Qld u16 and u17 had over the Rams, it would appear on first impressions that the Qld team was better.
Yes, they won both games .. however, what is not told, is that there HAD to be a quota of GWS players, meaning that several good Swans kids missed the games due to having to LET GWS kids fill their space.
So lets take a look at the whole picture, and the large issues that this team has faced and still faces.
The proof will be in the pudding!

Funny though that Sydney kept O'Neil quiet.
Green lots of touches, but mostly ineffective..
Are 3 from 3 in the NAB.
I think what is missed is that the Swans have bred a team of players that work for each other and are not reliant on one or two stars.
Find a forward who has won a battle against Parkes!
Find a midfield who has found the ball more than the Swans!
Why does Gulden get so many touches? Thorn, Parker, Swaney, McGrath tough unrelenting defence!
Look for a big guy like Ellam who will lay it off to a better placed team mate rather then glory shoot!
Lets see how much ball Ash gets this weekend!
Also funny... Power is a Qld player and coach/selector of Allies. Giants must have talent because they are from the Riverina, Tassie is a traditional AFL state, and the Swans are maligned by Eddie!
Again.. Swans smashed GWS twice, Tassie were never really in the game, and apparently they have no top end talent.
I would refute that. They have plenty of players who could easily slip into an AFL program, but won't have the opportunity because they play team footy.
Let the Allies be selected by people who know them ALL, get the Vics out of the selection process.
That's great then. Sydney should be able to load up on their academy kids for cheap at the draft.

I'd love to see the academy teams play full strength Vic teams, to see how our better kids do against their better kids. Unfortunately doesn't look like it will happen.

I didn't mention Gulden because he's 2020 draft.

But I did mention on the Lions draft thread last night that Gulden is potentially better than all of this years potential academy draftees.

Will Lachlan Ash be playing Nab League or does he play private school footy?

Sorry, very quick reply.

The interstate talent this year is closer to the norm rather than particularly thin but in SA, WA and the Div 2 states relative to last year I view the talent as thinner and that's because of how exceptional those groups were last year with SA and Div 2 produce more quality talent than they ever have in any previous year. Both for top end talent and depth div 2 and SA was much stronger with WA not far off 2018. This year what makes the div 2 talent pool look better is a lot of the overagers with as many draftable overagers as there are of those eligible for the first time this year.

As a hypothetical to assess the strength of 2018 v 2019 it would be interesting to see a 2018 best 22 v a 2019 best 22.

*Excluding mature age talent. Brayden Ham only overage included for 2018.

2018:
B: Connor Rozee Ben King Sydney Stack
HB: Xavier Duursma Jack Lukosius Jordan Clark
CEN: Jackson Hately Sam Walsh Zak Butters
HF: Izak Rankine Nick Blakey Chayce Jones
F: Connor McFadyen Max King Sam Sturt
FOLL: Kieran Briggs Bailey Smith Jye Caldwell
BENCH: Riley Collier-Dawkins Jack Ross Rhylee West Liam Stocker
Others of projected AFL quality (unordered): Luke Valente Noah Gown Jarrod Cameron Bailey Williams Tarryn Thomas Curtis Taylor Ned McHenry Tom Joyce Ely Smith Jez McLennan Boyd Woodcock Xavier O'Halloran Thomas Sparrow Jack Bytel Isaac Quaynor Ian Hill James Rowbottom Justin McInerney Bailey Scott Brayden Ham

2019:
B: Lachlan Ash Corey Watts Hayden Young
HB: Jeremy Sharp Will Gould Joshua Worrell
CEN: Dylan Stephens Matthew Rowell Mitch O'Neill
HF: Caleb Serong Charlie Dean Dylan Williams
F: Sam Flanders Liam Delahunty Noah Anderson
FOLL: Luke Jackson Thomas Green Brodie Kemp
BENCH: Cameron Taheny Ryan Byrnes Deven Robertson Jay Rantall
Others who project to be of AFL quality (unordered): Josh Gore Jack Mahony Thomson Dow Cooper Stephens Jackson Mead Lachlan Potter Mitch Mellis Karl Finlay Malcolm Rosas Jr Trent Bianco Will Martyn Will Papley *for this exercise I excluded overagers as there is lack of clarity around whether they will get picked.

I expect another 3-7 from 2019 to put up their hand outside of this group, maybe one or two drop out, but I do see this year as shallower. In terms of 2019 being weaker the KPP stocks are where 2019 is definitively weaker with the rest of the field largely comparable.

Overall 2019 particularly up that pointy end and inside that top 5 looks really nice, but otherwise it's more just a good draft than a special draft or super draft.

That's great then. Sydney should be able to load up on their academy kids for cheap at the draft.

I'd love to see the academy teams play full strength Vic teams, to see how our better kids do against their better kids. Unfortunately doesn't look like it will happen.

I didn't mention Gulden because he's 2020 draft.

But I did mention on the Lions draft thread last night that Gulden is potentially better than all of this years potential academy draftees.

Will Lachlan Ash be playing Nab League or does he play private school footy?
Hopefully NAB.. but who knows.
I would love that too.
Gulden good, but take a lok at his 1%ers and clangers.
Any pressure and he is a turn style.
Fantastic at getting into the right place though.
I would disagree with your assessment.
But respect your opinion

I notice you didn't give Ruck prospect Nick Bryan a mention in your wrap up Chris?
I thought he was quite impressive personally, what was your take on his game.

Fairly solid through the ruck. Competitive enough. Not an easy task v VFL grade ruckmen. Good to see him take a grab up forward and convert a goal. Skills seemed fine.

Seems like a ruckman with scope to improve. It's good to see there is more than just Jackson can play the position.

Knightmare
Great write up on the AFL academy game and just wanted to see if the stats are available from the game somewhere? or really just after touches for Green and if Delahunty kicked any if that is easier?

Knightmare
Great write up on the AFL academy game and just wanted to see if the stats are available from the game somewhere? or really just after touches for Green and if Delahunty kicked any if that is easier?

Frustratingly I have not received any stats this week.

Fortunately it looks like AFLDraftCentral did. They listed:

Green 11 disposals, 3 marks.

Delahunty 4 disposals, 4 tackles and one goal.

Fairly solid through the ruck. Competitive enough. Not an easy task v VFL grade ruckmen. Good to see him take a grab up forward and convert a goal. Skills seemed fine.

Seems like a ruckman with scope to improve. It's good to see there is more than just Jackson can play the position.

Has Bryan played any time as a forward? Would be interesting in a year that seems light of KPF..

Has Bryan played any time as a forward? Would be interesting in a year that seems light of KPF..

No sign that he can play forward from any of his other games.

Until he starts going forward and kicking more goals, it's a one off that you can't assume he can replicate with regularity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The interstate talent this year is closer to the norm rather than particularly thin but in SA, WA and the Div 2 states relative to last year I view the talent as thinner and that's because of how exceptional those groups were last year with SA and Div 2 produce more quality talent than they ever have in any previous year. Both for top end talent and depth div 2 and SA was much stronger with WA not far off 2018. This year what makes the div 2 talent pool look better is a lot of the overagers with as many draftable overagers as there are of those eligible for the first time this year.

As a hypothetical to assess the strength of 2018 v 2019 it would be interesting to see a 2018 best 22 v a 2019 best 22.

*Excluding mature age talent. Brayden Ham only overage included for 2018.

2018:
B: Connor Rozee Ben King Sydney Stack
HB: Xavier Duursma Jack Lukosius Jordan Clark
CEN: Jackson Hately Sam Walsh Zak Butters
HF: Izak Rankine Nick Blakey Chayce Jones
F: Connor McFadyen Max King Sam Sturt
FOLL: Kieran Briggs Bailey Smith Jye Caldwell
BENCH: Riley Collier-Dawkins Jack Ross Rhylee West Liam Stocker
Others of projected AFL quality (unordered): Luke Valente Noah Gown Jarrod Cameron Bailey Williams Tarryn Thomas Curtis Taylor Ned McHenry Tom Joyce Ely Smith Jez McLennan Boyd Woodcock Xavier O'Halloran Thomas Sparrow Jack Bytel Isaac Quaynor Ian Hill James Rowbottom Justin McInerney Bailey Scott Brayden Ham

2019:
B: Lachlan Ash Corey Watts Hayden Young
HB: Jeremy Sharp Will Gould Joshua Worrell
CEN: Dylan Stephens Matthew Rowell Mitch O'Neill
HF: Caleb Serong Charlie Dean Dylan Williams
F: Sam Flanders Liam Delahunty Noah Anderson
FOLL: Luke Jackson Thomas Green Brodie Kemp
BENCH: Cameron Taheny Ryan Byrnes Deven Robertson Jay Rantall
Others who project to be of AFL quality (unordered): Josh Gore Jack Mahony Thomson Dow Cooper Stephens Jackson Mead Lachlan Potter Mitch Mellis Karl Finlay Malcolm Rosas Jr Trent Bianco Will Martyn Will Papley *for this exercise I excluded overagers as there is lack of clarity around whether they will get picked.

I expect another 3-7 from 2019 to put up their hand outside of this group, maybe one or two drop out, but I do see this year as shallower. In terms of 2019 being weaker the KPP stocks are where 2019 is definitively weaker with the rest of the field largely comparable.

Overall 2019 particularly up that pointy end and inside that top 5 looks really nice, but otherwise it's more just a good draft than a special draft or super draft.

josh gore afl quality but budarick not?

Sorry k you might have answered this out of interest where did you have Sydney Stack last year if anywhere? Shaping up as recruitment of the season

22 in my power rankings in 2018. And was in/out of my top 20 from the U18 Champs. And was the only player inside my top 30 who went undrafted.

He's exceeding even my expectations as I haven't seen him play back as someone who played as a midfielder when I was watching him last year - and looking terrific through there.

He looks like a top 15 quality prospect if I'm to review that order and pushing towards top 10.

A great recruiting decision by Richmond, though he really should have been a first half of draft pick. It was ridiculous even at the time that he went undrafted. Mind boggling stuff. And what he's showing is proving that thought process to be correct.

Does anyone on this thread know if the NAB AFL Australian Under-17 vs New Zealand game that is on today is being broadcast anywhere? I would really love to see some of the players playing.

Don't believe it is. But happy for someone to link the game or say where it's being broadcast if indeed it is.

Which is odd as it is being played at Marvel and the AFL is broadcasting NAB League games. You would think they would broadcast the Under 17's Australian side.

Would be great if they did.

I'm also disappointed Sandy v Brisbane doesn't seem to be streamed today. It's not appearing on the NAB League Youtube.

Would be great if they did.

I'm also disappointed Sandy v Brisbane doesn't seem to be streamed today. It's not appearing on the NAB League Youtube.
Nab league app streamed this match .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back